2007 VFL season
(6th minor premiership)
|Leading goalkicker||Nicholas Sautner (Sandringham)|
|J. J. Liston Trophy||James Byrne (Geelong res.)|
It was the 126th season of the Australian rules football competition.
The VFL Season is split into two sub-leagues, seniors and reserves. Both leagues have the same teams, except for Tasmania and Geelong, who only play in the seniors league. The VFL Geelong team operates as a reserves team for the AFL team of the same name.
|Home \ Away1||BEN||BOX||CAS||COB||FRA||GEE||NBR||NBU||PMB||SAN||TAS||WER||WIL|
|Box Hill Hawks
|North Ballarat Roosters
|Port Melbourne Borough
¹ Game was played at Away team's home ground
|2||Geelong reserves (P)||18||14||4||0||2139||1449||147.62||56|
|Key: P = Played, W = Won, L = Lost, D = Drawn, PF = Points For, PA = Points Against, Pct = Percentage; (P) = Premiers, PTS = Premiership points||Source|
|Qualifying / Elimination finals||Semi-finals||Preliminary finals||Grand final|
|QF1: Sep 1, Trevor Barker Beach Oval|
|4||Williamstown||17.11 (113)||SF1: Sep 8, TEAC Oval|
|EF1: Sep 1, TEAC Oval||North Ballarat||16.14 (110)||PF1: Sep 16, TEAC Oval|
|5||North Ballarat||21.22 (148)||Williamstown||11.10 (76)|
|8||Bendigo||16.15 (111)||Coburg||20.17 (137)||GF: Sep 23, MC Labour Park|
|EF2: Sep 2, Casey Fields||PF2: Sep 15, TEAC Oval||Coburg||7.10 (52)|
|6||Casey Scorpions||12.17 (89)||Geelong||24.14 (158)|
|7||Port Melbourne||15.12 (102)||SF2: Sep 9, TEAC Oval||North Ballarat||13.18 (96)|
|QF2: Sep 2, TEAC Oval||Port Melbourne||10.12 (72)|
|2007 VFL Grand Final|
|Sunday 23 September
|Geelong||def.||Coburg||MC Labour Park (Crowd: 13,842)|||
|Norm Goss Memorial Medal: Tom Lonergan (Geelong)
|Lonergan 6, Davenport 2, Hawkins 2, Cheep, Djerrkura, Gardiner, Gamble, Grima, Hogan, Varcoe||Goals||Jackson 2, Connors, Gazzo, Hill, Krakouer, Oakley-Nicholls|
- The Jim 'Frosty' Miller Medal was won for the seventh time by Nick Sautner (Sandringham), who kicked 69 goals. Sautner's seventh time as the competition's leading goalkicker broke the record of six set by the medal's namesake, Jim 'Frosty' Miller (Dandenong). Sautner won a further two medals for a career total of nine before his retirement.
- The J. J. Liston Trophy was by James Byrne (Geelong), who polled 22 votes. Byrne finished ahead of Shane Valenti (Sandringham), who was second with 20 votes, and Travis Ronaldson (Coburg), who was third with 17 votes.
- The Fothergill-Round Medal was won by Shane Valenti (Sandringham).
- Coburg won the reserves premiership. Coburg 17.20 (122) defeated Port Melbourne 8.8 (56) in the Grand Final, held as a curtain-raiser to the Seniors Grand Final on 23 September.
VFL Team of the Year
|2007 Victorian Team of the Year|
|B:||S Rosa (Bendigo)||Chris Lamb (Sandringham)||Jarrod Silvester (Coburg)|
|HB:||John Baird (Port Melbourne)||Jason Cloke (Bendigo)||Adam Iacobucci (Northern Bullants)|
|C:||Jason Davenport (Geelong)||James Byrne (Geelong) (Capt.)||David Gallagher (Sandringham)|
|HF:||Ezra Poyas (Sandringham)||Jeremy Dukes (Port Melbourne)||Peter Summers (Sandringham)|
|F:||Justin Berry (Frankston)||Nicholas Sautner (Sandringham)||Todd Grima (Geelong)|
|Foll:||Travis Ronaldson (Coburg)||Alister Neville (Coburg)||Shane Valenti (Sandringham)|
|Int:||Brett Johnson (Williamstown)||Tristan Cartledge (North Ballarat)||Nick Smith (Box Hill)|
|Kyle Matthews (Casey)|
- During the final quarter of the Round 7 match between Tasmania and Coburg at Bellerive Oval, Tasmania's Mathew Westfield collided with one of the goal posts, snapping it at its base. The game was delayed for ten minutes while a replacement goal post was installed.
- During the year, Frank Johnson, who played eight seasons for Port Melbourne from 1950 to 1957 and five for South Melbourne from 1960 to 1964, was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame. He was the first player known primarily for his VFA career ever to be inducted into the Hall of Fame (excluding players from prior to the formation of the original VFL in 1897).
- In the elimination final between North Ballarat and Bendigo, Bendigo held a 59 point lead early in the third quarter; North Ballarat then kicked 17 of the next 19 goals to record a 37 point win.
- List of VFA/VFL premiers
- Australian Rules Football
- Victorian Football League
- Australian Football League
- 2007 AFL season
- Geoff Poulter (24 September 2007). "Flag No. 1 to Cats". Herald Sun. Melbourne, VIC. p. 42.
- "Frosty Miller Medallists". Fox Sports Pulse. 25 May 2016. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "2007 Medallists across Australia". Footystats Diary. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Fothergill-Round Medallists". Sportingpulse. 29 October 2014. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "Sport". Herald Sun. Melbourne, VIC. 24 September 2007. p. 63.
- Sean Cusick (20 May 2007). "Tassie Devil dares to join Lethal in he-man club". The Sunday Age (Sports liftout). Melbourne, VIC. p. 2.
- "The Australian Football Hall of Fame Players Inducted". Australian Football League. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- Luke West (21 August 2014). "10 games we won't forget". Bendigo Advertiser. Bendigo, VIC. Retrieved 30 July 2016.