2007 in Scottish television
This is a list of events in Scottish television from 2007.
- 7 January – Death of television presenter Magnus Magnusson, long-time presenter of the BBC's Mastermind.
- 10 January – Scottish Media Group and Belfast-based UTV agree the details of a merger, including a revised share split between the two. UTV will own 54% of the group, while SMG will take the remaining 46%. However, the deal is once again rejected at the end of February.
- 12 April – SMG Group plc announce plans to sell Virgin Radio, to enable the company to focus on its television station, STV.
- 3 May – Television coverage of the 2007 Scottish Parliament election.
- 7 June – The long-running Scottish Six debate over a separate BBC Six O'Clock News bulletin for Scotland is reignited after the Scottish National Party's Pete Wishart writes to the BBC Director General Mark Thompson calling for a Scottish news programme to be introduced.
- 18 July – It is announced that the Scottish Premier League has signed a deal with BBC Scotland for non-exclusive television coverage of the league.
- August – The Scottish Government establishes the Scottish Broadcasting Commission to oversee television production and broadcasting in Scotland.
- 31 August – STV celebrates fifty years on air.
- 20 September – British Prime Minister Gordon Brown opens the BBC Scotland's new Pacific Quay studio complex in Glasgow. At the opening ceremony BBC Director-General Mark Thompson outlines plans to increase BBC Scotland's content output.
- 26 October – Inaugural meeting of the Scottish Broadcasting Commission. Chaired by Blair Jenkins the Commission hopes to take television in Scotland "to a different level".
- 3 December – News opt-outs for Scotland during GMTV are taken over by MacMillan Media following a long-running dispute between GMTV and STV. Previously STV and Grampian had provided local news coverage during GMTV.
- 3 December – GMTV Scotland on STV (2007–present)
- Scotsport (1957–2008)
- Reporting Scotland (1968–1983; 1984–present)
- Scotland Today (1972–2009)
- Sportscene (1975–present)
- Public Account (1976–present)
- The Beechgrove Garden (1978–present)
- North Tonight (1980–2009)
- Taggart (1983–present)
- Only an Excuse? (1993–present)
- River City (2002–present)
- Politics Now (2004–2011)
- VideoGaiden (2005–2008)
- The Adventure Show (2005–present)
- That Was The Team That Was (2006–2008)
Ending this year
- 31 December – Still Game (2002–2007)
- "UTV gains ground in SMG merger negotiations". The Business. 10 January 2007. Retrieved 1 May 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Holmwood, Leigh (12 April 2007). "SMG strategy was 'flawed'". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "SNP re-ignites Scottish Six idea". BBC News. BBC. 7 June 2007. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "Two new major broadcasting deals for the SPL". Scottish Premier League. July 2007. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Commission looks at broadcasting". BBC News. BBC. 8 August 2007. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "Opening ceremony for new BBC HQ". BBC News. BBC. 20 September 2007. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "BBC chief in pledge to Scotland". BBC News. BBC. 20 September 2007. Retrieved 4 May 2012.
- "First meeting for broadcast group". BBC News. BBC. 26 October 2007. Retrieved 4 May 2012.