2007 in Singapore
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- 12 May – Singapore acquires Formula One rights to host a leg of the Formula One 2008 World Championship race series in September or October 2008.
- 28 June – The University of New South Wales Asia campus in Singapore closed.
- 30 June – The National Stadium held its official closing ceremony.
- 1 July – The Goods and Services Tax was raised from 5% to 7%.
- 20 July – SingTel's mio TV was launched commercially.
- 9 August – Singapore celebrates her 42nd (XLII) national day, with her NDP 2007 held at the Marina Bay Floating Stadium.
- 15 October – Singapore Airlines takes delivery of the 1st Airbus A380 superjumbo jet.
- 25 October – Singapore Airlines makes its first commercial flight of the Airbus A380.
- 11 November – MediaCorp officially roll out its MediaCorp TV HD5 television signal.
- 18 to 22 November – Singapore hosted the 13th ASEAN Summit and Third East Asia Summit.
- 19 November – Singapore was shortlisted as a candidate city to host the 2010 Youth Olympics.
- 24 November – A group of 5 national dragonboaters drowns in a dragonboating competition in Cambodia's Tonle Sap river.
- 6 to 15 December – Team Singapore participated in the 2007 Southeast Asian Games in Thailand and won 43 gold, 43 silver and 41 bronze medals.
- 16 December – Singapore Idol Hady Mirza became the 1st Asian Idol.
- 4 February – Singapore won the 2007 ASEAN Football Championship, thereby defending their championship.
- November – The national football team of Singapore manages to get into the third round of the 2010 World Cup qualifiers of the Asian qualifying section.
- 28 December – Tennis queen Maria Sharapova arrives in Singapore for an exhibition match.
- 24 June – Thaddeus Cheong Wing Kit, a triathlete, dies after completing a triathlon, which was part of the SEA Games selection trial. He was 17.
- 9 November – Sim Kee Boon, a former civil service head once credited for turning Singapore Changi Airport into a 'world-class airport', and who played a key role in the success of the airport