2007 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The year 2007 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- 10 June – 21 November – 52nd Venice Biennale.
- 18 October – In New York City, the Salander-O'Reilly Galleries is forced into closure on the evening of the opening of a major Caravaggio exhibition, amidst scandal and lawsuits.
- 22 October – In Amersfoort (Netherlands) a fire at the Armando museum destroys 63 paintings from the permanent and loan collections.
- 2 November – Nightwatching, Peter Greenaway's film about Rembrandt, is released. It is the first film in Greenaway's series "Dutch Masters".
- 14 November – Sotheby's sells La Fuensanta by Julio Romero de Torres to a private collector.
- 20 December – The Pablo Picasso painting Portrait of Suzanne Bloch, together with Candido Portinari's O Lavrador de Café, is stolen from the São Paulo Museum of Art.
- 14 June-16 September - National Portrait Gallery, "BP Portrait Award 2007"
- September-December - Garden in Transit, a public art exhibit, is displayed on New York City taxis between September 2007 and December 2007
- Archibald Prize – John Beard, Portrait of Janet Laurence
- Arts & Cultural Council for Greater Rochester Artist of the Year – Manuel Rivera-Ortiz
- Caldecott Medal – David Wiesner, Flotsam
- Turner Prize – Mark Wallinger, State Britain
- Venice Biennale – (June 10 - November 21)
- Wynne prize – Philip Wolfhagen, Winter Nocturne IV
- David Hockney – Bigger Trees Near Warter
- Ian Rank-Broadley – The Stretcher Bearers and The Gates bronzes at Armed Forces Memorial, Staffordshire, England
- Neo Rauch – Waiting for the Barbarians
- Doris Salcedo – Shibboleth (installation at Tate Modern, London)
- Luke Sullivan – The Fourth Secret of Fatima (sculpture)
January to March
- 8 January – Iwao Takamoto, Japanese American animator, television producer, and film director (b.1925).
- 20 January – Dan Christensen, American abstract painter (b.1942).
- 4 February – Jules Olitski, American abstract painter, printmaker, and sculptor (b.1922).
- 14 February – Emmett Williams, American poet and Fluxus artist (b.1925).
- 22 February
- 2 March – Madi Phala, South African artist (b.1955).
- 6 March – Jean Baudrillard, French cultural theorist, sociologist, philosopher, political commentator, and photographer (b.1929).
- 16 March – Raymond Nasher, American art collector (b.1921).
April to June
- 7 April – Johnny Hart, American cartoonist (b.1931).
- 8 April – Sol LeWitt, American conceptual and minimalist artist (b.1928).
- 10 April – Salvatore Scarpitta, American sculptor (b.1919).
- 15 April – Brant Parker, American cartoonist (b.1920).
- 17 April – Kitty Carlisle Hart, American singer, actress and New York State Council on the Arts member (b.1910).
- 3 May – Warja Honegger-Lavater, Swiss artist and illustrator (b.1913).
- 26 May – James Beck, American art historian (b.1930).
- 28 May – Jörg Immendorff, German painter, sculptor, stage designer and art professor (b.1945; ALS).
- 2 June – Jerry Wilkerson, American painter (b.1943).
- 17 June – Gianfranco Ferré, Italian fashion designer (b.1944).
- 22 June – Bernd Becher, German photographer (b.1931).
- 26 June – Liz Claiborne, Belgian-born American fashion designer and entrepreneur (b.1929).
July to September
- 7 July – John Szarkowski, American photographer, curator, historian and critic (b.1925).
- 17 July – Jeremy Blake, American digital artist and painter (b.1971).
- 22 July – Aleksandr Tatarskiy, Russian animator, artist and film director (b.1950).
- 9 August – Joe O'Donnell, American photographer (b.1922).
- 11 August – Maurice Boitel, French painter (b.1919).
- 12 August
- 17 August – Edward Avedisian, American abstract painter (b.1936).
- 24 September – Lenore Tawney, American fiber artist (b.1907).
- 25 September – André Emmerich, American gallerist.
October to December
- 5 October – Alexandra Boulat, French photographer (b.1962).
- 8 October – Constantine Andreou, Greek painter and sculptor (b.1917).
- 21 October
- 30 October – Norbert Lynton, British art historian and Professor of the History of Art (b.1927).
- 16 November – Paul Brach, American abstract painter, lecturer and educator (b.1924).
- 4 December
- 14 December – Ismail Gulgee, Pakistani painter (b.1926).
- 31 December – Michael Goldberg, American abstract expressionist painter and teacher (b.1924).
- "Armando Museum in Ruins After Fire". Blouin Artinfo. 2007-10-24. Retrieved 2014-01-07.
- Morgan, Nesta. "Nightwatching". film&festivals. United Kingdom: Wallflower Press, Film Culture Ltd. 2 (2): 5. ISSN 1755-5485.
- "Julio Romero de Torres". Sotheby's. Retrieved 16 Aug 2015.
- National Portrait Gallery website. Accessed 26 February 2014
- McIntyre, Stefanie (August 2007). "Bin Laden & Virgin Mary in Art Row". Reuters.
- "Furor over Burqa-clad Virgin Mary, Jesus morphing into Osama bin Laden". USA Today. September 2007.
- Fortescue, Elizabeth; Aston, Heath (August 2007). "Fury on Virgin Mary's Burqa". Herald Sun.
- Miriam Mone obituary in The Irish Times
- Obituary, The Guardian, 13 June 2007