2007 in the Philippines
2007 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 2007.
- President: Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (NPC)
- Vice President: Noli de Castro (Independent)
- Senate President: Manuel Villar
- House Speaker: Jose de Venecia
- Chief Justice: Reynato Puno
- Philippine Congress: 13th Congress of the Philippines (until June 8), 14th Congress of the Philippines (starting July 23)
- July 11 – Fourteen members of the Philippine Marines were found beheaded after an encounter against Islamic rebels in the province of Basilan.
- July 27 – The Department of Agriculture declares an outbreak of hog cholera at the provinces of Pampanga and Bulacan.
- August 28 – Exiled Communist Party of the Philippines founding chairman Jose Maria Sison was arrested at Utrecht, Netherlands.
|Wikinews has related news: Former Philippine President Joseph Estrada found guilty of plunder|
- September 12 – The Sandiganbayan convicted former president Joseph Estrada for plunder and sentenced him to reclusion perpetua while acquitting him and his co-accused on other charges.
|Wikinews has related news: Blasts kills 8, injures 126 at a mall in Manila, The Philippines|
- October 19 – An explosion at Glorietta mall in Makati kills 11 and injures at least a hundred.
- October 26 – Former President Joseph Estrada was pardoned and free from jail after his trial.
- October 29 – Philippines started its barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections.
- November 13 – An explosion at the Philippine House of Representatives building in Quezon City kills four people, including Congressman Wahab Akbar.
- November 29 – The Armed Forces of the Philippines lays siege to The Peninsula Manila after soldiers led by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV stage a mutiny.
- February 4, Golf – Frankie Miñoza wins the 2007 Philippine Open at the Wack Wack Golf and Country Club.
- February 21, Basketball – The International Basketball Federation lifts the national team's suspension as it recognizes the new basketball federation.
- February 24, Basketball – Barangay Ginebra Kings defeated the San Miguel Beermen in the Philippine Cup Finals.
- April 15, Boxing – Manny Pacquiao knocked out Jorge Solis on the eighth round to retain the WBC International Superfeatherweight championship at the Alamodome, San Antonio, Texas.
- July 7, Boxing – In a pair of world championship bouts, Florante Condes beats IBF minimumweight champion Muhammad Rachman in a bout a Jakarta and Nonito Donaire beat the IBF flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan in Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States to become only the two current Filipino world champions.
- July 20, Basketball – The Alaska Aces defeated the Talk N Text Phone Pals to win their 12th Philippine Basketball Association championship in the 2007 PBA Fiesta Conference.
- August 11, Boxing – Gerry Peñalosa knocked out Jhonny González of Mexico to win the WBO Bantamweight Championship at the ARCO Arena, Sacramento, California.
- August 18, Baseball – Players from Makati City were beaten by players from Pearl City, Hawaii to lose in the Junior League World Series at Taylor, Michigan.
- September 29, Collegiate Basketball – The De La Salle Junior Archers and the Ateneo Lady Eagles won their respective divisional championships against the Ateneo Blue Eaglets and the UP Lady Maroons.
- October 6, Boxing – Manny Pacquiao defeats Mexican Marco Antonio Barrera via unanimous decision at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino, Las Vegas to retain the WBC international super featherweight title.
- October 7, Collegiate Basketball – Basketball team De La Salle Green Archers swept the UE Red Warriors 2-0 in their final series to win their seventh men's title in the UAAP.
Entertainment and culture
- March 3 – Anna Theresa Licaros is crowned as Binibining Pilipinas-Universe at the pageant held at the Araneta Coliseum.
- November 11 – Miss Earth 2007 beauty pageant was hosted by the Philippines at the University of the Philippines Theater in Quezon City. Miss Canada won the pageant.
The celebration of the holidays may be moved due to President Arroyos "holiday economics" policy.
Holidays in italics are "special days", while those in regular type are "regular holidays".
- January 1 – New Years Day
- April 5 – Maundy Thursday
- April 6 – Good Friday
- April 7 – Black Saturday
- April 9 – Araw ng Kagitingan (Day of Valor)
- May 1 – Labor Day
- May 14 – Election Day
- June 12 – Independence Day
- Due to the "holiday economics" policy, the working holiday was on Monday, June 11. Festivities and rites were still held on June 12.
- August 26 – National Heroes Day
- October 13 – Eid ul-Fitr
- November 1 – All Saints Day
- November 30 – Bonifacio Day
- December 25 – Christmas
- December 30 – Rizal Day
- December 31 – New Years Eve
In addition, several other places observe local holidays, such as the foundation of their town. These are also "special days".
- February 12 – Esang de Torres, singer
- February 27 – Lance Lucido, actor
- April 19 – Bimby Aquino Yap, actor
- August 1 – Marco Masa, child actor
- January 13 – Gido Babilonia, basketball player (b. 1966)
- January 15 – Pura Santillan-Castrence, writer and diplomat (b. 1905)
- January 16 – Jainal Antel Sali, Jr., Abu Sayyaf leader (b. 1964)
- January 16 – Lee Aguinaldo, abstract painter (b. 1933)
- January 24 – Jose R. Velasco, physiologist and National Scientist (born 1916)
- February 18 – Vicente Ericta, retired Supreme Court Associate Justice (b. 1915)
- February 19 – Antonio Serapio, Congressman from Valenzuela City (b. 1937)
- March 16 – Joey Gosiengfiao, film director (b. 1941)
- March 17 – Antonio M. Martinez, retired Supreme Court Associate Justice (b. 1929)
- March 24 – Jun Bernardino, former Philippine Basketball Association commissioner (b. 1947)
- April 3 – Gloria T. Aragon, first woman director of PGH (b. 1918)
- April 7 – Ogie Juliano, theater director (b. 1961)
- April 13
- April 28 – Julian Resuello, former San Carlos, Pangasinan mayor (b. 1952)
- May 17 – Cesar "Kuya Cesar" Nucum, radio broadcaster (b. 1938)
- May 18 – Yoyoy Villame, singer and comedian (b. 1938)
- June 2 – Paulo Campos, physician and National Scientist (b. 1921)
- June 16 – Leonardo Perez, former Senator and COMELEC Chairman (b.1925)
- July 13 – Fredegusto "F.G." David, psychologist (b. 1938)
- July 17 – Geronimo Velasco, Minister of Energy during Marcos administration (b. 1927)
- July 21 – Jesus Sison, Press Secretary during Ramos administration (b. 1931)
- August 9 – Pete Roa, television host (b. 1940)
- August 27 – Ramon Zamora, actor (b. 1935)
- August 29 – Nenita Cortes-Daluz, radio journalist and politician (b. 1939)
- September 29 – Alex Catedrilla, singer (Ikakasal ka na) (b. 1956)
- October 24 – Mita Pardo de Tavera, former DSWD Secretary during Aquino administration (b. 1920)
- November 8 – Dulce Quintans-Saguisag, former DSWD Secretary during Estrada administration and wife of ex-Senator Rene Saguisag (b. 1943)
- November 13 – Wahab Akbar, Congressman from Basilan (b. 1960)
- November 15 – Emoy Gorgonia, former TV host Tukaan (b. 1962)
- November 16 – Ross Rival a.k.a. Rosauro Salvador, action film actor and father of actress Maja Salvador (b. 1945)
- November 18 – Sedfrey Ordoñez, former Secretary of Justice during Aquino administration (b. 1921)
- December 5 – Rene Villanueva, creator and head writer of Batibot (b. 1954)
- December 15 – Ace Vergel, film actor (b. 1952)
- December 16 – Ernest Santiago, fashion designer (b. 1939)
- December 22 – Adrian Cristobal, writer and columnist (b. 1932)