2008 Championship Gaming Series season
In 2008, the Championship Gaming Series began its second season as a worldwide sports league for professional video gamers. A total of 18 teams representing cities in seven countries played in the league. The games supported included Counter-Strike: Source, Dead or Alive 4, FIFA 08, and Forza Motorsport 2.
Once again, the CGS was broadcast throughout the world on DirecTV in the United States and Latin America, British Sky Broadcasting in the United Kingdom and Europe, and STAR TV in Asia. The World Final was to be shown live on DirecTV and rebroadcast on G4.
- 1 Regional results
- 2 Wild Card playoffs
- 3 World Final
- 4 Individual finals
- 5 World of Warcraft
- 6 References
- 7 External links
North America (Region 1)
The season in North America began on June 2, with the first televised game on DirecTV airing on June 16. The top four teams advanced to the playoffs: Carolina Core, Dallas Venom, New York 3D, and San Francisco Optx. The Chicago Chimera, winners of both World and North America titles in 2007, did not qualify for the '08 playoffs. The Los Angeles Complexity were also eliminated.
Semifinal results (July 2):
- Carolina Core 26, New York 3D 13
- Dallas Venom 24, San Francisco Optx 22
Final result (July 7):
- Carolina Core 21, Dallas Venom 20
Both Dallas and Carolina qualified automatically for the World Final.
Latin America (Region 2)
United Kingdom/Europe (Regions 3 and 4)
The Birmingham Salvo beat the Berlin Allianz, 24-22, on June 28 for the championship trophy. However, both teams earned spots into the World Final.
Pan-Asia (Regions 5 and 6)
Wild Card playoffs
The remaining spot in the eight-team World Final (reduced from 12 in 2007) was decided in a three-team playoff among the Optx, the 3D, and the London Mint. The Optx defeated the 3D, 23-17, and then the Mint 25-21. Both games were played on July 3.
- Berlin Allianz 26, Sydney Underground 14
- San Francisco Optx 23, Dallas Venom 19
- Birmingham Salvo 22, Mexico City Furia 19
- Carolina Core 29, Wuhan Dragon 12
(both July 21)
- San Francisco Optx 27, Berlin Allianz 14
- Birmingham Salvo 21, Carolina Core 20
NOTES: The Salvo won the second semifinal in overtime when Messy defeated Offbeat Ninja in DOA 4 Male. This match was held on July 21, but not shown on DirecTV until July 23.
- Birmingham Salvo 22, San Francisco Optx 15
NOTE: The match was halted after four of nine rounds of the second half of CounterStrike: Source, as the Salvo had clinched the championship at that point. The most valuable players were Daveyskills and Picaso, the Forza Motorsports drivers for the Salvo.
In addition to the team competition, the top players at each game competed for cash prizes. All events were held on July 12. The list of winners follows:
- Dead or Alive 4 (female competitors): Vanessa "Vanessa" Arteaga, San Francisco Optx
- FIFA 08: Yfran "Eafra" Garcia, Chicago Chimera
- Counter-Strike: Source: Dallas Venom team
- DOA 4 (male competitors): Emanuel "Master" Rodriguez, Dallas Venom
- Forza Motorsport 2: "FinPro" and "YggdrasiL," Berlin Allianz
World of Warcraft
- End credits on DirecTV broadcast, July 28, 2008
- Sara Cameron (2008-07-19). "Nihilum Arena Wins World of Warcraft Arena Tournament". thecgs.com. Retrieved 2008-07-30.