2008 FA Community Shield
Match programme cover
|Event||FA Community Shield|
|Manchester United won 3–1 on penalties|
|Date||10 August 2008|
|Venue||Wembley Stadium, London|
20 °C (68 °F)
The 2008 FA Community Shield (also known as The FA Community Shield sponsored by McDonald's for sponsorship reasons) was the 86th staging of the FA Community Shield, an annual football match played between the reigning Premier League champions and FA Cup winners. The match was played on 10 August 2008 between 2007–08 Premier League champions Manchester United and 2007–08 FA Cup winners Portsmouth as the "curtain-raiser" to the 2008–09 English football season. The match marked the 100th year since the first Charity Shield, also won by Manchester United after a replay in August 1908.
The match was the second meeting between the two teams in the space of two weeks, after they had played each other in a friendly in Nigeria on 27 July 2008. It was also the first Community Shield since 1996 to feature a team from outside the big four of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. With this Community Shield title, United extended their record number of wins in the competition to 13 (17 including shared titles).
Man of the match
- "The FA Community Shield sponsored by McDonald's". TheFA.com. The Football Association. 27 February 2009. Archived from the original on 26 March 2006. Retrieved 6 March 2009.
- "Man Utd 0-0 Portsmouth (Man Utd win 3-1 on penalties)". BBC Sport. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Manchester United retain Community Shield beating Portsmouth on penalties". Daily Telegraph. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Shield referee confirmed". TheFA.com. The Football Association. 23 June 2008. Archived from the original on 26 June 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2008.
- "Ref Clattenburg hit by suspension". BBC Sport. British Broadcasting Corporation. 7 August 2008. Retrieved 7 August 2008.