2008 FIFA World Player of the Year
The 2008 FIFA World Player of the Year awards took place on 12 January 2009 at the Zurich Opera House, Zürich, Switzerland, with Cristiano Ronaldo of Manchester United and Portugal taking the men's award, and Marta of Umeå IK and Brazil taking the women's award for the third year in a row.
Other awards included the FIFA Development Award, which went to the Palestinian Football Federation for keeping its organisation and national team active; Federation President Jibril Al Rajoub, captain of the men's team Ahmad Kashkash, and women's team captain Honey Thaljiyeh were presented with the award. The Palestinian FA carried out a major refurbishment of the Al-Husseini Stadium, meaning that it met the standards to host an international match, becoming the first stadium in Palestinian territories to achieve this honour. Women's football received the FIFA Presidential Award, with the US team presented with the award (for their achievements), and player Heather O'Reilly collecting it. The FIFA Fair Play Award went to the representatives of the Turkish and Armenian national teams. Prior to a European World Cup qualifying match, the Presidents of the two FAs, Mahmut Özgener (Turkey) and Ruben Hayrapetyan (Armenia) shook hands, which was significant as the countries shared a long history of hostility towards each other.
Shortlists of 23 men and 10 women were announced on 29 October 2008, before being reduced to five men and five women by 12 December 2008. The male nominees were Kaká, Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Fernando Torres and Xavi, and the female nominees were Nadine Angerer, Cristiane, Marta, Birgit Prinz and Kelly Smith.
|1||Cristiano Ronaldo||935||Manchester United|
|8||Iker Casillas||49||Real Madrid|
|11||Andrey Arshavin||36||Zenit Saint Petersburg|
|18||Franck Ribéry||23||Bayern Munich|
|19||Ruud van Nistelrooy||14||Real Madrid|
|20||Sergio Agüero||12||Atlético Madrid|
|4||Nadine Angerer||198|| 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam|
|9||Christine Sinclair||47||Vancouver Whitecaps|
- "FIFA World Player of the Year - Men's votes by player" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 12 January 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 26, 2009. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "FIFA World Player of the Year - Women's votes by player" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 12 January 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 24, 2009. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Ronaldo takes first award, Marta makes it three in a row". FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 12 January 2009. Archived from the original on January 20, 2009. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Shortlists for FIFA awards revealed". FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 29 October 2008. Archived from the original on December 21, 2008. Retrieved 16 December 2008.
- "Gala nominees revealed". FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 12 December 2008. Archived from the original on December 13, 2008. Retrieved 16 December 2008.