2008 Northern Ireland Trophy
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Dates||24–31 August 2008|
|Total prize fund||£200,500|
- Notable comebacks in the qualifiers included: Li Hang coming from 0–4 down to beat Irish prodigy David Morris 5–4, and both Jimmy White and Ian Preece came from 2–4 behind to win their matches 5–4, against Jamie Jones and Paul Davies respectively.
- Jimmy White qualified for the final stage of an event for the first time in over a year, stretching back to the 2007 China Open.
- Long standing top-16 players, Mark Williams, Ken Doherty and Stephen Lee were playing in the qualifiers for the first time in over a decade.
- Last year's runner-up, Fergal O'Brien fell at the first hurdle, losing 3–5 to Michael Holt.
- In his match against Mark Selby, Andrew Higginson was playing in front of the TV cameras for the first time since his run to the final of the 2007 Welsh Open.
- Dominic Dale came from 1–4 down against Mark Allen to level at 4–4, before Allen played superbly to take the decider.
- In beating Ding Junhui 5–4, Mark Davis secured one of the best wins of his career.
- Ronnie O'Sullivan won three quick consecutive frames to oust former world champion Ken Doherty 5–4 in the last 32.
- Stephen Maguire won the last three frames to beat Alan McManus 5–4, a player who hadn't reached the last 16 of an event the previous season.
- Dave Harold beat Stephen Lee 5–4, a player who had been considered one of the tournaments in-form players, having knocked in three centuries, including a high break of 145.
- Harold increased his head-to-head record to 3–0 over Stephen Maguire by beating him 5–2 in the quarter-finals, afterwards Maguire stated that he never seems to perform against Harold.
- Barry Hawkins produced a brave fightback to recover from 1–4 to level at 4–4 against Ronnie O'Sullivan in their quarter-final match, before the world champion took the decider.
- Dave Harold led John Higgins 5–1, but won only 6–4, to reach his first ranking final since 1994, the gap between those two ranking finals is the longest in snooker history.
The breakdown of prize money for this year is shown below:
|Final: Best of 17 frames. Referee: Eirian Williams.|
Waterfront Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 31 August 2008.
|3 – 9||Ronnie O'Sullivan|
|Afternoon 63–14 44–68 (68) 17–127 (103) 0–84 (84) 44–87 13–84 60–76 (76) |
Evening 76–41 19–73 (64) 54–61 88–0 (81) 22–80 (50)
Qualifying stage centuries
Televised stage centuries
- "Classy O'Sullivan wins NI Trophy". BBC Sport. 31 August 2008. Archived from the original on 11 March 2009. Retrieved 20 April 2009.
- "Northern Ireland Trophy 2008 – Prize Money". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 12 February 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Northern Ireland Trophy 2008 – Results". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 12 February 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Northern Ireland Trophy 2008 – Qualifying Results". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 12 February 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2011.