2008 Shiraz explosion
|2008 Shiraz Explosion|
|Date||April 12, 2008
|Perpetrators||Anjoman-e Padeshahi-e Iran|
The 2008 Shiraz bombing was an April 12, 2008 explosion that occurred during prayers at the Hosseynieh Seyed al-Shohada Mosque in the southern Iranian city of Shiraz. Fourteen people were killed and 202 were injured. Around 800 people, which were mostly youth, were gathered at the Mosque to hear sermons which usually include sermons attacking the Wahabi denomination of Sunni Islam and the Bahá'í Faith.
The deputy governor of the province, Mohammad Reza Hadaegh, told IRIB an investigation was under way. Iranian officials first stated that the blast was not a terrorist attack, but caused by leftover munitions that were on display in the mosque as part of an exhibition commemorating Iran's 1980–1988 war against Iraq. However, in May, Interior Minister Mostafa Pour-Mohammadi said the blast was an act of terrorism and 12 terrorists had been arrested before attacking the Russian Consulate and religious centers in Qom. Intelligence Minister Gholam Hossein Mohseni-Ejehei accused United States and Britain of involvement in the bombing and attempted to press charges against the two countries.
In November 2008, Iran sentenced three men to death after they were convicted of the bombing. One of these men, Mehdi Eslamian, was hanged with four others on May 9, 2010. His brother had previously been hanged for the bombing.
|Mohammad Javad Yaghout||30|
|Mohammad Javad Alavi||?|
- Nasseri, Ladane (2008-04-13). "Iran Mosque Explosion Kills 14, Injures 202 in City of Shiraz". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- Bozorgmehr, Shirzad (2008-04-14). "Report: Deadly blast in Iran caused by munitions". CNN. Archived from the original on 20 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- Hosseinian, Zahra; Jaseb, Hossein (2008-04-12). "Bomb blast in south Iran mosque kills 9, wounds 105". Reuters. Archived from the original on 13 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- Fars News Agency (2008-04-16). "Shiraz Blast not a Bomb Attack". Fars News Agency. Archived from the original on 2008-06-24. Retrieved 2008-04-12.
- "Shiraz mosque blast was act of sabotage: Minister". IRNA. 2008-05-08. Archived from the original on 9 May 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- Erdbrink, Thomas (2008-05-09). "Iran Accuses U.S., Britain In Fatal Blast". Washington Post. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- "Detainees Confess!". 2008-05-26. Archived from the original on 2008-05-28. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- "Terrorist attack at Russian Consulate in Iran foiled". RT. 2008-05-14. Archived from the original on 2013-04-17. Retrieved 2008-05-26.
- http://www.jamestown.org/terrorism/news/article.php?articleid=2374183[permanent dead link]
- "Iran sentences mosque bombers to death". GEO TV. 2008-11-29. Archived from the original on 2011-05-25. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- Iran executes five political prisoners
- "اسامي کشتهشدگان حادثه انفجار در شيراز". www.farsnews.com. Retrieved 2008-04-13.
- "Son enterradas las víctimas de la explosión de la mezquita Seyyed Al Shohada de Shiraz". IRNA. Archived from the original on 2012-02-10. Retrieved 2008-04-20.