2008 in Japan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 2008
List of years in Japan
Events in the year 2008 in Japan.
- Emperor: Akihito
- Prime Minister: Yasuo Fukuda (Liberal Democratic Party–Gunma) to September 24 Taro Aso (L–Fukuoka)
- Chief Cabinet Secretary: Nobutaka Machimura (L–Hokkaidō) to September 24 Takeo Kawamura (L–Yamaguchi)
- Chief Justice of the Supreme Court: Nirō Shimada to November 21 Hironobu Takesaki from November 25
- President of the House of Representatives: Yōhei Kōno (L–Kanagawa)
- President of the House of Councillors: Satsuki Eda (D–Okayama)
- Diet sessions: 168th (extraordinary session continued from 2007, to January 15), 169th (regular, January 18 to June 21), 170th (extraordinary, September 24 to December 25)
- January 31 – Nine people are hospitalized after eating gyōza made at the Tianyang Food Plant in China.
- February 11 – Okinawa police arrest United States Marine Tyrone Hadnott and charge him with raping a middle-school girl.
- February 19
- February 22
- February 25 – The Supreme Court upheld life sentence of Daisuke Mori.
- June 8 – The Akihabara massacre takes place in Tokyo. A man kills seven in an attack on a crowd using a truck and a dagger.
- June 14 – the 2008 Iwate earthquake strikes northern Honshū, leaving two dead and hundreds injured.
- June 17 – Serial killer Tsutomu Miyazaki is executed by hanging.
- July 7 – July 9 – G8 summit hosted by Japan.
- September 6 – Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda announces his resignation.
- September 24 – The Diet elects Taro Aso Prime Minister.
- October – Toyota launches yet another Avensis at the 2008 Paris Motor Show to be built in Britain.
- October 1 – Arson claims 15 lives in a pre-dawn fire at an adult-video shop in Osaka.
- October 10 (U.S. Pacific Daylight Time) – Kazuyoshi Miura commits suicide in Los Angeles while under arrest on suspicion of involvement in the murder of his wife.
- October 17 – Japan won their tenth nonpermanent seat for 2009 and 2010 sessions on the United Nations Security Council, defeating Iran by 158 votes to 32 in elections in the General Assembly
- January 17: Jinzō Toriumi, screenwriter
- February 13: Kon Ichikawa, film director
- February 29: Kenji Yanagiya, fighter ace of the Imperial Japanese Army
- March 3: Taichirō Hirokawa, voice actor and narrator
- March 11: Akemi Negishi, actress
- April 2: Momoko Ishii, author
- June 6: Saeko Himuro, novelist, essayist, and playwright
- June 9: Kan Mukai, film director, cinematographer, producer and screenwriter
- June 17: Tsutomu Miyazaki, serial killer
- June 18: Miyuki Kanbe, model and actress
- June 27: Daihachi Oguchi, drummer
- August 2: Fujio Akatsuka, manga artist
- August 4: Eri Kawai, singer
- August 11: Arase Nagahide, sumo wrestler
- August 14: Seiji Aochi, ski jumper
- August 16: Masanobu Fukuoka, microbiologist
- October 10: Kazuyoshi Miura, businessman
- October 27: Frank Nagai, singer
- November 7: Hidetaka Nishiyama, master of Shotokan karate
- November 10: Kiyoshi Itō, mathematician
- December 5: Shūichi Katō, critic
- December 16: Ai Iijima, media personality and AV idol
- Undated: Yoshinao Kodaira, officer and fighter ace
- Yoshida, Reiji (2008-01-31). "10 sick after eating tainted 'gyoza' from China". The Japan Times. Retrieved 2008-02-14.
- Shimizu, Kaho (2008-02-13). "Okinawa rape case sparks resentment". The Japan Times. Archived from the original on 13 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "Nishikori defeats Blake, captures first ATP title". The Japan Times. 2008-02-20. Retrieved 2008-02-19.
- "JCG hints destroyer was at fault in collision". 2008-02-20. Retrieved 2008-02-27.
- "MSDF refueling mission resumed". The Japan Times. 2008-02-22. Retrieved 2008-02-22.
- "Arrest warrant says Japanese businessman orchestrated wife's killing in Los Angeles". International Herald Tribune. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- "Top court dismisses nurse's protest over life sentence for murdering patient". HDR Japan. 2008-03-12. Retrieved 2008-03-21.
- McCurry, Justin (2008-06-10). "Japan: Killer of seven gave online warning of Tokyo rampage". London: The Guardian. Archived from the original on 13 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-17.
- Strong earthquake rattles Japan. Retrieved June 14, 2008.
- Japan hangs serial killer of young girls and 2 others. Retrieved June 17, 2008.
- Fire kills 15 in Japanese video shop – CNN.com
- NHKニュース ロス疑惑 三浦元社長が自殺. Retrieved October 11, 2008.
- 3 Nations Win Security Council Seats – New York Times