2008 in the European Union
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in the European Union:||2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011|
|Centuries:||20th century · 21st century · 22nd century|
|Decades:||1970s 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010s 2020s 2030s|
|Years:||2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011|
Events in the year 2008 in the European Union.
2008 was designated as:
- Commission President: José Manuel Barroso, People's Party
- Council Presidency: Slovenia (January – June) France (July - December)
- Parliament President: Hans-Gert Pöttering, People's Party
- High Representative: Javier Solana, Socialists
- 1 January - Cyprus and Malta join the eurozone.
- 1 January - Akrotiri and Dhekelia adopt the euro.
- 1 January - Slovenia starts the presidency of European Union as the first of new member states.
- 29 March - Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia implement the Schengen Agreement for airports.
- 1 July - France takes over the Presidency from Slovenia.
- Cyprus and Malta set to join eurozone in 2008, EurActiv
- Akrotiri and Dhekelia adopt the euro Archived February 29, 2008, at the Wayback Machine., EUbusiness
- Slovenian EU presidency Archived May 16, 2007, at Archive.is
- ""Europe's border-free zone expands", BBC News". 2007-12-21. Archived from the original on 21 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-12-21.