2009–10 PBA season
|2009-10 PBA season|
2009-10 PBA season
|Duration||October 11, 2009 - August 18, 2010|
|Number of teams||10|
|TV partner(s)||Solar TV
DZRJ 810 (Local)
|Top draft pick||Japeth Aguilar|
|Picked by||Burger King Whoppers|
|Philippine Cup champions||Purefoods TJ Giants|
|Fiesta Conference champions||Alaska Aces|
|Runners-up||San Miguel Beermen|
|Season MVP||James Yap (Derby Ace)|
|Top scorer||Gary David (Coca-Cola)|
The 2009–10 PBA Season was the 35th season of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA). The season formally opened on October 11, 2009 and ended on August 18, 2010. The league started the season with the Philippine Cup, or the traditional All-Filipino Conference, while finishing the season with the import-laiden Fiesta Conference.
The 2009 PBA Draft was held on August 2, 2009 at the Market! Market!, and Japeth Aguilar was selected first overall by the Air21 Express. The Puerto Princesa City Government hosted the 2010 PBA All-Star Weekend at the Puerto Princesa Coliseum in Palawan on April 25, 2010.
- 1 Pre-season events
- 2 Opening ceremonies
- 3 2009–10 Philippine Cup
- 4 Mid-season break events
- 5 2010 Fiesta Conference
- 6 2010 PBA All-Star Weekend
- 7 Individual awards
- 8 Awards given by the PBA Press Corps
- 9 Cumulative standings
- 10 References
- 11 External links
- Burger King traded Arwind Santos to San Miguel for Marc Pingris and Ken Bono. Both players were later traded to Purefoods in exchange for the team's 2010 1st and 2nd round picks.
- Barangay Ginebra traded Paul Artadi, Rafi Reavis, and the rights to 2009 draftee Chris Timberlake for Enrico Villanueva, Rich Alvarez, Celino Cruz, and Paolo Bugia of Purefoods.
- Burger King traded Pocholo Villanueva to Ginebra for rights to rookie Orlando Daroya and future picks.
- Sta. Lucia traded Dennis Miranda to San Miguel for future draft picks.
- Sta. Lucia traded Dennis Espino to Coca Cola for two future draft picks and Jason Misolas.
|Rule changes (effective for the 2009–10 PBA season)|
|# The three-point line's distance is set back to 22 feet. The line was previously 20.6 feet away from the basket.
- The third set of inductees for the PBA Hall of Fame were awarded on October 9 at the Shangri-la Hotel in Makati.
- The pre-season was started on September 25 but was cut short due to the onslaught of Typhoon Ondoy in Metro Manila.
The muses for the participating teams are as follows:
2009–10 Philippine Cup
- After playing with just one game with the Burger King Whoppers, top rookie pick Japeth Aguilar was traded to Talk 'N Text after a three way trade involving Barako Bull. Burger Kings was able to get Barako Bull’s 2010 (previously acquired by Talk ‘N Text) and 2012 first-round picks and will also take Talk ‘N Text’s 2013 and 2014 first-round picks. Barako Bull will now have the rights on Orlando Daroya while Talk ‘N Text will get Aguilar, who will be loaned to Smart Gilas.
- Wynne Arboleda of the Burger King Whoppers was suspended without pay for the rest of the season plus one game after a violent altercation with a fan during their game against Smart Gilas last October 16. He also drew a PhP20,000 fine. While serving his suspension, Arboleda cannot be present at the playing venues during Burger King’s games.
- On October 29, 2009. The PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios announced that the games played by the Smart Gilas National Team will have no effects on the standings of the other teams of the PBA. This decision was made by the commissioner because of the intensity of the games played against Smart Gilas that resulted in the suspension of and the possibility of criminal charges against Wynne Arboleda as a result of him attacking a fan at courtside in Araneta Coliseum when the Burger King Whoppers played the Smart Gilas National Team.
- Talk 'N Text walked out of the playing court during their quarterfinal game with Barangay Ginebra leading 27–20 with a minute left in the first quarter after Ranidel de Ocampo was called for a flagrant foul against Ronald Tubid. Besides forfeiting Game 4 to their opponent, Commissioner Sonny Barrios penalized the telecommunication franchise of fines ranging over P1 million. The P500,000 for the forfeiture (the said amount going to Barangay Ginebra as indicated to the league's by-laws), an additional P500,000 fine, which will go directly to the league's Players’ Educational Trust Fund, and the team's share in the gate receipts and TV revenues for that particular game, which ranges anywhere between P200,000 to P250,000.
|Qualified for semifinals|
|Qualified for quarterfinals|
|Qualified for wildcards|
|2||San Miguel Beermen||13||5||.722||--||−17|
|3||Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants||12||6||.647||1||0; +85|
|4||Barangay Ginebra Kings||12||6||.667||1||0; +75|
|5||Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||11||7||.611||2|
|6||Sta. Lucia Realtors||10||8||.556||3|
|8||Burger King Whoppers||6||12||.333||7||−10|
|9||Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||4||14||.222||9|
|10||Barako Bull Energy Boosters||3||15||.167||10|
†Games involving Smart Gilas are not included in the team standings.
- Alaska defeated San Miguel in both of their elimination round games.
- Purefoods and Barangay Ginebra split their elimination round games, and both won by eight points against each other. Purefoods won by having a better overall point differential.
- Coca-Cola and Burger King split their elimination round games, Coca-Cola won by having a better point differential in games between the two teams.
Best of 5 series
Best of 7 series
|Philippine Cup Finals
Best of 7 series
|9||Rain or Shine||2|
|9||Rain or Shine||90||2||San Miguel||2|
|9||Rain or Shine||99||3||Purefoods||4|
|8||Burger King||112||4||Brgy. Ginebra||0||Third-place playoff|
|4||Brgy. Ginebra||3||2||San Miguel||95|
|5||Talk 'N Text||2||4||Brgy. Ginebra||88|
- Philippine Cup Finals: (3) Purefoods (12-6) def. (1) Alaska (13-5), 4 games to 0.
- Third place: San Miguel (def. Brgy. Ginebra 95-88 in a one-game playoff)
- Best Player of the Conference: James Yap (Purefoods)
Mid-season break events
- Air21 traded JR Quiñahan, Mark Yee and Aaron Aban to Talk 'N Text for Yancy de Ocampo and Renren Ritualo.
- Air21 traded Yancy de Ocampo and their second round pick for the 2010 PBA Draft to Barangay Ginebra for Rich Alvarez and Doug Kramer.
- Air21 traded Alex Cabagnot to San Miguel for Mike Cortez.
- Sta. Lucia Realtors traded Joseph Yeo to San Miguel for Bonbon Custodio.
- The Burger King Whoppers returned to their previous identity as the Air21 Express.
- San Miguel Corporation changed the name of the Purefoods TJ Giants to the Derby Ace Llamados.
- The Barako Bull Energy Boosters changed their moniker to the Barako Energy Coffee Masters.
- The board of governors approved stiffer penalties for teams that would walk out of a game and rookie draftees who would turn their back on the league.
2010 Fiesta Conference
- Wynne Arboleda returned as an active player of the Air21 Express after he was reinstated by the Office of the Commissioner after serving eight months of suspension.
– clinched outright semifinals, – clinched outright quarterfinals, – clinched wild card, – eliminated
|1||y-Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||15||3||.833||--|
|2||y-San Miguel Beermen||13||5||.722||2|
|3||x-Derby Ace Llamados||13||5||.722||2|
|5||x-Barangay Ginebra Kings||9||9||.500||6|
|6||w-Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||9||9||.500||6|
|8||w-Sta. Lucia Realtors||5||13||.278||10|
|10||Barako Energy Coffee Masters||3||15||.167||10|
NA* = teams tied for 2nd and 3rd, 5th and 6th, and 8th and 9th would have to play an extra game regardless of the results of their classification round games. For all other ties, they are broken via point differential from the games among the tied teams. If they are still tied, point differential from all games will be considered.
Best of 5 series
Best of 7 series
|Fiesta Cup Finals
Best of 7 series
|6||Rain or Shine||2|
|6||Rain or Shine||92||3||Derby Ace||2|
|6||Rain or Shine||98||2||San Miguel||2|
|7||Coca-Cola||100||1||Talk 'N Text||3|
|8||Sta. Lucia||84||4||Alaska||4||Third-place playoff|
|5||Brgy. Ginebra||2||1||Talk 'N Text||113|
- Fiesta Conference Finals: (4) Alaska Aces (11-7) def. (2) San Miguel (13-5), 4 games to 2.
- Third place: Talk 'N Text (def. Derby Ace 113-95 in a one-game playoff)
- Best Player of the Conference: Jay Washington (San Miguel)
- Best Import of the Conference: Gabe Freeman (San Miguel)
2010 PBA All-Star Weekend
- Obstacle Challenge: Jonas Villanueva (San Miguel Beermen)
- Three-point Shootout: Mark Macapagal (Coca-Cola Tigers)
- Slam Dunk Competition: Niño Canaleta (Derby Ace Llamados)
Rookie-Sophomore Blitz Game
|Rookies 86, Sophomores 106|
|Scoring by quarter: 17-20, 31-20, 10-30, 29-36|
|Pts: Buenafe 25, Lanete 17, Cruz 14, Devance 14, Bono 10, Aljamal 8, Kramer 7, Eman 6.||Pts: Menor 19, Cruz 18, Urbiztondo 17, Ross 11, Marias 9, Timberlake 7, Arellano 6, Burtscher 0.|
|Jared Dillinger named the game's most valuable player.|
|North All-Stars 133, South All-Stars 130|
|Scoring by quarter: 38-39, 38-30, 28-32, 29-29|
|Pts: Mark Cardona 20||Pts: Kelly Williams 17|
|Gabe Norwood named the All-Star Game MVP.|
- Most Valuable Player: James Yap Derby Ace
- Rookie of the Year: Rico Maierhofer (Derby Ace)
- First Mythical Team:
- Second Mythical Team:
- All-Defensive Team:
- Most Improved Player: LA Tenorio (Alaska)
- Sportsmanship Award: Cyrus Baguio (Alaska)
Awards given by the PBA Press Corps
- Coach of the Year: Ryan Gregorio (B-Meg Derby Ace)
- Mr. Quality Minutes: KG Canaleta (B-Meg Derby Ace)
- Comeback Player of the Year: Kelly Williams (Talk 'N Text)
- Executive of the Year: Wilfred Uytengsu (Alaska)
- Referee of the Year: Manolito Quilingen
- All-Rookie Team
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||49||32||17||.653||Third place|
|San Miguel Beermen||56||36||20||.643||Runners-up|
|Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants/Derby Ace Llamados||64||41||23||.641||Champions|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||52||27||25||.519||Semifinalist|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||51||21||30||.412||Quarterfinalist|
|Coca-Cola Tigers||40||16||24||.400||2nd wildcard round|
|Sta. Lucia Realtors||38||15||23||.395||1st wildcard round|
|Air21 Express/Burger King Whoppers||38||10||28||.263||1st wildcard round|
|Barako Energy Coffee Masters/Barako Bull Energy Boosters||36||7||29||.194||Elimination round|
|San Miguel Beermen||26||10||.722|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||26||10||.722|
|Derby Ace Llamados/Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants||25||11||.694|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||21||15||.583|
|Sta. Lucia Realtors||15||21||.417|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||13||23||.361|
|Air21 Express/Burger King Whoppers||10||26||.278|
|Barako Energy Coffee Masters/Barako Bull Energy Boosters||7||29||.194|
|Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants||16||12||.577|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||8||7||.533|
|San Miguel Beermen||10||10||.500|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||6||7||.462|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||6||10||.375|
|Sta. Lucia Realtors||0||2||.000|
|Air21 Express/Burger King Whoppers||0||2||.000|
|Barako Energy Coffee Masters/Barako Bull Energy Boosters||0||0||NA|
- Arwind to SMB!, Zean Macamay and Gerry Ramos, Journal Online
- Pingris back to Giants as PBA teams continue off-season buildup, GMANews.tv
- Trades continue: Villanueva, Alvarez to Kings; Artadi, Reavis to Giants, GMANews.tv
- Realtors part ways with 'Denok', Noli Cortez, Malaya Online Edition
- Realtors remain competitive, Rey Joble, Manila Standard Today
- Fil-Am Hrabak offered frontline job by Painters, Manila Bulletin
- "Exec: New rules to make PBA games more exciting". GMANEWS.TV. Archived from the original on 22 October 2009. Retrieved September 20, 2009.
- PBA modifies some rules for Season 35, Malaya Online Edition.
- 4 PBA greats, Jun B head Hall of Fame honorees, The Philippine Star.
- Aguilar back with RP Gilas, to play against Whopper Friday, GMANews.tv
- PBA suspends Arboleda for rest of the season, GMANews.tv
- PBA renders Smart Gilas games no bearing, GMANews.tv
- "Talk 'N Text walks out of q'final game vs Ginebra". 2010-02-05. Archived from the original on 8 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- Talk ‘N Text fined over P1M for walkout vs Ginebra, GMANews.tv
- Air21 gets De Ocampo, Ritualo in 5-player deal, GMANews.tv
- Air21 ships Yancy to Ginebra for Alvarez, Kramer, GMANews.tv
- Name dropping: Burger King is Air21 again, GMANews.tv
- PBA sets hefty P10M fine for future walkouts, GMANews.tv
- Arboleda returns, Guiao takes a leave for slumping Express, GMANews.tv
- ALL-STAR POLL AT VENUES, ONLINE, PBA.ph