2009, Year of Us
|2009, Year of Us|
|EP by Shinee|
|Released||October 22, 2009|
|Recorded||August–October 2009 at S.M. Studios, Seoul, South Korea.|
|Producer||Lee Soo Man (executive)|
|Singles from 2009, Year of Us|
2009, Year of Us is the third extended play (EP) by South Korean boy group Shinee. It consists of six tracks and it incorporates alternative rock and hip-hop music genres. The digital version of the album was released on October 19, 2009, with a physical release on October 22. The title track, "Ring Ding Dong" was released on October 14, 2009 through various music sites.
The EP contains six songs, including the title track "Ring Ding Dong", which is described as an afro-electro song and is completed through the beat of African congo drums with the sound of an electro synthesizer, and is the work of Yoo Young-jin. The lyrics of the song describe a situation of unconsciously falling in love with someone, the phrase "ring ding dong", which is repeated numerous time in the song, is a cartoon-like expression for a bell ringing in someone’s head at the very moment of falling in love. In an interview with Big Communications representative Jung Young-jin, it was revealed that because of its catchy hooks and repetitive nature, "Ring Ding Dong" was named the number one banned song before college entrance exams in South Korea. In addition, the album contains various genres such as "JoJo", an eurodance song composed by Kenzie, and the swingbeat song "Shinee Girl". The EP also features Onew's first solo song, "The Name I Loved", a ballad song based on alternative rock featuring veteran singer Kim Yeon-woo. Luna of f(x) also makes an appearance on the hip-hop song, "Get Down" with Key and Minho.
Background and release
2009, Year of Us is Shinee's first release after a five month long absence from the K-pop scene. It is their third EP with their last being, Romeo in May 2009 and is supposed to show a new style for the group as well as the vocal talent of the members. The digital version of the EP was released on October 19, 2009, with a physical release on October 22. Before its release the album recorded 60,000 pre-orders.
The lead single, "Ring Ding Dong", was released digitally on October 14 and charted atop of several Korean music charts and gained popularity all over Asia. It was written by Yoo Young-jin. The group had their debut performance of the song on October 16, on KBS's Music Bank. Misha Gabriel, who previously worked on the group's song "Amigo" in 2008, also choreographed "Ring Ding Dong". The music video was shot in early October on a set in Namyangju, Gyeonggi Province, and was directed by Cho Soo-hyun. "JoJo" was promoted alongside "Ring Ding Dong" as the second promotional track from the album.
Credits adapted from the official homepage.
|1.||"Y.O.U. (Year of Us)"||Young-hu Kim||Alex Cantrall/Don "Traxx Trigga" Sellers Jr.||3:49|
|2.||"Ring Ding Dong"||Yoo Young-jin||Yoo Young-jin||3:52|
|4.||"Get Down" (Key and Minho (feat. Luna from f(x)))||Minho, Key, JQ, Big Tone, Ryan Jhun, Anita Paul, Script Shepherd, Antwann Frost||Solomon Cortes, Script Shepherd, Charley Paige||3:03|
|5.||"Shinee Girl"||Park Joon-ha||Park Joon-ha||3:16|
|6.||"The Name I Loved" (Onew feat. Kim Yeon-woo|
내가 사랑했던 이름; Naega saranghaetdeon ireum)
|Lee Sung-soo||Lee Sung-soo||4:36|
|Japan||Oricon Albums Chart||40|
|South Korea||October 19, 2009||Digital download||S.M. Entertainment|
|October 22, 2009||CD|
|Taiwan||November 13, 2009||CD||Avex Taiwan|
|Japan||January 20, 2010||Rhythm Zone|
- "샤이니, '링딩동' 본격 컴백" [SHINee's comeback with "Ring Dong dong"] (in Korean). Chosen. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- "SBS 전망대] 수능생 금지곡 1위 샤이니의 링딩동…이유는?'" [SHINee's 'Ring Ding Dong' voted #1 banned song for college entrance exam test takers] (in Korean). SBS via Nate. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- "SHINee 온유, 부드러움 벗고 나쁜 남자 변신!" [SHINee member Onew, softness takes off, bad man transformation!] (in Korean). Chosen. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- "SHINee 멤버 Key, 180도 파격 변신!" [SHINee member Key, 180 degree transformation!] (in Korean). Chosen. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Lee Hyeon (October 16, 2009). "샤이니, 오늘(16일) '링딩동' 뮤직뱅크 첫방송-뮤비공개 '관심집중'" [Shinee, first 'Ring Ding Dong' Music Bank first broadcast] (in Korean). Newsen. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Lee Hyun-woo. "샤이니, 19일 새앨범 컴백 "2009년 우리의 해"" [Shinee to release new EP, 2009 Year of Us on October 9, 2009]. Nate (in Korean). Daily Economy Star Today. Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- (in Korean) 샤이니, 19일 세번째 앨범 발표 ("SHINee, Third Mini-album Released on 19th"). Yonhap News. October 8, 2009. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- (in Korean) 샤이니 19일 깜짝 컴백 '파격 변신 선언 기대증폭' (SHINee Returning Surprisingly on 19th, Exceptional Qualities to be Showcased)[permanent dead link]. Joins.com/Newsen. October 31, 2009. Retrieved October 7, 2009.
- "샤이니, 음원문제 빨간불! 음반발매 3일연기 '22일 첫공개'" [Shinee to release new album, delayed for three days]. Newsen (in Korean). Nate. October 19, 2009. Retrieved May 21, 2010.
- "샤이니, 3rd 미니앨범 선주문 6만장, '링딩동' 열풍 예고!" [Shinee, 3rd mini album pre-order 60,000 copies, 'ring ding dong' premiere notice!]. Chosun (in Korean). The Star. October 23, 2009. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- (in Korean) 샤이니, '링딩동' 뮤직비디오 공개 (Shinee, 'ring ding dong' music video to be Released on October, 14). Chosun. October 15, 2009. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "샤이니 '링딩동 열풍', 뮤직비디오 조회수 100만 돌파" [SHINee 'Ring Ding Dong craze', the music video surpassed one million views]. BNT News Korea (in Korean). October 30, 2009. Archived from the original on November 17, 2015. Retrieved February 12, 2011.
- "샤샤이니 'Ring Ding Dong', 온-오프라인 차트 석권!" [Shinee's 'Ring Ding Dong', wins on charts!]. The Star Chosun (in Korean). October 26, 2009. Archived from the original on September 26, 2017. Retrieved February 12, 2011.
- Kim Hyung-woo (November 5, 2008). "샤이니 '아미고' 뮤비 공개 '민호 주인공 열연'" [Shinee to release "Amigo", infos revealed]. JoongAng Daily (in Korean). Retrieved January 19, 2009.
- "Beyonce, Timberlake choreographers created SHINee dance". Asiae. October 19, 2009. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "샤이니, 16일 '링딩동' 뮤직비디오 공개" [SHINee will unveil 'Ring Ding Dong' music video on the 16th] (in Korean). Asiae. October 15, 2009. Archived from the original on September 23, 2017. Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- Choi Jun-yong (January 17, 2010). "'인기가요' 샤이니, '강렬함+부드러움' 아쉬운 고별 무대!" [Shinee last stage for "Ring Dong Dong"]. TV Daily. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Lee Mihye (January 23, 2010). "아듀 샤이니, 100일만에 고별무대…외조부모상 키 아쉬운 불참" [Shinee farewell stage for "Ring Dong Dong" after 100 days]. Newsen. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- "샤이니, 히트곡 '링딩동'으로 본격 일본 활동!" [Shinee, Japanese activity with the hit song 'Ring Ding Dong'!] (in Korean). The Star Chosun. January 4, 2010. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- "２００９，イヤー オブ アス （DVD付） SHINeeのプロファールならオリコン芸能人事典－ORICON STYLE" [Oricon Entertainer Encyclopedia for SHINee - 2009, Year of Us] (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved November 15, 2010.
- "しゃいにー アルバム 2009,イヤー オブ アス" [Shinee album profile on Oricon - 2009, Year of Us] (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Shinee's Official Homepage". SM Entertainment. October 22, 2009. Retrieved February 7, 2010.
- "第三張迷你專輯 我們的2009" [Shinee – 2009, Year of Us (Taiwan)] (in Chinese). G-Music. Retrieved September 22, 2017.