2009 California mid-air collision
|Date||30 October 2009|
USAF Lockheed C-130 Hercules
|Type||Lockheed C-130H Hercules|
|Operator||United States Coast Guard|
|Flight origin||McClellan Airfield|
An AH-1W SuperCobra of the U.S. Marine Corps
|Type||Bell AH-1W Super Cobra|
|Operator||United States Marine Corps|
The 2009 California mid-air collision occurred at sea, west of San Diego, on 29 October. It involved a Lockheed C-130H Hercules of the United States Coast Guard and a Bell AH-1W Super Cobra of the United States Marine Corps. There were no survivors from the nine crew aboard either aircraft.
At 19:10 local time on 29 October 2009 (02:10 on 30 October UTC), a Lockheed C-130H Hercules aircraft of the United States Coast Guard was involved in a mid-air collision with a Bell AH-1W Super Cobra helicopter of the United States Marine Corps. The location of the accident was 24 kilometres (15 mi) east off San Clemente Island, California. The Hercules was carrying a crew of seven and the Cobra was carrying a crew of two people. No survivors were found. Eyewitnesses reported seeing a fireball in the sky. Debris from the collision was reported at the scene. The Hercules was on a mission to search for a missing rower while the Super Cobra was on a training flight. Two Sikorsky MH-60J helicopters along with USCGC Edisto, USCGC Petrel and USCGC Blackfin were sent to search the area. USCGC Blacktip, USCGC George Cobb and USCGC Jarvis later joined the search.
The C-130 Hercules involved was serial number 1705. The aircraft was c/n 382-4993 and it had formerly served with the United States Air Force as 83-0007. It was based at the Coast Guard Air Station in Sacramento, California.
AH-1W Super Cobra
The Super Cobra was operated by Marine Aircraft Group 39, based at Camp Pendleton. Personnel aboard the aircraft belonged to Marine Aircraft Group 39 and the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, based at Miramar.
A joint investigation by the United States Coast Guard and the United States Marine Corps has been opened into the accident. It is headed by Rear Admiral Korn.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Archived from the original on 10 November 2009. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
- "Nine missing after US air crash". BBC News Online. 30 October 2009. Archived from the original on 30 October 2009. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
- Nasaw, Daniel (30 October 2009). "Nine feared dead after US coastguard plane hits helicopter". London: The Guardian. Archived from the original on 2 November 2009. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
- "Survivors unlikely in crash of McClellan-based Coast Guard plane, Pentagon says". The Sacramento Bee. Archived from the original on 1 November 2009. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
- "Marine Helicopter And Coast Guard Plane Collide Off San Diego Coast". San Diego 6 News. Retrieved 30 October 2009.
- "Web Journal of Admiral Thad Allen". Admiral Thad Allen, United States Coast Guard. Retrieved 3 November 2009.
- "Lockheed HC-130B/H/J Hercules Used by the USCG". Aeroflight. Retrieved 30 October 2009.