2009 Papua earthquakes
|Date||January 3, 2009 at 19:43:54 UTC |
|Magnitude||7.6 Mw |
|Depth||30 km (19 mi) |
|Max. intensity||19:43 – VI (Strong) 
22:33 – VIII (Severe) 
|Tsunami||1.8 m (5 ft 11 in) |
|Aftershocks||7.4 Mw January 3 at 22:33 |
|Casualties||4 dead, dozens injured|
The 2009 Papua earthquakes occurred on January 4 local time in Indonesia's West Papua province. The very large earthquake doublet comprised a magnitude 7.6 initial shock that had a maximum Mercalli intensity of VI (Strong) and a second very large event that had a moment magnitude of 7.4 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VIII (Severe). The events took place less than three hours apart to the east-northeast of Sorong on the Bird's Head Peninsula and left at least four people dead and dozens injured.
An official of World Vision International, a humanitarian aid organization, said ten buildings had been totally destroyed, including several hotels and the house of a government official. Officials said three people, who had been staying at the Mutiara hotel in the city of Manokwari, were pulled alive from the rubble and taken to a hospital. Two hotels collapsed in the quake. There have been twenty-three aftershocks above magnitude 5.0 and another at magnitude 6.0. The earthquakes were also felt in nearby Papua New Guinea and Darwin, Australia.
- ISC (2015), ISC-GEM Global Instrumental Earthquake Catalogue (1900-2009), Version 2.0, International Seismological Centre
- Poiata, N.; Koketsu, K.; Miyake, H. (2010), "Source processes of the 2009 Irian Jaya, Indonesia, earthquake doublet" (PDF), Earth, Planets and Space (Springer) 62: 475
- USGS. "M7.7 - near the north coast of Papua, Indonesia". United States Geological Survey.
- USGS. "M7.4 - near the north coast of Papua, Indonesia". United States Geological Survey.
- BBC News - Strong earthquake rocks Indonesia Retrieved on January 4, 2009
- Indonesia earthquake kills at least four CNN. Retrieved on January 4, 2009
- Quake hits Indonesia's Papua island, four dead Reuters. Retrieved on January 4, 2009