2009 UK Championship
|Dates||5–13 December 2009|
|Venue||Telford International Centre|
|Total prize fund||£625,000|
|Highest break|| Mark Selby (141)|
Stephen Lee (141)
This was the first time that the UK Championship was sponsored by Pukka Pies, and thus the winning player also received his weight in the sponsor's product. Ding Junhui won in the final 10–8 against John Higgins.
A controversial incident occurred in frame 13 of the semi final match between John Higgins and Ronnie O'Sullivan. In trying to escape from a snooker after Higgins had left him in among the reds, O'Sullivan brushed one of the balls with his wrist while trying to play a colour. The foul was called by referee Jan Verhaas and acknowledged by O'Sullivan; however, when Higgins asked for the cue ball to be replaced, the referee refused because he had not called a miss- the foul could not be called as a miss by the letter of the law as a stroke had not actually been played- and he also did not have the option of a free ball. Additionally, O'Sullivan could not be put back in because in a situation where reds are still on the table, the miss rule does not apply when playing a colour and O'Sullivan would have to play for a red if the cue ball was replaced. Higgins was awarded 4 points for the foul but was required to play the next shot from where the cue ball finished. The incident was debated in the TV studio by former players Steve Davis and John Parrot who were covering the event for BBC, both of whom stated that they had never known of this situation having occurred before, and Verhaas was interviewed by Davis. The referee stated that he had applied the letter of the law but acknowledged that the law may need to be reviewed and that in the spirit of fair play he could have required O'Sullivan to play for a colour. Higgins took the frame and eventually won the match 9-8.
The breakdown of prize money for this year is shown below:
Stage one highest break: £500
Stage one maximum break: £1,000
* Dott withdrew due to illness.
|Final: Best of 19 frames. Referee: Eirian Williams.|
Telford International Centre, Telford, England, 13 December 2009.
|Ding Junhui (13)
|10–8||John Higgins (2)|
|Afternoon: 93–11 (81), 43–75 (67), 101–27 (69), 32–77, 78–4 (63), 51–62, 65–49, 0–96 (80)|
Evening: 58–22, 21–67, 78–12 (50), 12–99 (91), 5–68, 75–5 (74), 64–58, 62–49, 18–115 (115), 84–36 (75)
Televised stage centuries
Qualifying stage centuries
- "Pukka Partnership for UK Championship". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 23 January 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Now that's Pukka ... New UK Snooker champion will win his weight in pies". London: Daily Mail. 11 December 2009. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Ding Junhui beats John Higgins in UK Championship final". BBC Sport. 14 December 2009. Archived from the original on 15 April 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- OneFourSevenDream (2009-12-17), UK Snooker Championship 2009 - Miss rule controversy: interview Jan Verhaas, retrieved 2018-10-10
- "Prize Money". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 19 April 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Main Event (Results)". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 8 April 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Main Event (Draw)". World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association. Archived from the original on 16 April 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Qualifying (Results)". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 26 March 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Qualifying (Draw)". World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association. Archived from the original on 24 November 2009. Retrieved 17 April 2010.
- "Century Break List". Global Snooker. Archived from the original on 30 March 2010. Retrieved 17 April 2010.