2009 World Football Challenge
|Teams||4 (from 3 federations)|
|Goals scored||14 (2.33 per match)|
|Attendance||336,813 (56,136 per match)|
|Top goal scorer(s)|| Didier Drogba
The 2009 World Football Challenge was the first World Football Challenge event, an exhibition international club football competition featuring football clubs from Europe and North America, which has been held first in summer of 2009. Chelsea are the 2009 champions.
In 2009, each team played the other three teams in the tournament once in a round-robin tournament format, with each game played at a neutral venue in the United States. Chelsea emerged as the World Football Challenge champion for 2009. The following four clubs participated in the 2009 tournament:
- Chelsea from the Premier League in England
- América from the Primera División de México in Mexico
- Inter Milan from the Serie A in Italy
- Milan from the Serie A in Italy
Six cities served as the venues of the 2009 World Football Challenge.
|Atlanta, Georgia||Baltimore, Maryland||Foxborough, Massachusetts||Arlington, Texas|
|Georgia Dome||M&T Bank Stadium||Gillette Stadium||Cowboys Stadium|
|Capacity: 71,228||Capacity: 71,008||Capacity: 68,756||Capacity: 80,000|
Clubs received one point for each goal scored in regulation time (up to three goals per game). Clubs earned three points for a win that does not go into penalty kicks. After 90 minutes of play, if the match was tied, each team received one point and the winner of the penalty kicks received an additional point. The team with the highest overall number of points determined the World Football Challenge champion.
July 19, 2009
|Silva 51'||Report||Córdoba 61'|
July 21, 2009
Lampard 50' (pen.)
July 22, 2009
July 24, 2009
July 26, 2009
|Milito 4', 75'||Report|
July 26, 2009
|Di Santo 76'
- "The US tour has been concluded with the World Football Challenge bowl and a fourth win in four". Chelsea. chelseafc.com.
- Scime, Adam (24 March 2009). "Inter, Chelsea And Milan Enter World Football Challenge 2009 Tournament". Goal.com. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
Chelsea, Milan and Inter have entered the World Football Challenge 2009 tournament along with Mexican entrants Club America.
- Cardillo, Michael (24 March 2009). "World Football Challenge Coming to a City Near You". Fanhouse. Archived from the original on June 15, 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
... which brings super clubs Chelsea, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Club America to a six-match 'series' this summer...
- "Chelsea, Inter, Club America and AC Milan to face off in U.S.". ESPN Soccernet. 24 March 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- "World Football Challenge". World Football Challenge. Archived from the original on July 16, 2009. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- "Report: AC Milan v Internazionale - World Football Challenge - ESPNFC". Soccernet.espn.go.com. 2009-07-26. Retrieved 2012-10-24.