2009 World Grand Prix (darts)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Skybet World Grand Prix|
|Dates||5–11 October 2009|
|Country||Republic of Ireland|
"double in, double out"
Final – best of 11
|High checkout||167 Adrian Lewis|
The 2009 Skybet World Grand Prix was the twelfth instance of the darts tournament held by the Professional Darts Corporation, the World Grand Prix. It was held from October 5 to October 11. It was staged at the Citywest International Event & Convention Centre in Dublin. The event featured a tournament record prize fund of £350,000 with £100,000 going to the winner.
The tournament's usual format was in play with the usual 501 legs double-in double-out format (the World Grand Prix remains the only televised darts tournament to use the double-in format). The first round's games were best of 3 sets - the quickfire nature of this round means shocks are frequent in this round, not least involving eight-time champion Phil Taylor who, three times, has gone out in the first round here. Second round games were best of 5 sets, the quarter finals best of 7 sets, the semi finals best of 9 sets, and the final was best of 11 sets. All sets were best of 5 legs/first to three legs.
A tournament record prize fund of £350,000 was available to the participants, divided based on the following performances:
Champion - £100,000
Runner-up - £40,000
Semi-finalists - £20,500
Quarter-finalists - £12,500
Second round losers - £7,000
First round losers - £4,000
The field of 32 players was mostly made up from the top 16 players in the PDC Order of Merit on September 7, following the two Players Championship events in Salzburg, Austria. The top 8 from these rankings were also the seeded players. The remaining 16 places went to the top 12 non-qualified players from the 2009 Players Championship Order of Merit, and then to the top 4 non-qualified residents of the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland from the 2009 Players Championship Order of Merit who have competed in at least six Players Championship events.
|Player||Played||Sets Won||Sets Lost||Legs Won||Legs Lost||LWAT||100+||140+||180s||High Checkout||3-dart Average|
|Raymond van Barneveld||5||17||11||59||59||17||149||58||24||130||87.41|
|Vincent van der Voort||1||1||2||7||7||3||22||6||2||136||84.59|
|Michael van Gerwen||1||0||2||3||6||1||11||5||1||50||79.23|
Television coverage and sponsorship
As usual and since its inception the tournament was screened by Sky Sports.
The tournament was sponsored for the last time by Sky Bet after five years.
- Venue Boost For World Grand Prix obtained 02-10-2009
- Skybet World Grand Prix Schedule of Play obtained 02-10-2009
- "Skybet World Grand Prix Field". Planet Darts. September 7, 2009.
- "Skybet World Grand Prix - Monday". Planet Darts. October 5, 2009.
- "Skybet World Grand Prix - Tuesday". Planet Darts. October 6, 2009.
- "Skybet World Grand Prix - Weds". Planet Darts. October 7, 2009. Archived from the original on September 16, 2012.
- "Skybet World Grand Prix - Thurs". Planet Darts. October 8, 2009.
- "Skybet World Grand Prix - Friday". Planet Darts. October 9, 2009.
- "Skybet World Grand Prix Semis". Planet Darts. October 10, 2009.
- "Battling Taylor's Dublin Joy". Planet Darts. October 11, 2009.