From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Events in the year 2009 in Germany.
- 15 January - Germany presses Moscow and Kiev to end the Russian gas crisis.
- March - The Volkswagen Polo Mk5 is launched at the Geneva Motor Show and was voted European Car of the Year eight months later.
- 11 March - A 17-year-old former student goes on a rampage at his former school in Winnenden, Germany, killing at least fifteen people, before turning the gun on himself.
- 23 May - German presidential election, 2009
- 15–23 August - 2009 World Championships in Athletics takes place in Berlin. Usain Bolt breaks the world records for 200 metres and 100 metres.
- 30 August - Saarland state election, 2009, Saxony state election, 2009 and Thuringia state election, 2009 take place
- September - Opel launches new Astra at Frankfurt Motor Show.
- 27 September - German federal election, 2009 takes place. Angela Merkel wins reelection as chancellor.
- 27 September - Schleswig-Holstein state election, 2009 and Brandenburg state election, 2009 take place.
- 28 October - German bishop Margot Käßmann becomes first elected woman as leader of Evangelical Church in Germany.
- 30 October - Christine Lieberknecht (CDU) becomes Minister-President of state Thuringia.
- 27 November - Wolfgang Schneiderhan, the Chief of Staff of the German Bundeswehr, and Franz Josef Jung resign over allegations that they withheld information in the aftermath of the Kunduz airstrike.
- 30 November - Ursula von der Leyen becomes Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (Germany) and Kristina Köhler becomes new Federal Ministry of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2011)
- 5 January - Adolf Merckle, industrialist (born 1934)
- 2 March - Ernst Benda, politician (born 1925)
- 28 March - Helmut Noller, Olympic sprint canoer (born 1919)
- 23 May - Barbara Rudnik, actress (born 1958)
- 17 June - Ralf Dahrendorf, sociologist and politician (born 1929)
- 19 June - Joerg Hube, actor (born 1943)
- 30 June - Pina Bausch, choreographer and dancer (born 1940)
- 30 July - Peter Zadek, theatre and film director (born 1926)
- 31 July - Ilona Christen, journalist (born 1951)
- 18 August - Hildegard Behrens, opera singer (born 1937)
- 19 September - Eduard Zimmermann, journalist (born 1929)
- 3 October - Reinhard Mohn, businessman (born 1921)
- 4 October - Guenther Rall, fighter pilot (born 1918)
- 6 October - Werner Maihofer, jurist and legal philosopher (born 1918)
- 9 October - Horst Szymaniak, footballer (born 1934)
- 19 October - Dietrich von Bothmer, art historian (born 1918)
- 10 November - Robert Enke, footballer (born 1977)
- 27 November - Erich Böhme, journalist (born 1930)
- 5 December - Otto Graf Lambsdorff, German politician of the Free Democratic Party (born 1926)