2009 in Pakistan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 2009
List of years in Pakistan
- 3 March, The Sri Lankan cricket team are attacked in the city of Lahore.
- 6 March, Investigators in Pakistan are tracking down members of Lashkar-e-Taiba in the search for the perpetrators of the Lahore attack.
- 16 March, Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani addressed the nation, restoring the deposed Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry and other judges.
- 27 March, a bomb attack in the FATA kills at least 48.
- 30 March, Unidentified gunmen attacked and seized the Manawan Police Academy, which is based in Lahore. At least 18 people were later killed and around 95 others injured in the subsequent storming of the building by the Pakistani security forces.
- On July 3, 2009, Taliban militants Saturday claimed responsibility for a military helicopter crash that killed 41 people in the rugged tribal area in the country's north. However, a military spokesman rejected the claim, reiterating that the helicopter had crashed due to a 'technical fault.' 41 security personnel, including 19 personnel of the paramilitary Frontier Crops, 18 regulars from the army and four crew members, on board a military transport helicopter were killed when it crashed in Chapri Ferozkhel area on the border of Khyber and Orakzai tribal regions on Friday afternoon.
- 1 August, The 2009 Gojra riots began. Militant Islamists attacked Pakistan's Christian minority in a massive anti-Christian pogrom.
- October 5, five people were killed when a suicide bomber dressed in military fatigues walked through the security cordon at the World Food Program offices of the United Nations in Islamabad.
- October 9, in the busiest bazaar in Peshawar, the capital of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, militants set off a car bomb that killed 48 people.
- October 11, 10 militants dressed in army fatigues and armed with automatic weapons, mines, grenades and suicide jackets breached the perimeter of the army headquarters in Rawalpindi in a raid that left 23 people dead and set off a 20-hour siege.
- October 12, militants launched their fourth assault in a week on strategic targets across Pakistan, this time with a suicide car bombing against a military vehicle in a crowded market in the northwest, killing 41 people and wounding dozens more.
- December 29 – A bombing occurs during the main Jaloos in Karachi in which the Shias were mourning over the Day of Ashura. 43 persons were killed while almost 60 persons were injured.
- 20 November - Ghulam Mustafa Jatoi, politician (born 1931)
- 2008 in Pakistan
- Other events of 2009
- 2010 in Pakistan
- Timeline of Pakistani history
- 2009 in Pakistani television
- List of Pakistani films of 2009
- Investigators see LeT footprints in Lahore attack[permanent dead link]
- CJP reinstated but political differences persist
- "Helicopter crash kills 41 security personnel" Dawn, 4 July 2009
- Pir Zubair Shah and Mark McDonald (October 12, 2009). "Car Bomb Kills at Least 41 in Restive Region of Pakistan". New York Times. Archived from the original on 8 April 2011. Retrieved October 12, 2009.