2010–11 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season
|2010–11 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season|
|League||NCAA Division I|
|Duration||December 27, 2010
– March 6, 2011
|Number of teams||11|
|Total attendance||2,475,440 |
|Average attendance||12,826 |
|TV partner(s)||Big Ten Network, ESPN, CBS|
|2011 NBA Draft|
|Top draft pick||JaJuan Johnson, 27th overall|
|Picked by||New Jersey Nets|
|2010–11 NCAA Division I season|
|Regular season champions||Ohio State|
|Season MVP||JaJuan Johnson|
|Tournament MVP||Jared Sullinger|
|2010–11 Big Ten Conference men's basketball standings|
|#1 Ohio State †||16||–||2||.889||34||–||3||.919|
|† 2011 Big Ten Tournament winner
As of March 19, 2011; Rankings from AP Poll
The 2010–11 Big Ten Conference men's basketball season marks the continuation of the annual tradition of competitive basketball among Big Ten Conference members that began in 1904. The non-conference portion of the 2010–11 NCAA Division I men's basketball season began on November 8, 2010 with Illinois defeating UC Irvine in the opening round of the 2010 Coaches Vs. Cancer Classic. Conference play is set to begin on December 27, 2010 with Penn State traveling to play Indiana in Bloomington, Indiana. Following conference play, Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis will host the 2011 Big Ten Conference Men's Basketball Tournament to be played Thursday, March 10 through Sunday, March 13. The Big Ten Conference will host second and third round games of the 2011 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament at the United Center in Chicago March 18 and 20, 2011.
The Big Ten had seven teams invited to the 68-team 2011 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament (NCAA Tournament) and one team invited to the 2011 National Invitation Tournament (NIT). Ohio State was a number one seed and along with Wisconsin survived until the Sweet Sixteen round. No Big Ten teams made the elite eight and the Big Ten finished with a 7–7 record in the tournament. Northwestern made the elite eight round of the 32-team NIT before being eliminated.
JaJuan Johnson was the regular season MVP and Jared Sullinger was the 2011 Big Ten Conference Men's Basketball Tournament MVP. Both earned first team recognition as 2011 NCAA Men's Basketball All-Americans and Sullinger earned numerous National Freshman of the Year Awards. The conference led the nation in attendance for the 35th straight season with a 12,826 overall average and 7 of the top 25 schools.
- 1 Preseason
- 2 Rankings
- 3 Preconference schedules
- 4 Player of the week
- 5 Honors and accolades
- 6 Postseason
- 7 Notes
- 8 External links
Seventeen members of the 2009-10 All-Conference teams returned, including five players who earned first-team honors over the prior two seasons and a previous Big Ten Player of the Year. Eight career 1,000-points scorers, including two 1,500-point scorers returned. Fourteen of the conference's top scorers and rebounders in all games played from last season, including five of the top 10 of each category returned. Eight players that led the conference in a statistical category last season for all games played also returned.
The Big Ten media panel announced that they selected Michigan State, Ohio State and Purdue as the preseason media day selections. They also announced the 2010–11 All-Big Ten Conference first-team selections: Kalin Lucas MSU, Demetri McCamey ILL, E'Twaun Moore PUR, Jon Leuer WIS, and JaJuan Johnson PUR. Lucas repeated as the preseason conference player of the year.
On October 4, 2010, the Wooden Award preseason watch list included eight Big Ten players. The watchlist was composed of 50 players who were not transfers, freshmen or medical redshirts. The list will be reduced to a 30-player mid-season watchlist in December and a final national ballot of about 20 players in March. The Naismith College Player of the Year watchlist of 50 players was announced on November 16, 2010. In late February, a shorter list of the Top 30 will be compiled in preparation for a March vote to narrow the list to the four finalists.
|Improvement in ranking|
|Drop in ranking|
|Not ranked previous week|
|RV||Received votes but were not ranked in Top 25 of poll|
Big Ten teams emerged victorious in the following tournament:
|Puerto Rico Tip-Off||Nov. 18–21||
|Date||Time||ACC Team||Big Ten Team||Location||Television||Attendance||Winner||Challenge
|Mon., Nov. 29||7:00PM||Virginia||#13 Minnesota||Williams Arena • Minneapolis, MN||ESPN2||
|Tue., Nov. 30||7:00PM||Wake Forest||Iowa||LJVM Coliseum • Winston-Salem, NC||ESPNU||
||Wake Forest (76-73)||
|7:00PM||Georgia Tech||Northwestern||Welsh-Ryan Arena • Evanston, IL||ESPN2||
|7:30PM||Florida State||#2 Ohio State||Donald L. Tucker Center • Tallahassee, FL||ESPN||
||Ohio State (58-44)||
|9:00PM||Clemson||Michigan||Littlejohn Coliseum • Clemson, SC||ESPN2||
|9:30PM||North Carolina||#21 Illinois||Assembly Hall • Champaign, IL||ESPN||
|Wed., Dec. 1||7:15PM||Boston College||Indiana||Conte Forum • Chestnut Hill, MA||ESPNU||
||Boston College (88-76)||
|7:15PM||NC State||Wisconsin||Kohl Center • Madison, WI||ESPN2||
|7:30PM||Virginia Tech||#18 Purdue||Cassell Coliseum • Blacksburg, VA||ESPN||
||Purdue (58-55 OT)||
|9:15PM||Maryland||Penn State||Bryce Jordan Center • University Park, PA||ESPN2||
|9:30PM||#1 Duke||#6 Michigan State||Cameron Indoor Stadium • Durham, NC||ESPN||
|Game Times in EST. Rankings from ESPN Coaches Poll (11/29).
Miami did not play due to its last place finish in the ACC during the 2009–2010 season.
Player of the week
- Players of the week
Throughout the conference regular season, the Big Ten offices named a player of the week each Monday.
Honors and accolades
On February 3, 2011, Michigan's Zack Novak (District 4), Northwestern's Drew Crawford (District 5) and Minnesota's Blake Hoffarber (District 5) were selected by CoSIDA as among the forty Academic All-District players, making them finalists for fifteen Academic All-American selections later in the month. Hoffarber was named as a second team Academic All-American. The conference also had 37 Academic All-Conference Team selections.
Jared Sullinger and JaJuan Johnson were among the ten finalists for the Oscar Robertson Trophy. Demetri McCamey, Sullinger, Johnson E'Twaun Moore and Jon Leuer were Naismith Award Midseason Top 30 List selections. McCamey and Jordan Taylor are Bob Cousy Award finalists. Sullinger was among the five finalists for the Wayman Tisdale Award. Moore, Leuer and David Lighty were selected among the ten Lowe's Senior CLASS Award finalists.
Two sets of conference award winners were recognized by the Big Ten - one selected by league coaches and one selected by the media.
The National Association of Basketball Coaches announced their Division I All‐District teams on March 9, recognizing the nation’s best men’s collegiate basketball student-athletes. Selected and voted on by member coaches of the NABC, 245 student-athletes, from 24 districts were chosen. The selection on this list were then eligible for the State Farm Coaches’ Division I All-America teams. The following list represented the Big Ten players chosen to the list. Since the Big Ten Conference was its own district, this is equivalent to being named All-Big Ten by the NABC.
On March 10, the U.S. Basketball Writers Association released its 2010–11 Men's All-District Teams, based on voting from its national membership. There were nine regions from coast to coast, and a player and coach of the year were selected in each. The following lists all the Big Ten representatives selected within their respective regions.
|District II (NY, NJ, DE, DC, PA, WV)
||District V (OH, IN, IL, MI, MN, WI)
Player of the Year
Coach of the Year
|District VI (IA, MO, KS, OK, NE, ND, SD)
National postseason honors
Johnson and Sullinger were named first team 2011 NCAA Men's Basketball All-Americans by the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA). They were also first team selections by Sporting News and Associated Press who also selected Jordan Taylor to their second teams. The National Association of Basketball Coaches named Johnson and Sullinger to its first team and Taylor and Moore to its third team. The Associated Press named Talor Battle, Jon Leuer, and E'Twaun Moore as honorable mention selections.
Sullinger won the Wayman Tisdale Award as the USBWA's National Freshman of the Year and Sporting News' Freshman of the Year. Sullinger, Aaron Craft, Jereme Richmond and Tim Hardaway, Jr. were among the 21 players selected to the 2011 Collegeinsider.com Freshmen All-America team.
Following the season four players were invited to the June 17 — June 24, 2011 17-man tryouts for the 12-man FIBA Under-19 World Championship team by USA Basketball: Hardaway (UofM), Keith Appling (MSU), Melsahn Basabe (Iowa) and Meyers Leonard (Ill.). The 12 selected players will compete as Team USA in the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championships in Latvia from June 30 — July 10, 2011. Appling, Hardaway and Leonard made the final roster.
Big Ten Tournament
|Ohio State||Automatic||1||Won vs. #16 UTSA 75–46
Won vs. #8 George Mason 98–66
Lost vs. #4 Kentucky 62–60
|Purdue||At-large||3||Won vs. #14 Saint Peter's 65–43
Lost vs. #11 VCU 94–76
|Wisconsin||At-large||4||Won vs. #13 Belmont 72–58
Won vs. #5 Kansas State 70–65
Lost vs. #8 Butler 61–54
|Michigan||At-large||8||Won vs. #9 Tennessee 75–45
Lost vs. #1 Duke 73–71
|Illinois||At-large||9||Won vs. #8 UNLV 73–62
Lost vs. #1 Kansas 73–59
|Penn State||At-large||10||Lost vs. #7 Temple 66–64|
|Michigan State||At-large||10||Lost vs. #7 UCLA 78–76|
National Invitation Tournament
|Northwestern||At-large||4||Won vs. #5 Milwaukee 70–61
Won vs. #1 Boston College 85–67
Lost vs. #2 Washington State 69–66 (OT)
The Big Ten did not have any entrants in the other post season tournaments.
- The following All-Big Ten performers were listed as seniors: JaJuan Johnson, E'Twaun Moore, Talor Battle, David Lighty, Jon Leuer, Demetri McCamey, Jon Diebler, and Michael Thompson
- Darius Morris has sought the advice of the NBA's undergraduate advisory committee to determine his draft prospects. On May 4, Morris announced his final decision not to withdraw his name prior to the May 8 deadline and to enter the June 23, 2011 NBA Draft.
- The following were Big Ten underclassmen, who declared early for the 2011 draft: Darius Morris, Jereme Richmond, Ralph Sampson III, John Shurna.
- The following were Big Ten underclassmen who entered their name in the draft but who did not hire agents and opted to return to college:Ralph Sampson III & John Shurna.
A total of five Big Ten players were selected in the 2011 NBA Draft.
|1||27||Johnson, JaJuanJaJuan Johnson||PF||United States||New Jersey Nets (from L.A. Lakers, traded to Boston)||Purdue (Sr.)|
|2||40||Leuer, JonJon Leuer||PF||United States||Milwaukee Bucks||Wisconsin (Sr.)|
|2||41||Morris, DariusDarius Morris||PG||United States||Los Angeles Lakers (from Golden State via New Jersey)||Michigan (So.)|
|2||51||Diebler, JonJon Diebler||SG||United States||Portland Trail Blazers||Ohio State (Sr.)|
|2||55||Moore, EtwaunE'Twaun Moore||SG||United States||Boston Celtics||Purdue (Sr.)|
- "Big Ten Men's Basketball Leads Nation in Attendance for 35th Straight Year". BigTen.org. CBS Interactive. 2011-04-27. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Big Ten Standings - 2010-11". ESPN. Retrieved March 26, 2011.
- "2011 NCAA Men's Basketball Rankings". ESPN. Retrieved March 14, 2011.
- "Big Ten Men's Basketball Leads Nation in Attendance for 35th Straight Year". CBS Interactive. 2011-04-27. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Big Ten Men's Basketball Weekly Release - Nov. 8, 2010: All 11 Big Ten teams in action this week to open 2010-11 season". CBS Interactive. 2010-11-08. Archived from the original on 12 November 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "Big Ten Media Tab Michigan State as Conference's Preseason Favorite: Spartans' Kalin Lucas selected as Preseason Player of the Year". CBS Interactive. 2010-10-28. Archived from the original on 31 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- 2010-2011 Men’s Preseason Top 50 Candidates, WoodenAward.com, 2010-11-04
- DUKE UNIVERSITY LEADS A DIVERSE PACK ON THE NAISMITH PRESEASON WATCH LIST, MSL Atlanta, 2010-11-16
- "Big Ten Men's Basketball Weekly Release - Nov. 15, 2010". CBS Interactive. 2010-11-15. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Five Big Ten Teams Ranked in USA Today/ESPN Preseason Top 25 Men's Basketball Coaches Poll: Big Ten leads all conferences with three top-10 teams". CBS Interactive. 2010-10-21. Archived from the original on 24 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-14.
- "2011 NCAA Men's Basketball Rankings". ESPN. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Northwestern and Ohio State Garner First Weekly Honor of 2010-11 Season: Conference honors Northwestern's John Shurna and Ohio State's Jared Sullinger for season's first Player and Freshman of the Week awards". CBS Interactive. 2010-11-15. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Minnesota and Ohio State Receive Men's Basketball Weekly Honors: Minnesota's Trevor Mbakwe and Ohio State's Jared Sullinger tabbed Player of the Week; Sullinger earns Freshman of the Week recognition". CBS Interactive. 2010-11-22. Retrieved 2010-11-23.
- "Michigan State and Ohio State Earn Weekly Big Ten Honors: Michigan State's Lucas named Player of the Week; Ohio State's Thomas named Freshman of the Week". CBS Interactive. 2010-11-29. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- "Wisconsin and Ohio State Receive Men's Basketball Weekly Honors: Wisconsin's Leuer named Player of the Week; Ohio State's Sullinger named Freshman of the Week". CBS Interactive. 2010-12-06. Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- "Ohio State's Sullinger Named Big Ten Player and Freshman of the Week: Ohio State's Jared Sullinger earns Big Ten Player of the Week honors for the second time and Freshman of the Week honors for the fourth time this season.". CBS Interactive. 2010-12-13. Archived from the original on 22 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-15. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "OSSNBTPaFotW" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- "Northwestern and Ohio State Earn Weekly Big Ten Honors: Northwestern's Shurna named Player of the Week; Ohio State's Sullinger named Freshman of the Week". CBS Interactive. 2010-12-20. Archived from the original on 22 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- "Michigan and Ohio State Claim Weekly Conference Honors: Michigan and Ohio State earn conference recognition". CBS Interactive. 2010-12-27. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- "Illinois, Ohio State and Purdue Receive Men's Basketball Weekly Honors: Illinois' McCamey and Purdue's Moore share Player of the Week honors;". Big Ten Conference. 2011-01-03. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- "Ohio State and Purdue Receive Conference Honors: Ohio State's Sullinger and Purdue's Smith Receive Big Ten Men's Basketball Honors". Big Ten Conference. 2011-01-10. Retrieved 2011-01-21.
- "Michigan State and Ohio State Receive Men's Basketball Weekly Honors". Big Ten Conference. 2011-01-17. Retrieved 2011-01-20.
- "Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State Earn Conference Recognition: Michigan's Darius Morris and Penn State's Talor Battle share Player of the Week while Ohio State's Jared Sullinger earns Freshman of the Week honors.". Big Ten Conference. 2011-01-31. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- "Wisconsin and Ohio State Earn Weekly Conference Honors". Big Ten Conference. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2011-02-07.
- "Wisconsin and Michigan Receive Men's Basketball Weekly Honors: Wisconsin's Jordan Taylor earns Player of the Week; Michigan's Tim Hardaway receives Freshman of the Week honors.". Big Ten Conference. 2011-02-14. Retrieved 2011-02-15.
- "Purdue and Michigan Garner Weekly Basketball Awards: Purdue's E'Twaun Moore earns Player of the Week while Tim Hardaway Jr. was tabbed Freshman of the Week.". Big Ten Conference. 2011-02-21. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Purdue and Michigan Garner Conference Recognition: Purdue's JaJuan Johnson earns Player of the Week while Michigan's Tim Hardaway Jr. was tabbed Freshman of the Week.". Big Ten Conference. 2011-02-28. Retrieved 2011-02-28.
- "Ohio State Sweeps Weekly Basketball Awards: Ohio State's Jon Diebler and Jared Sullinger earned Player and Freshman of the Week, respectively.". Big Ten Conference. 2011-03-07. Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- "Capital One Academic All-District ® Men’s Basketball Teams Released" (PDF). College Sports Information Directors of America. 2011-02-03. Retrieved 2011-02-06.
- "Matt Howard of Butler, Austin Meier of MSOE Lead Capital One Academic All America Men's Basketball Team" (PDF). College Sports Information Directors of America. 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Big Ten Announces Winter Academic All-Conference Teams". CBS Interactive. 2011-03-30. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Men's Basketball". CBS Interactive. 2011-03-30. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Big Ten Men's Basketball Weekly Release - Feb. 28, 2011: Big Ten title on the line in final week of regular season". CBS Interactive. 2011-02-28. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Big Ten Announces All-Big Ten Teams and Individual Honorees: Purdue's JaJuan Johnson Named Big Ten Player and Defensive Player of the Year.". CBS Interactive. 2011-03-07. Retrieved 2011-03-07.
- "National Association of Basketball Coaches Announces 2011 Division I All-District Teams" (PDF). National Association of Basketball Coaches. 2011-03-09. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "2008–09 NABC Division I Men's Basketball: District Realignment". National Association of Basketball Coaches/CBS Interactive. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "USBWA Names 2010-11 Men's All-District Teams". U.S. Basketball Writers Association. 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2010-03-16.
- "Wooden Award Finalists Released". Big Ten Network. 2011-03-14. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- "USBWA Names 2010-11 All-Americans". United States Basketball Writers Association. 2011-03-14. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- "Jimmer Fredette named Sporting News' 2011 College Basketball Player of the Year". Sporting News. 2011-03-22. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "Jimmer Fredette leads AP All-America". ESPN. 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "NABC ANNOUNCES 2011 State Farm Coaches' Division I All-America Teams". NABC. 2011-04-02. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "UConn's Kemba Walker Named To AP All-America First Team". Hartford Courant. 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- "Ohio State's Sullinger Wins 2011 Wayman Tisdale Award". United States Basketball Writers Association. 2011-03-15. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- Crossman, Matt (2011-03-22). "Ohio State forward Jared Sullinger named Sporting News Freshman of the Year". Sporting News. Retrieved 2011-03-23.
- "The 2011 Freshmen All-America team". Collegeinsider.com. 2011-03-25. Archived from the original on 29 March 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- Snyder, Mark (2011-05-12). "Keith Appling, Tim Hardaway Jr. invited to USA Basketball U-19 tryouts". Detroit Free Press. Archived from the original on 2011-06-12. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- Rothstein, Michael (2011-06-12). "Michigan guard Tim Hardaway Jr. prepares for U-19 USA Basketball tryouts". AnnArbor.com. Retrieved 2011-06-12.
- "Tim Hardaway Jr. makes 12-man USA U19 roster, will play in Europe". AnnArbor.com. 2011-06-24. Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- "One prep player on U.S. U-19 team". ESPN. 2011-06-23. Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- "Big Ten Leads USA Men's World University Games Team to Fifth Place". CBS Interactive. 2011-08-22. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Darius Morris asks for draft advice". ESPN. 2011-03-28. Retrieved 2011-03-28.
- Rothstein, Michael (2011-05-04). "Darius Morris officially leaves Michigan basketball for shot in the NBA". AnnArbor.com. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- Rothstein, Michael (2011-05-04). "Analysis: 5 reasons Darius Morris is making the right decision to leave Michigan for the NBA". AnnArbor.com. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- Snyder, Mark (2011-05-04). "Michigan's Darius Morris to remain in NBA draft". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-05-05.
- "Early entry candidates for 2011 NBA Draft". NBA.com. 2011-05-11. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- "Twenty-five players withdraw from Draft's early-entry list". NBA.com. 2011-05-11. Retrieved 2011-05-11.
- "Five Big Ten Players Taken in NBA Draft". CBS Interactive. 2011-06-23. Retrieved 2011-06-24.