2010–11 PBA season
|2010–11 PBA season|
|Duration||October 3, 2010 - August 21, 2011|
|Number of teams||10|
|TV partner(s)||Solar Sports (Studio 23)
DZRJ 810 (Local)
|Top draft pick||Nonoy Baclao|
|Picked by||Air21 Express|
|Philippine Cup champions||Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters|
|Runners-up||San Miguel Beermen|
|Commissioner's Cup champions||Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters|
|Runners-up||Barangay Ginebra Kings|
|Governors Cup champions||Petron Blaze Boosters|
|Runners-up||Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters|
|Season MVP||Jimmy Alapag (Talk 'N Text)|
|Top scorer||Gary David (Powerade)|
The 2010–11 PBA Season is the 36th season of the Philippine Basketball Association. It started on October 3, 2010 and ended on August 21, 2011. The season marked the return of the original three-conference format, starting with the Philippine Cup, or the traditional All-Filipino Conference. The import-laden Commissioner's Cup returned as the second tournament, while the Governors Cup also returned, serving as the third conference which also served as an import-laden tournament.
- 1 Pre-season events
- 2 Opening ceremonies
- 3 2010-11 Philippine Cup
- 4 2011 Commissioner's Cup
- 5 2011 PBA All-Star Weekend
- 6 2011 Governors Cup
- 7 Smart Ultimate All-Star Weekend
- 8 Individual awards
- 9 Awards given by the PBA Press Corps
- 10 Cumulative standings
- 11 References
- 12 External links
- For trades done on draft day, see 2010 PBA Draft.
- Air21 traded Doug Kramer to Rain or Shine for Marcy Arellano.
- Meralco delt Ali Peek to Air21 for Beau Belga. Peek was then traded to Talk 'N Text for J.R. Quiñahan.
- Later on a separate transaction, Talk 'N Text traded Mark Cardona to Air21 in exchange of their 2010 first round pick. Air21 later traded Cardona to Meralco in exchange of Joshua Urbiztondo and Meralco's 2010 1st round pick.
- B-Meg Derby Ace traded Paul Artadi to San Miguel in exchange of Jonas Villanueva. Air21, acting as a conduit team, will get B-Meg Derby Ace's 2014 1st draft pick in exchange of their 2013 2nd round pick.
- Powerade traded Larry Rodriguez to Rain or Shine in exchange for Eddie Laure and Rain or Shine's 2011 1st round draft pick.
- Meralco traded Jason Misolas and Khasim Mirza to Barako Bull for Rob Reyes. Reyes was then traded, along with Meralco's 2011 and 2012 2nd round picks to Powerade in exchange for Asi Taulava. Powerade's Ken Bono was also traded to Barako Bull for the team's 2013 2nd round draft pick.
The PBA board approved the rule changes for implementation starting this season:
|Rule changes (effective for the 2010–11 PBA season)|
- Angelico "Chito" Salud became the eight commissioner of the league after the incumbent Sonny Barrios retired from his post.
- The PBA board approved the sale of the Sta. Lucia team franchise to Meralco. The team will now be known as the Meralco Bolts.
- The league will return to a three-conference format starting this season.
- Coca Cola Philippines announced that they will rechristen the Coca Cola Tigers as the Powerade Tigers.
- The Alaska Aces retired the jerseys of Johnny Abarrientos and Bong Hawkins in celebration of the 25th year of their franchise on September 28.
The muses for the participating teams are as follows:
2010-11 Philippine Cup
- Barako Bull Energy Boosters trades Hans Thiele to the Meralco Bolts in exchange for Dennis Daa.
- San Miguel Beermen trades Lordy Tugade and Chris Canta to the Barako Bull Energy Boosters in exchange for Sunday Salvacion.
- Meralco Bolts trades Marlou Aquino, Khasim Mirza, Pong Escobal and a future draft pick to the Barako Bull Energy Boosters in exchange for Reed Juntilla and Mark Isip.
- Asi Taulava of Meralco, Solomon Mercado of Rain or Shine and Kelly Williams of Talk 'N Text will be loaned to Smart Gilas for the duration of the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.
- PBA Commissioner Chito Salud proposed a "Developmental League" patterned after the NBA's D-League after the merger of Liga Pilipinas and the Philippine Basketball League (PBL) fell out. The D-League proposal was eventually approved by the board of governors on January 25 and it is set to be launch on March.
- The board of governors approve the request of the Barako Bull Energy Boosters for a leave of absence for this season's Commissioner's Cup. The Smart Gilas Philippine basketball team will temporarily take over its place. All of the players of the Barako Bull will be put in a dispersal draft and will return to their mother team after the conference ends.
|1||y-Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||11||3||.786||--||+9|
|2||y-San Miguel Beermen||11||3||.786||--||−9|
|3||x-Barangay Ginebra Kings||10||4||.714||1|
|4||x-B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados||7||7||.500||4||+23|
|8||w-Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||5||9||.357||6|
|10||e-Barako Bull Energy Boosters||3||11||.214||8||−10|
|(#1 twice to beat)|
|1||Talk 'N Text||107|
|8||Rain or Shine||92|
|1||Talk 'N Text||4|
|(Best-of-3)||4||B-Meg Derby Ace||2|
|4||B-Meg Derby Ace||2|
|1||Talk 'N Text||4|
|(#2 twice-to-beat)||2||San Miguel||2|
- Philippine Cup Finals: (1) Talk 'N Text (11-3) def. (2) San Miguel (11-3), 4 games to 2.
- Best Player of the Conference: Jay Washington (San Miguel)
2011 Commissioner's Cup
- The conditional dispersal draft of the Barako Bull players was held in the PBA office in Libis, Quezon City on February 7. Out of the 14 players, only Lordy Tugade and Pong Escobal were drafted by San Miguel and B-Meg Derby Ace respectively.
- The Board of Governors approved Solar Entertainment's proposal to change its broadcast television partner from RPN to ABS-CBN's Studio 23 for the remainder of its contract with the league, beginning with the 2011 Commissioner's Cup.
- The PBA D-League will start on March 12 at the Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan. The league will be composed of 14 teams, with three teams (Powerade-UP, Metro Pacific, Maynilad) having affiliation with existing PBA teams. Four teams (Cobra Energy Drink, Agri-Nature Inc./FCA, Pharex, and Cafe France) that supposed to be part of the revival of the dormant Philippine Basketball League filed for application in the PBA D-League, hours after the PBL held its press conference regarding its revival.
- The sale of the Barako Bull Energy Boosters' franchise to Phoenix Petroleum did not push through after they failed to get the required number of votes (seven out of ten) from the PBA Board of Governors. Due to this development, Barako Bull's leave of absence was extended up to the end of the Governors' Cup.
- On January 20, Rain or Shine, Meralco and Air21 were involved in a tree way trade. Rain or Shine was able to get Ronjay Buenafe, Ronnie Matias, the 2011 and 2013 1st round picks from Air21 and Beau Belga from Meralco. Meralco will now have Solomon Mercado and Paolo Bugia from Rain or Shine and Erick Rodriguez of Air21. Air21 will now have Jay-R Reyes from Rain or Shine, Reed Juntilla from Meralco and the 2011 and 2013 second round pics from Meralco.
- On January 28, Air21 traded J.R. Quiñahan to Powerade in exchange for the team's 2014 1st round pick. The said trade was revised by Commissioner Chito Salud on January 31 and Air21 will instead get Powerade's 2012 second round and 2013 first round picks.
- Alaska traded Reynel Hugnatan to Meralco in exchange for Hans Thiele and Paolo Bugia.
- On March 2, Commissioner Chito Salud approves the trade between Air21 and San Miguel. Air21 traded top rookie picks Nonoy Baclao, Rabeh Al-Hussaini, and Rey Guevarra in exchange for Danny Seigle, Dondon Hontiveros, Dorian Peña and Paul Artadi. The proposed trade was disapproved by Commissioner Salud when San Miguel initially offered Danny Seigle, Mick Pennisi, Joseph Yeo and a 2011 first round pick in exchange for the three Air21 rookies.
- Meralco signs Marlou Aquino and will assume his Barako Bull contract until the end of the Commissioner's Cup.
- Smart Gilas has listed Borgie Hermida in their line-up for the Commissioner's Cup and will return to Barako Bull after the tournament. However,Barako Bull announced that they will not play for the remainder of the season. Eventually,Hermida was released from Gilas.
- San Miguel Beermen has added Paolo Hubalde to their roster for the Commissioner's Cup and will return to Barako Bull after the tournament.However,Barako Bull announced that they will not play for the remainder of the season.
- On January 10, the Rain or Shine Elasto Painters hired Air21 Express coach Yeng Guiao as head coach, after Guiao's contract with Air21 expired on December 31, 2010. Guiao will be replacing Caloy Garcia, who will slide down as assistant coach.
- On January 19, the Air21 Express hired Bong Ramos as head coach, replacing head Yeng Guiao whose contract expired on December 31, 2010.
|1||y-Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||8||1||.889||—|
|3||x-Barangay Ginebra Kings||5||4||.556||3||+12|
|6||x-Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||4||5||.444||4||+1|
|7||e-B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados||4||5||.444||4||−1|
|10||e-San Miguel Beermen||2||7||.222||6||−8|
|1||Talk 'N Text||3|
|5||Alaska||1||1||Talk 'N Text||4|
|3||Barangay Ginebra||2||3||Barangay Ginebra||3|
|6||Rain or Shine||1|
- Commissioner's Cup Finals: (1) Talk 'N Text (8-1) def. (3) Barangay Ginebra (5-4), 4 games to 2.
- Best Player of the Conference: Jimmy Alapag (Talk 'N Text)
- Best Import of the Conference: Nate Brumfield (Barangay Ginebra)
2011 PBA All-Star Weekend
- Obstacle Challenge: Jonas Villanueva (B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados)
- Three-point Shootout: Mark Macapagal (Powerade Tigers)
- Slam Dunk Competition: Kelly Williams (Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters)
- Legends Shootout: Active players - Mark Macapagal (Powerade), Ronald Tubid (Barangay Ginebra) and Jimmy Alapag (Talk 'N Text)
Rookie-Sophomore Blitz Game
|Rookies 114, Sophomores 106|
|Scoring by quarter: 27-23, 57-50, 82-84, 114-109|
|Pts: Labagala 25, Vanlandingham 17, Espiritu 16, Thiele 15, Wilson 14, Anthony 12, Guevarra 9, Weinstein 6||Pts: Rodriguez 27, Cruz 21, Gaco 19, Urbiztondo 15, Ross 14, Oreta 13|
|Robert Labagala and Sean Anthony were named the game's co-most valuable players.|
|North All-Stars 133, South All-Stars 129|
|Marc Pingris was named the game's most valuable players.|
2011 Governors Cup
- On May 18, Air21 traded Wesley Gonzales to Alaska for Elmer Espiritu.
- Alaska traded Joe Devance to Air21 for Jay-R Reyes. On May 30, Commissioner Chito Salud revised the trade and added Air21's 2011 and 2012 2nd round picks. On June 3, Devance then traded to B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados for KG Canaleta and Jondan Salvador.
- On July 18, Barangay Ginebra traded Willie Miller to Air21 Express for KG Canaleta and a 2012 first round draft pick (acquired from the Powerade Tigers in a trade involving Sean Anthony and Renren Ritualo on September 13, 2010)
- San Miguel Corporation announced that they will rename the San Miguel Beermen as the Petron Blaze Boosters.
- B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados shorten their name into B-Meg Llamados.
- Two elimination round games were held at the Al Shabab Al Arabi Sports Club in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from June 30 to July 1 featuring B-Meg, Talk 'N Text and Barangay Ginebra. B-Meg won against Talk 'N Text, 111-105, then Talk 'N Text beat Barangay Ginebra the next day, 123-113.
- Players of the Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters got stranded in Dubai after their two-game stint. The travel agency in charge reportedly cancelled their plane tickets to Manila after the non-payment of the organizers.
- PBA announced that TV5 will become the new TV coveror of the PBA for the next five years.This was made by Commissioner Chito Salud on July 8, 2011 during the PBA Board of Governors meeting. TV5 will guaranteed the league P700 million in cash,P150 million for marketing and promotions, and P115 million worth of ad spots up to 2016. TV5 will also be handling the radio coverage of the PBA as well.
- Barako Bull has sold their franchise to Linaheim Corp. following approval of the sale by the PBA Board of Governors on July 8, 2011, thus making the PBA to have 10 teams next season.
|1||y-Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||6||2||.750||—|
|2||y-Petron Blaze Boosters||5||3||.625||1||+10|
|4||y-Barangay Ginebra Kings||5||3||.625||1||−15|
|5||y-Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||4||4||.500||2||+11|
|1||z-Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||9||4||.692||-||3||2|
|2||z-Petron Blaze Boosters||8||5||.615||1||3||2||+13|
|4||e-Barangay Ginebra Kings||8||5||.615||1||3||2||−19|
|5||e-Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||6||7||.462||3||2||3|
*Point differential on games among tied teams, and if still tied, overall point differential.
- Governors Cup Finals: (2) Petron Blaze (8-5) def. (1) Talk 'N Text (9-4), 4 games to 3.
- Best Player of the Conference: Arwind Santos (Petron Blaze)
- Best Import of the Conference: Arizona Reid (Rain or Shine)
Smart Ultimate All-Star Weekend
The Smart Ultimate All-Star Weekend was held from July 23–24 at the newly renamed Smart Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City. The all star weekend featured the Smart All-Stars, with Kobe Bryant as its playing coach challenging the PBA All-Stars, with Chot Reyes as the head coach and the Smart Gilas Philippine national basketball team. The event was organized by Smart Communications and the MVP Sports Foundation, headed by Manuel V. Pangilinan, team owner of the Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters and the Meralco Bolts in the PBA.
Note: Due to the ongoing NBA lockout, the Smart All-Stars cannot affiliate themselves with the NBA or their teams. The list below indicates the NBA teams where the player is associated before the lockout began.
|Smart All-Stars 131, PBA All-Stars 105|
|Scoring by quarter: 30-26, 36-24, 41-28, 24-27|
|Pts: McGee 25, Durant 22, Williams 19||Pts: Santos 25, Cabagnot 9, Pingris 9|
|Smart All-Stars 98, Smart Gilas 89|
|Scoring by quarter: 28-16, 27-21, 24-23, 19-29|
|Pts: Bryant 17, McGee 16, Durant 16||Pts: Casio 16, Douthit 14, Lutz 12|
Most Valuable Player race
This how the MVP award was determined:
- Most Valuable Player: Jimmy Alapag (Talk 'N Text)
- Rookie of the Year: Rabeh Al-Hussaini (Petron Blaze)
- First Mythical Team:
- Second Mythical Team:
- All-Defensive Team:
- Most Improved Player: Jayson Castro (Talk 'N Text)
- Sportsmanship Award: Sonny Thoss (Alaska)
Awards given by the PBA Press Corps
- Coach of the Year: Chot Reyes (Talk 'N Text)
- Mr. Quality Minutes: Jayson Castro (Talk 'N Text)
- Comeback Player of the Year: Danny Ildefonso (Petron Blaze)
- Executive of the Year: Manny Pangilinan (Talk 'N Text)
- Referee of the Year: Jimmy Mariano
- Player of the Week Order of Merit: Mark Caguioa (Barangay Ginebra)
- All-Rookie Team
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||64||47||17||.734||Champions|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||58||34||24||.586||Finalist|
|Petron Blaze Boosters/San Miguel Beermen||56||32||24||.571||Champions|
|B-Meg Llamados/B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados||44||20||24||.455||Semifinalist|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||40||16||24||.400||Semifinalist|
|Coca-Cola Tigers||31||9||22||.290||Elimination round|
|Barako Bull Energy Boosters||14||3||11||.214||Elimination round|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||31||25||6||.806|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||31||20||11||.645|
|Petron Blaze Boosters/San Miguel Beermen||31||18||13||.581|
|B-Meg Llamados/B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados||31||15||16||.484|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||31||13||18||.419|
|Barako Bull Energy Boosters||14||3||11||.214|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||33||22||11||.667|
|Petron Blaze Boosters/San Miguel Beermen||25||14||11||.560|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||27||14||13||.519|
|B-Meg Llamados/B-Meg Derby Ace Llamados||13||5||8||.385|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||9||3||6||.333|
|Powerade Tigers/Coca-Cola Tigers||0||0||0||NA|
|Barako Bull Energy Boosters||0||0||0||NA|
- Meralco-Ginebra game to open PBA’s 36th season, GMANews.TV, August 24, 2010.
- 3-Conference Format: A Grand Slam, Patricia Bermudez-Hizon, ManilaStandardToday.com, September 17, 2010
- 3-conference format, Meralco entry get PBA approval, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV, August 10, 2010
- PBA welcomes applications for 2010 Draft, abs-cbnNEWS.com
- SMART GILAS PLAYERS JOIN PBA DRAFT POOL PBA.ph
- Air21, RoS agree on post-season trade; Marcy, Doug switch teams, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV, August 8, 2010
- PBA: Returning Meralco gets promising Belga in 3-team trade, GMANews.TV, August 20, 2010.
- Meralco taps Cardona as its PBA franchise player, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV, August 20, 2010.
- Ferriols, Bugia boost Painters’ frontline, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV, August 31, 2010.
- SMB, B-MEG SWAP COURT GENERALS; MAMARIL BACK WITH THE KINGS, PBA.ph, September 2, 2010.
- Rain or Shine beefs up frontline, Powerade eyes future, PBA.ph, September 16, 2010.
- Taulava joins Meralco in 5-player, 3-team trade, GMANews.TV, September 22, 2010.
- ASI MAKES NEWCOMER MERALCO SERIOUS CONTENDER, PBA.ph, September 24, 2010
- Alvarez on his 7th Team, PBA.ph, September 16, 2010
- PBA 101: Rule changes, PBA.ph, October 5, 2010.
- Barrios leaves pro league in good health, Nelson Beltran, Philippine Star, August 21, 2010
- PBA welcomes MVP’s Meralco, Waylon Galvez, Manila Bulletin, August 10, 2010
- Coca-Cola drops PBA brand name for Powerade, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV
- Alaska Aces: We're going to Disneyland, THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco, (The Philippine Star), September 4, 2010.
- PBA players loaned to RP-Smart Gilas set Asiad goal, October 18, 2010, GMANews.tv
- Last-minute changes likely for Pinoy cagers, GMANews.TV, September 23, 2010
- With PBL's future uncertain, PBA pushes for D-League, GMANews.TV, January 5, 2011
- OWNERS OKAY SMART GILAS FOR 2ND CONF, TELECAST STAYS ON VHF, D-LEAGUE A GO, PBA.ph, January 25, 2011
- PBA approves Barako leave, Gilas' entry, Rey Joble, GMANews.tv, January 25, 2011
- Dispersal Draft: SMB picks Tugade, B-Meg Derby Ace taps Escobal, GMA News Online, February 7, 2011
- DISPERSAL DRAFT Tugade, Escobal get new lease on PBA life, by June Navarro, Philippine Daily Inquirer, February 9, 2011
- Solar finds a partner for airing of PBA games by Rey Joble, GMA News Online, February 9, 2011
- PBA GIVES NOD ON GAME TELECAST ON STUDIO 23, PBA.ph, February 8, 2011
- PBA agrees to airing its games on Studio 23, Musong R. Castillo, Philippine Daily Inquirer, February 8, 2011
- PBA Developmental League draws 14 teams, 3 PBL squads jump ship, Rey Joble, GMA News Online, February 16, 2011
- Without six teams, no PBL — for now, GMA News Online, February 16, 2011
- Almost, but not quite: No Phoenix Petroleum in pro league — for now, by Rey Joble, GMA News Online, March 29, 2011
- PBA Blockbuster: Sol to Meralco, Jay-R to Air21, Ronjay to Rain or Shine, Rey Joble, GMANews.tv, January 20, 2011.
- Quiñahan, not Aquino, will shore up Tigers’ shallow frontline, Rey Joble, GMANews.tv, January 28, 2011
- PBA trade: Quiñahan in exchange for 2 future picks approved, by Rey Joble, GMANews.tv, January 31, 2011
- Bolts acquire Hugnatan in three-player trade, Rey Joble, GMA News Online, February 15, 2011.
- Trade approved: SMB gets wish of securing Air21's top rookies, Rey Joble, GMA News Online, March 2, 2011
- NEW 4-FOR-3 SMB-AIR21 DEAL APPROVED, PBA.ph, March 2, 2011
- Top rookies for PBA veteran players: Salud turns down trade offer by Rey Joble, GMA News Online, February 28, 2011
- Veteran slotman Aquino headed back to Meralco, Rey Joble, GMA News Online, February 14, 2011
- Guiao leaves Express, joins Elasto Painters, Rey Joble, GMANews.tv, January 10, 2011.
- Express tap former coach as Guiao's successor, Rey Joble, GMANews.tv, January 19, 2011.
- EVERYBODY’S GOING GAGA IN BORA AS PBA ALL-STAR WEEKEND NEARS, PBA.ph
- PBA commissioner to approve Gonzales-Espiritu trade, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV, May 18, 2011
- PBA commissioner Salud gives Alaska 2 more picks in Devance-Reyes trade, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV, May 30, 2011
- PBA commissioner Salud approves Devance trade to Derby Ace Llamados, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV, June 3, 2011
- Gin Kings' Willie Miller to Air 21 for Niño Cañaleta, draft pick, GMA News Online, July 18, 2011
- From SMB to Petron: Beermen to carry new name in 3rd conference, Rey Joble, GMANews.TV
- New import Hinson sparks B-MEG's upset win over Texters, GMA News Online, July 1, 2011
- Texters crush Gin Kings for 1-1 slate in PBA's Dubai swing, GMA News Online, July 2, 2011
- Talk ‘N Text disaster in Dubai, by Ronnie Nathanielz, Philippine Daily Inquirer, July 5, 2011
- Dubai Disaster: Angry Texters slam organizer, PBA, Reynaldo Belen, InterAksyon.com, July 4, 2011
- PBA has new broadcast partner for 37th season, GMA News Online, July 8, 2011
- Local cagers starstruck in game against NBA stars, GMA News Online, July 23, 2011
- NBA STARS SIMPLY WOW PINOY CAGE FANS, PBA.ph
- Henson, Quinito (August 18, 2011). "Alapag deserves MVP award". Philippine Star. Retrieved 2011-08-18.