2010 All Stars match
|2010All Stars Game|
|Date||13 February 2010|
|Location||Gold Coast, QLD, Australia|
|Preston Campbell Medal||Johnathan Thurston|
|Referees||Ashley Klein, Shayne Hayne, Gavin Badger, Luke Phillips|
The 2010 All Stars Match was the first time the event was held. The match was a pre season game between representative teams, Indigenous Australians versus the best in the National Rugby League and took place at the Gold Coast's Skilled Park on 13 February 2010. The Indigenous team featured 20 players of aboriginal descent chosen by public votes. Preston Campbell was selected automatically as Indigenous captain. The NRL All Stars featured one player from each of the 16 NRL teams as well as the Australian and New Zealand captains and deputy captains. Along with other rule changes exclusive to the match, the game trialled a new "Double Try" rule where a team can choose to swap a conversion attempt for a second try attempt.
|Position||NRL ALL STARS|
|Preston Campbell (c)||Fullback||Jarryd Hayne|
|Nathan Merritt||Wing||Israel Folau|
|Ty Williams9||Centre||Michael Jennings|
|Beau Champion6||Centre||Matt Cooper|
|Wendell Sailor||Wing||Manu Vatuvei|
|Scott Prince||Five-Eighth||Darren Lockyer (c)|
|Johnathan Thurston||Halfback||Benji Marshall|
|George Rose||Prop||Adam Blair|
|Ben Jones7||Hooker||Cameron Smith|
|Carl Webb||Prop||Sam Burgess2|
|Cory Paterson||2nd Row||Anthony Watmough|
|Tom Learoyd-Lahrs||2nd Row||David Shillington4|
|Sam Thaiday||Lock||Luke O'Donnell|
|Jamie Soward||Interchange||Kurt Gidley|
|Yileen Gordon||Interchange||Anthony Tupou|
|Greg Bird5||Interchange||Nate Myles|
|Jharal Yow Yeh||Interchange||Robbie Farah3|
|Travis Waddell||Interchange||Luke Bailey|
|Joel Thompson||Interchange||Josh Morris|
|Blake Ferguson1||Interchange||Brett Finch8|
|Neil Henry||Coach||Wayne Bennett|
1 - Justin Hodges was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Blake Ferguson).
2 - David Taylor was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Sam Burgess) .
3 - Gareth Ellis was originally selected but withdrew due to personal reasons (replaced by Robbie Farah).
4 - Alan Tongue was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by David Shillington).
5 - Daine Laurie was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Greg Bird).
6 - Greg Inglis was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Beau Champion).
7 - PJ Marsh was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Ben Jones).
8 - Billy Slater was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Brett Finch).
9 - Jamal Idris was originally selected but withdrew due to injury (replaced by Ty Williams).
13 February 2010, 8:00pm
|NRL All Stars||12 – 16||Indigenous All Stars|
Josh Morris 54' 1
Benji Marshall 59' 1
Michael Jennings 61' 1
1 3' Wendell Sailor
1 32' Ben Jones
1 74' Jamie Soward
2/2 34', 76' Johnathan Thurston
NRL All Stars
The following four players were automatically selected to the All Stars team due their captain or vice-captain roles for their Australian or New Zealand team.
- Australian captain (Broncos): Darren Lockyer (captain)
- Australian vice-captain (Storm): Cameron Smith
- New Zealand captain (Tigers): Benji Marshall
- New Zealand vice-captain (Storm): Adam Blair
Selected by public vote
The following were selected by the public through the official NRL website. Voters were required to select one forward-position player and one back-position player from all sixteen teams. The most voted player from their respected position of each team were selected to the All Stars team.
- Broncos – Israel Folau
- Bulldogs – Josh Morris
- Cowboys – Luke O'Donnell
- Dragons – Matt Cooper
- Eels – Jarryd Hayne
- Knights – Kurt Gidley
- Panthers – Michael Jennings
- Rabbitohs – David Taylor
- Raiders – Alan Tongue
- Roosters – Nate Myles
- Sea Eagles – Anthony Watmough
- Sharks – Anthony Tupou
- Storm – Billy Slater
- Tigers – Gareth Ellis
- Titans – Luke Bailey
- Warriors – Manu Vatuvei
The following players were called up due to injuries or other causes to the initial squad. The second highest voted player for their forward or back positions of their team were called to the squad.
- Rabbitohs – David Taylor replaced by Sam Burgess.
- Tigers – Gareth Ellis replaced by Robbie Farah.
- Raiders – Alan Tongue replaced by David Shillington
- Storm – Billy Slater replaced by Brett Finch
Indigenous All Stars Squad
ARL Indigenous Council selected players
Selected by public vote
- Broncos – Justin Hodges
- Broncos – PJ Marsh
- Broncos – Sam Thaiday
- Bulldogs – Jamal Idris
- Bulldogs –Yileen Gordon
- Cowboys – Carl Webb
- Cowboys – Johnathan Thurston
- Dragons – Jamie Soward
- Knights – Cory Paterson
- Panthers – Daine Laurie
- Rabbitohs – Nathan Merritt
- Raiders – Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
- Sea Eagles – George Rose
- Storm – Greg Inglis
- Titans – Scott Prince
- Wendell Sailor (retired)
The following players were called up due to injuries to the initial squad.
- Broncos – Justin Hodges replaced by Sharks – Blake Ferguson
- Panthers – Daine Laurie replaced by Titans – Greg Bird
- Storm – Greg Inglis replaced by Rabbitohs – Beau Champion
- Broncos – PJ Marsh replaced by Roosters – Ben Jones
- Bulldogs – Jamal Idris replaced by Cowboys – Ty Williams
For the Indigenous All Stars, Justin Hodges who had ruptured his Achilles heel at Broncos training, was replaced by Blake Ferguson, Daine Laurie injured himself and was replaced by Greg Bird and Greg Inglis had a hip injury and was replaced by Beau Champion. PJ Marsh withdrew due to back spasms and was replaced by Ben Jones. Jamal Idris injured himself and was replaced by Ty Williams.
In the NRL All Stars, David Taylor injured his ankle at training and was replaced by Sam Burgess, Gareth Ellis was sent home on compassionate grounds because of the birth of his first child and was replaced by Robbie Farah and Alan Tongue injured himself and was replaced by David Shillington. Billy Slater withdrew due to an ankle injury and was replaced by Brett Finch.
- "NRL All Stars v Indigenous All Stars". Australian Rugby League. Archived from the original on 2010-06-16. Retrieved 16 June 2010.
- "2010 NRL All Stars Game". National Rugby League. 10 October 2009. Archived from the original on 2010-06-16. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- "Double try on offer at All Stars game". Gold Coast Mail. AAP. 24 November 2009. Archived from the original on 2010-06-16. Retrieved 27 January 2010.
- Hooper, James (7 February 2010). "Inglis hangs ten, then wipes out". The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, New South Wales, Australia). Archived from the original on 2010-06-16. Retrieved 7 February 2010.
- "Red-head Ben Jones gets Indigenous All Stars start". Daily Telegraph. 10 February 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-06-16. Retrieved 16 June 2010.
- "Slater definitely out of All Stars game". Daily Telegraph. 11 February 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-06-16. Retrieved 16 June 2010.