2010 Brazilian Grand Prix
|2010 Brazilian Grand Prix|
|Race 18 of 19 in the 2010 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||November 7, 2010|
|Official name||Formula 1 Grande Prêmio Petrobras do Brasil 2010|
|Location||Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo, Brazil|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.309 km (2.677 mi)|
|Distance||71 laps, 305.909 km (190.083 mi)|
25 °C (77 °F)
|Time||1:13.851 on lap 66|
The 2010 Brazilian Grand Prix (formally the Formula 1 Grande Prêmio Petrobras do Brasil 2010) was the eighteenth round of the 2010 Formula One season. It was held in Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo, Brazil on 7 November 2010.
Sebastian Vettel won the race, leading home a 1–2 for Red Bull Racing, which was enough to give the team the Constructors' Championship for the first time. Mark Webber's second place enabled him to maintain second in the Drivers' Championship, and the margin to championship leader Fernando Alonso was reduced to eight points with Alonso's third place. Lewis Hamilton finished fourth – and set fastest lap of the race – to maintain a mathematical chance of winning the championship, dropping nine points behind third-placed Vettel and 24 behind Alonso.
Sebastian Vettel set the fastest time in both Friday practice sessions followed by his teammate Mark Webber. Robert Kubica was fastest in the Saturday session.
With a track drying and no rain falling, the first part of qualifying eliminated the new teams and Adrian Sutil. The second part saw a last minute challenge between local hero Felipe Massa and reigning world champion Jenson Button, the former advancing to the final session. The top ten qualifiers saw a track drying so much that after a round of laps in intermediate tyres and times up to 1:16's, the teams opted for slick tyres. This tyre gamble proved successful for Nico Hülkenberg, who took advantage of the situation and qualified over a second ahead of the next quickest cars, taking his first pole position. This also gave the Williams team their first pole since Nick Heidfeld qualified on pole at the 2005 European Grand Prix, and the first pole for Cosworth since the 1999 French Grand Prix.
|Pos||No||Driver||Constructor||Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Grid|
|2||5||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:19.160||1:18.691||1:15.519||2|
|3||6||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1:19.025||1:18.516||1:15.637||3|
|12||23||Kamui Kobayashi||BMW Sauber-Ferrari||1:19.741||1:19.385||12|
|14||17||Jaime Alguersuari||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:20.158||1:19.581||14|
|15||16||Sébastien Buemi||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:20.096||1:19.847||191|
|16||22||Nick Heidfeld||BMW Sauber-Ferrari||1:20.174||1:19.899||15|
|17||15||Vitantonio Liuzzi||Force India-Mercedes||1:20.592||1:20.357||16|
|18||14||Adrian Sutil||Force India-Mercedes||1:20.830||222|
|22||25||Lucas di Grassi||Virgin-Cosworth||1:22.810||21|
- ^ – Sébastien Buemi was given a five-place grid penalty for causing an avoidable accident with Timo Glock at the Korean Grand Prix.
- ^ – Adrian Sutil was given a five-place grid penalty for causing an avoidable accident with Kamui Kobayashi at the Korean Grand Prix.
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- Bold text indicates competitors who still had a theoretical chance of becoming World Champion.
- "Weather History for Sao Paulo, Brazil". Weather Underground. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Results: Formula 1 Grande Prêmio do Brasil 2010". Formula1.com. Archived from the original on 27 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-11-08.
- "World Motor Sport Council, 11/12/2009". fia.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 11 December 2009. Archived from the original on 22 November 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- Benson, Andrew (7 November 2010). "Sebastian Vettel wins in Brazil to keep title race alive". BBC Sport. Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo: BBC. Archived from the original on 8 November 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "FORMULA 1 GRANDE PRÊMIO PETROBRAS DO BRASIL 2010 - Qualifying Results". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 26 October 2014. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "Sutil and Buemi to drop five places on Brazil grid". formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 24 October 2010. Archived from the original on 27 October 2010. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- "FORMULA 1 GRANDE PRÊMIO PETROBRAS DO BRASIL 2010 - Race Results". formula1.com. Archived from the original on 17 January 2015. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2010 Brazilian Grand Prix.|
|Wikinews has related news: Sebastian Vettel wins 2010 Brazilian Grand Prix, Red Bull secured Constructors' Championship|
2010 Korean Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2010 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
2009 Brazilian Grand Prix
|Brazilian Grand Prix||Next race:|
2011 Brazilian Grand Prix