2010 Honda Indy Edmonton
|11th round of the 2010 IndyCar Series season|
|Date||July 25, 2010|
|Official name||Honda Indy Edmonton|
|Location||Edmonton City Centre Airport|
|Course||Temporary street circuit
1.973 mi / 3.154 km
|Distance||95 laps, 187.435 mi / 299.630 km|
|Driver||Will Power||Team Penske|
|Driver||Scott Dixon||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|Time||1:02.1277 (on lap 88 of 95)|
|First||Scott Dixon||Chip Ganassi Racing|
|Second||Will Power||Team Penske|
|Third||Dario Franchitti||Chip Ganassi Racing|
The 2010 Honda Indy Edmonton was the third running of the Edmonton Indy and the eleventh round of the 2010 IndyCar Series season. It took place on Sunday, July 25, 2010. The race contested over 95 laps at the 1.973-mile (3.175 km) Edmonton City Centre Airport in Edmonton, Alberta.
- The finish proved to be quite controversial, as Hélio Castroneves finished first but was not awarded the victory. The bulk of the race was quite straightforward, as Will Power dominated from the pole, with his teammates and the Ganassi duo filling the Top 5. On the final pit stops, Castroneves took the lead from Power by using the Firestone "reds" (the option tyre), but the field was brought back together after rookie Simona de Silvestro, who qualified and ran in the Top 10, apparently ran out of fuel. On the final restart at Lap 93, Castroneves led teammate Will Power to the green flag, staying on the inside line. Power swept to the outside in Turn 1, but could not find the grip to take the lead. Third placed Scott Dixon passed Power in Turn 2. Castroneves appeared set for victory, but was black-flagged for alleged blocking on the restart. Castroneves did not heed the black flag and was demoted to 10th. Understandably upset, he leapt from his car and yelled in anger at the flagman (looking for an explanation) and grabbing Head of Security Charles Burns as he sought an answer. These actions prompted a $60,000 fine from the Indy Racing League for unsportsmanlike conduct. Castroneves later apologised for his actions, but still does not agree with the black flag.
- "Honda Indy Edmonton: Qualifying Round 1 – Group 1" (PDF). IndyCar Series. Indy Racing League. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- "Honda Indy Edmonton: Qualifying Round 1 – Group 2" (PDF). IndyCar Series. Indy Racing League. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- "Honda Indy Edmonton: Qualifying – Top 12" (PDF). IndyCar Series. Indy Racing League. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- "Honda Indy Edmonton: Qualifying – Fast 6" (PDF). IndyCar Series. Indy Racing League. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- Dixon takes controversial win in Edmonton - Motorsport.com
- Series announce Castroneves penalty - Motorsport.com
2010 Honda Indy Toronto
2010 Honda Indy 200
2009 Rexall Edmonton Indy
|2010 Honda Indy Edmonton||Next race:
2011 Edmonton Indy