2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards
|2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards|
|Date||November 28, 2010|
|Venue||The Venetian Macao, Macau, China|
|Most awards||2NE1 (4)|
|Most nominations||2NE1 (6)|
|Runtime||around 190 minutes|
The ceremony was marred with criticism and was the first Mnet Asian Music Awards to occur outside of South Korea. 2NE1 took home four awards, the most of the night, including Artist of the Year and Album of the Year. 2PM took home three including the Shilla Duty Free Asian Wave Special Award, as well as rookie group Miss A won Song of the Year for "Bad Girl Good Girl". In total, there were thirty two awards, including awards not given out during broadcast.
The event marked the twelfth of the annual music awards. With its slogan "One Asia", MAMA was broadcast live in China, Japan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia through various channels, as well as in the USA and Canada.
Artists Taeyang, DJ Doc, Gummy, Rain, Hot Potato, Far East Movement, Perfume, I Me, and Chemistry all won awards during the televised broadcast. A VTR of international artists congratulating the event was also shown including Lam Tun, Ho Gu Hua, Hong Ying, Pam Tan, Keri Hilson, and will.i.am. CNBLUE, 2AM, Jo Kwon, Ga-In who also won awards, however, were not broadcast due to lack of attendance.
Winners and nominees
- Best New Asian Artist Award: I Me - "Aiayiya"
- Asian Pop Artist: Perfume - "Chocolate Disco"
- Best Asian Artist: Jason Zhang - "It's Love"
- Best R&B Asian Artist: Chemistry - "Pieces Of Dream"
- The Shilla Duty Free Asian Wave Award: 2PM — "I'll Be Back"
- Choreographer Award: Kim Hwa-young
- Producer Award: Psy
- Adult Music Award: Tae Jin-ah
- Stylist Award: Yang Seung-ho
- Performance Award: Jisan Valley Rock Festival
Artist(s) with multiple wins
The following artist(s) received two or more wins (excluding the special awards):
Artist(s) with multiple nominations
The following artist(s) received more than two nominations:
Presenters and performers
|2NE1||Presenters of the award for Best New Female Artist|
|Miss Korea's Jung So-ra, Chang Hyung-jin, Ha Yun-jong||Presenters of the award for Best Dance Performance by a Male Group|
|Eugene||Presenter of the award for Best New Asian Artist Award|
|Woo Man-so||Presenter of the award for Best Digital Single|
|John Park, Jang Jae-in, Kang Seung-Yoon||Introduced presenter Zhang Jie|
|Son Ho (손호영) and Kim Jung-min (김정민)||Presenters of the award for Asian Pop Artist|
|Kim Jongju and Choo Hyunhee||Presenters of the award for Best Female Group|
|Miss A||Introduced presenters I Me and Perfume|
|Jo Yeo-jeong||Presenter of the award for Best Male Solo Artist|
|Yoon Jong-shin and Seo Hyo-rim||Presenters of the award for Best Rap Performance|
|Song Joong-ki||Presenter of the award for Best Solo Vocal Performance|
|Presenter of the award for Best Asian Artist|
|Oh Ji-ho and So Yoo-jin||Presenters of the award for Best Male Group|
|Presenters of the award for Best Solo Dance Performance|
|UV||Presenters of the award for Best Band Performance|
|Kim Dong-wook||Presenter of the award for Best Dance Performance by a Female Group|
|Lam Tun, Ho Gu Hua, Hong Ying, Pam Tan, Keri Hilson, will.i.am||VTR Greetings|
|Ok Taecyeon, Nichkhun, Song Jong-min||Presenters of the award for Best International Artist|
|Yoon Jong-shin||Introduced performer Huh Gak|
|Kim Kang-woo||Presenter of the award for Best R&B Asian Artist|
|Hanni and Shilla Duty Free CEO||Presenters of the award for The Shilla Duty Free Asian Wave Award|
|Jun Jeong Myeong and Kim Hyun Jung||Presenters of the award for Best Music Video|
|Joo Jin-mo||Presenter of the award for Artist of the Year|
|Yoon Eun-hye||Presenter of the award for Album of the Year|
|Hong Jongmin and Kim Jung-eun||Presenters of the award for Song of the Year|
|Tiger JK, Styliztik Jones, Zeebra, Roscoe Umali, DJ Jhig + Tasha||"Jet Pack", "Monster"|
|Miss A||"Bad Girl Good Girl", "Breathe"||Best New Female Artist awardee|
|Superstar K2's John Park, Jang Jae-in and Kang Seung-Yoon||"Without You", "Sick Enough to Die", "Scatter", "You and I", "Then Then Then"||Best Digital Single nominee songs|
|Jason Zhang||"It's Love"|
|2PM||"Again & Again", "I Hate You", "Without You", "Tired of Waiting", "Only U", "Heartbeat", "I'll Be Back"|
|I Me, Perfume||"Aiayiya", "Nee", "Chocolate Disco"|
|DJ DOC||"Bounce With Me", "Shake It"||Performed upon receiving the Best Rap Performance award|
|Gummy ft. Jason Zhang||"Because of You", "The Moon Represents My Heart"|
|2NE1||"Clap Your Hands", "Follow Me", "Can't Nobody"|
|Huh Gak||"This Is the Moment"|
|Taeyang, T.O.P, G-Dragon||"Break Down", "I Need A Girl", "Turn It Up", "Knock Out", "Hallelujah"|
|Chemistry||"A Better Tomorrow", "Pieces Of Dream"|
|Far East Movement||"Girls On The Dance Floor", "Like a G6"||Best International Artist awardee|
|Wonder Girls||"So Hot", "2 Different Tears", "Nobody"|
SM Entertainment boycott
SM Entertainment, one of the largest Korean music agencies, boycotted the 2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards, as they did in 2009. The show was under fire for fairness and employing a "no show, no award" policy where the winner must attend the ceremonies.
In addition, Mnet came under criticism because of the date and location of the awards. They were the first Mnet Asian Music Awards to take place outside of South Korea. They also aired on a Sunday, which means performers had to choose between SBS' The Music Trend show or the awards ceremony.
- "2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards". Music On! TV. Music On! TV Inc. January 1, 2011. Retrieved November 15, 2011.
- Hicap, Jonathan M. (November 29, 2010). "2NE1 wins MAMA Artist, Album of the Year". Manila Bulletin. Manila Bulletin Publishing. Retrieved February 12, 2011.
- "MKMF goes into history" Asiae. 20 October 2009. Retrieved 2012-04-17
- "[2010MAMA] part 1". MAMA. Retrieved 2015-01-14.
- Hicap, Jonathan M. (October 29, 2010). "Controversial Mnet Asian Music Awards bares nominees". Manila Bulletin. Manila Bulletin Publishing. Retrieved February 12, 2011.
- "MAMA "보아-女가수상, 씨엔블루-男신인상 등 추후 전달"". tvdaily.mk.co.kr (in Korean). November 29, 2010. Archived from the original on November 13, 2013. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "[2010MAMA] Part 2". MAMA. Retrieved 2015-01-14.
- "[2010MAMA] 3rd Part". MAMA. Retrieved 2015-01-14.
- Wee, Geun-woo (November 29, 2010). "2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA): Live in Macao". 10Asia. 10Asia. Retrieved February 12, 2011.
- Hicap, Jonathan M. (November 17, 2010). "Rain and other K-pop singers won't attend Mnet music awards". Manila Bulletin. Manila Bulletin Publishing. Retrieved February 12, 2011.
- Mnet Asian Music Awards official website