2010 Salta earthquake
|UTC time||2010-02-27 15:45:36|
|Local date||February 27, 2010|
|Local time||12:45:36 ART|
|Depth||9.5 miles (15.3 km)|
|Areas affected||Salta, Argentina|
|Max. intensity||VII (Very strong)|
The 2010 Salta earthquake occurred on February 27 at 12:45:36 local time in Salta Province, Argentina and had a magnitude of 6.3. It occurred less than 12 hours after the far larger magnitude 8.8 Chile earthquake, which killed 525 people. It was initially thought to be an aftershock of the Chile earthquake, but scientists later established that the earthquakes were unrelated. The epicenter was about 15 miles north of the city of Salta. The quake killed two people, and injured dozens (possibly up to 100 people).
Damage and casualties
The damage was not great, but small buildings and slums were easily destroyed. The earthquake received little regional coverage, largely because the catastrophe in Chile, occurring a few hours earlier, garnered the most attention. Much of the destruction happened in the towns of Campo Quijano and La Merced, where several adobe houses collapsed and numerous others were left uninhabitable.
- "Powerful 6.3 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Argentina". Cleveland Leader. 2010-02-27. Archived from the original on 7 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- Barrionuevo, Alexei; Robbins, Liz (2010-02-27). "1.5 Million Displaced After Chile Quake". The New York Times. The New York Times article mentions the Salta earthquake in its 30th paragraph; search for Salta. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "Two people dead in an earthquake registered in Salta". Signs of the Times. 2010-02-27. Archived from the original on 18 June 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "Two killed in Argentina earthquake". The Sydney Morning Herald. 2010-02-27. Archived from the original on 4 May 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-21.
- "Deux morts dans un séisme en Argentine". 7sur7 (Belgium). 2010-02-27. Retrieved 2010-05-28.
- "Séisme au Chili: Deux morts dans le nord de l'Argentine". RTBF (Belgium). 2010-02-28. Retrieved 2010-05-28.[permanent dead link]
- "Powerful quake strikes Argentina". NBC news. 2010-02-27. Retrieved 2010-05-21.