2010 TVB monopoly case
For a long time ATV, the main free over-the-air rival station, have been associated as a pro-Beijing station. This has allowed TVB to gain a substantial lead in ratings and market share. The 2009 Hong Kong Broadcasting Authority forum however, led to complaints about TVB also practicing self-censorship. Since then, major issues of monopoly have come up.
In a 2009 press conference HKRIA announced that they would increase royalty tax to TVB exceeding HK$10 million for music programs. TVB then banned singers from EMI Group, Sony Music, Universal Music and Warner Music Group from participating on the 2009 Jade Solid Gold Best Ten Music Awards Presentation show.
Case & complaints
- TVB imposed unwritten restrictions on artists and singers that deprived ATV an opportunity to hire artists. According to Sing Tao Daily, in the past no music company was willing to use contracts (between TVB and the artists) as evidence against TVB. For example, if a HK artist was interviewed by competing station like Cable TV Hong Kong, they were forced to speak Mandarin. This gave TVB an advantage as HK is mostly a Cantonese-speaking territory.
- Some of the best RTHK productions were broadcast exclusively on TVB only.
- Many complaints were brought up about singers and artists having to sign contracts to be restricted to TVB. Some cannot appear in other competing stations at all.
Some bands like Mr have come out and responded it was better to be doing interviews in Cantonese because their Mandarin skill was not so good. Other artists like Kelly Chen said it would benefit all if music videos could be broadcast on all stations. Jacky Cheung said TVB never had enough time available for music shows. In the past he could appear on Jade Solid Gold and sing for 3 minutes, but now he is limited to 1 minute. He further added that "TVB should just support the people they sign. Currently they have total control, and when they don't get what they want, they talk about whom to kill off." Artists who have tried to avoid legal disputes with TVB would simply turn down invitations to appear on rival stations.
- Channelnewsasia.com. "Channelnewsasia.com." Media freedom in Hong Kong safeguarded but journalists worry about future. Retrieved on 2010-02-10.
- The Standard HK. "The Standard.com." Probe launched into TVB `monopoly' row. Retrieved on 2010-02-10.
- HKATVnews.com. "HKATVnews.com." 亞視向廣管局投訴無綫涉嫌壟斷料快有結果. Retrieved on 2010-02-10.
- On.cc. "Orientaldaily.on.cc." HKRIA圖破無綫壟斷 Mr.叫好. Retrieved on 2010-02-10.
- Singtao.ca. "Singtao.ca." 廣管局要無綫交資料. Retrieved on 2010-02-10.
- Yahoo.com. "Yahoo.com." 不滿郁吓就封殺 盼打破壟斷 學友炮轟無綫付出少要求多. Retrieved on 2010-02-10.