2010 VFL season
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
(10th minor premiership)
|Leading goalkicker||Matthew Little (80)|
|J. J. Liston Trophy||Steve Clifton
This season featured the addition of the Queensland-based Gold Coast Football Club to the league, the first new club in the VFL since Tasmania entered in 2001. Gold Coast's participation in the VFL was as part of the club's preparation for its entry into the Australian Football League in 2011: the club had played one season of under-18s football in the TAC Cup in 2009, then was to play one season of senior football in the VFL in 2010 before its AFL senior debut.
The VFL continued to serve as both the top state-level football league in Victoria, and as a reserves competition for Victorian-based clubs in the Australian Football League, as had been the case since 2000. The affiliation agreements between VFL and AFL clubs were unchanged from 2009.
|2||North Ballarat (P)||18||15||3||0||1650||1260||130.95||60|
|5||Box Hill Hawks||18||11||7||0||1663||1531||108.62||44|
|Key: P = Played, W = Won, L = Lost, D = Drawn, PF = Points For, PA = Points Against, (P) = Premiers||Source|
|Qualifying / Elimination finals||Semi-finals||Preliminary finals||Grand final|
|QF1: Aug 28, Box Hill City Oval|
|4||Port Melbourne||10.11 (71)||SF1: 5 Sep, TEAC Oval|
|Port Melbourne||12.17 (89)|
|EF1: 29 Aug, Box Hill City Oval||Box Hill Hawks||14.11 (95)||PF1: 11 Sep, Box Hill City Oval|
|5||Box Hill Hawks||20.16 (136)||Williamstown||11.12 (78)|
|8||Bendigo Bombers||10.11 (71)||Northern Bullants||16.8 (104)||GF: 19 Sep, Etihad Stadium|
|North Ballarat||20.13 (133)|
|EF2: 28 Aug, TEAC Oval||PF2: 12 Sep, Box Hill City Oval||Northern Bullants||13.8 (86)|
|6||Northern Bullants||15.18 (108)||North Ballarat||16.18 (114)|
|7||Collingwood||8.9 (57)||SF2: 4 Sep, TEAC Oval||Box Hill Hawks||6.17 (53)|
|Casey Scorpions||9.6 (60)|
|QF2: 29 Aug, TEAC Oval||Northern Bullants||10.11 (71)|
|2||North Ballarat||18.8 (116)|
|3||Casey Scorpions||13.6 (84)|
|2010 VFL Grand Final|
|Sunday 19 September
|North Ballarat||def.||Northern Bullants||Etihad Stadium (Crowd: 11,000)|||
|Norm Goss Memorial Medal: Myles Sewell (North Ballarat)
|Hale 3, Jones 3, J. Smith 3, Dinnell 2, Driscoll 2, Feery, Harding, Micallef, Norris, I. Smith, Stephenson, White||Goals||Fisher 4, Ellard 2, Jacobs 2, Iacobucci, McCorkell, Neaves, Thomas, Tuohy|
- The J. J. Liston Trophy was jointly won by Steve Clifton (North Ballarat) and Shane Valenti (Port Melbourne), who each polled 20 votes. Ed Curnow (Box Hill) finished third on 13 votes, despite breaking his leg in Round 13 and missing the remainder of the season.
- The Frosty Miller Medal was won by Matthew Little (Williamstown), who kicked 80 goals for the season.
- The Fothergill-Round Medal was won by Michael Hibberd (Frankston)
- The top three teams after the finals – North Ballarat, Northern Bullants and Williamstown – qualified for the 2011 Foxtel Cup.
- Box Hill won the reserves premiership. Box Hill 17.20 (122) defeated Williamstown 16.9 (105) in the Grand Final, held as a curtain-raiser to the Seniors First Preliminary Final on 11 September.
- For the second consecutive season, Bendigo was not permitted to use its home ground Queen Elizabeth Oval after May due to an unfit surface. The club's remaining home matches were played at either Windy Hill or Strathfieldsaye Oval.
- List of VFA/VFL premiers
- Australian rules football
- Victorian Football League
- Australian Football League
- 2010 AFL season
- Brent Diamond (7 September 2010). "Valenti and Clifton share Liston". The Age. Melbourne, VIC. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Sport details". Herald Sun. Melbourne, VIC. 20 September 2010. p. 68.
- Luke West (16 June 2010). "Bendigo Bombers' chairman slams QEO fiasco". Bendigo Advertiser. Bendigo, VIC. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "2010 VFL Premiership Season". AustralianFootball.com. Retrieved 31 July 2016.