2011–12 CONCACAF Champions League Group Stage
The 2011–12 CONCACAF Champions League Group Stage were played from August to October 2011. The matchdays were August 16–18, August 23–25, September 13–15, September 20–22, September 27–29, and October 18–20, 2011.
The draw for the Preliminary Round and the Group Stage was held on May 18, 2011, at the CONCACAF headquarters in New York City. Teams from the same association (excluding "wildcard" teams which replace a team from another association) may not be drawn with each other.
A total of 16 teams competed, which include 8 automatic qualifiers and 8 winners of the Preliminary Round. The teams were divided into four groups of four, where each team played each other home-and-away in a round-robin format. The top two teams of each group advanced to the Championship Round.
If two teams are tied on points, the following tie-breaking criteria shall be applied, in order, to determine the ranking of teams:
- Greater number of points earned in matches between the teams concerned
- Greater goal difference in matches between the teams concerned
- Greater number of goals scored away from home in matches between the teams concerned
- Reapply first three criteria if two or more teams are still tied
- Greater goal difference in all group matches
- Greater number of goals scored in group matches
- Greater number of goals scored away in all group matches
- Drawing of lots
The schedule of the first two rounds was released on July 28, 2011, by CONCACAF. The remainder of the schedule was announced on August 9, 2011, following the conclusion of the Preliminary Round.
|Los Angeles Galaxy||6||4||0||2||8||4||+4||12|
- Los Angeles Galaxy, Morelia and Alajuelense are ranked by their head-to-head records, as shown below.
|Los Angeles Galaxy||4||2||0||2||5||4||+1||6|
- Note 1: Match originally played on August 24, 2011 (kickoff 20:00), but abandoned at halftime due to lightning, heavy rain, and a tornado warning (FC Dallas was leading 1–0 on a goal by Jackson Gonçalves in the 18th minute). Replayed the next day restarting at 0–0 as tournament regulations required unfinished games be replayed completely.
|Seattle Sounders FC||6||3||1||2||10||7||+3||10|
- Note 2: Match originally to be played on August 23, 2011 (kickoff 22:00), but postponed to the next day due to heavy rain.
- "CCL draw pits Monterrey vs. Comunicaciones". CONCACAF.com. May 18, 2011.
- "CONCACAF Champions League Regulations 2011/2012" (PDF). CONCACAF.com.
- "Galaxy, Alajuelense to open Group Stage August 16". CONCACAF.com. July 28, 2011.
- "Morelia-LA, Rapids-Santos top CCL third round". CONCACAF.com. August 8, 2011.
- "Toronto-Dallas match abandoned due to lightning". CONCACAF.com. August 24, 2011.
- "Deluge postpones Comunicaciones-Herediano". CONCACAF.com. August 23, 2011.
- CONCACAF Champions League official website