2011–12 PBA season
|2011–12 PBA season|
|Duration||October 2, 2011 – August 5, 2012|
|Number of teams||10|
|TV partner(s)||Sports5 (AKTV on IBC)
AksyonTV International (International)
|Top draft pick||JVee Casio|
|Picked by||Powerade Tigers|
|Philippine Cup champions||Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters|
|Commissioner's Cup champions||B-Meg Llamados|
|Runners-up||Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters|
|Governors' Cup champions||Rain or Shine Elasto Painters|
|Season MVP||Mark Caguioa (Barangay Ginebra Kings)|
|Top scorer||Gary David (Powerade Tigers)|
The 2011–12 PBA season is the 37th season of the Philippine Basketball Association. The season was formally opened on October 2, 2011 at the Smart Araneta Coliseum, and finished on August 5, 2012. The season used three-conference format, starting with the Philippine Cup, or the traditional All-Filipino Conference. The mid season Commissioner's Cup featured unlimited height limit for imports. The Governors' Cup became the third and final conference for this season.
- 1 Pre-season events
- 2 Opening ceremonies
- 3 2011–12 Philippine Cup
- 4 2012 Blue vs. Green Dream Game
- 5 2012 Commissioner's Cup
- 6 2012 Governors' Cup
- 7 Individual awards
- 8 Cumulative standings
- 9 References
- 10 External links
- Rain or Shine traded Doug Kramer and Josh Vanlandingham to Powerade for JR Quiñahan, Norman Gonzales and Powerade's 2013 and 2014 second round picks.
- Barako Bull Energy, B-Meg Llamados, and Shopinas.com Clickers involved a three-way deal. Shopinas.com acquired Elmer Espiritu from Barako Bull and Brian Ilad from B-Meg, B-Meg received 5th pick overall Mark Barroca from Shopinas.com, and Barako Bull acquired Don Allado and future second round picks from B-Meg.
- The PBA board approved the sale of the Barako Bull Energy Boosters team franchise from Photokina Marketing to the Linaheim Corporate Services, owners of the Air21 Express. The team will now be known as the Shopinas.com Clickers.
- The Air21 Express will be renamed as Barako Bull Energy starting this season. The name change occurred after the Lina Group bought 49 percent stake of Energy Food and Drinks Inc., a subsidiary of Photokina Marketing and the exclusive distributor of Red Bull Energy Drink products in the Philippines. The "Energy Boosters" moniker will be dropped and instead the team will be known as "Energy", since there will be a conflict in using the "Boosters" moniker with the Petron Blaze Boosters.
- The PBA board approved the 20% salary cap increase and the standardization of game bonuses on September 8. The player salary cap was increased from P350,000 to P420,000. The proposals were approved at the heels of an outburst by Alaska Aces owner Fred Uytengsu during the press conference announcing Tim Cone's resignation as head coach of Alaska. Uytengsu commented that the league is not a level playing field, with some teams paying their players more than the monthly amount set by the PBA.
- Barako Bull Energy (formerly Air21 Express) hired Junel Baculi as head coach, who also was the head coach of the Barako Bull franchise that disbanded in 2010. Baculi will be replacing Bong Ramos, who will slide down as assistant coach.
- On August 26, the Barangay Ginebra Kings appointed assistant coach Siot Tanquincen as co-head coach of the team, together with Jong Uichico.
- On September 1, Alaska Aces coach Tim Cone requested to be released from his contract, which is set to expire in 2013. Assistant Joel Banal will take over as head coach.
- Two weeks after resigning as head coach of the Alaska Aces, Tim Cone was appointed as the new head coach of the B-Meg Llamados. Richard del Rosario, who was appointed as acting head coach in August  was demoted to assistant coach along with former B-meg head coach Jorge Gallent. Gallent later was reassigned as assistant coach of Petron Blaze.
The muses for the participating teams are as follows:
2011–12 Philippine Cup
– clinched quarterfinals with twice-to-beat advantage, – clinched outright quarterfinals, – clinched quarterfinals with twice-to-win disadvantage, – eliminated
|1||y – B-Meg Llamados||10||4||.714||—||+8|
|2||y – Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||10||4||.714||—||−8|
|3||x – Petron Blaze Boosters||9||5||.643||1||+8|
|4||x – Barangay Ginebra Kings||9||5||.643||1||+1|
|5||x – Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||9||5||.643||1||−9|
|6||x – Meralco Bolts||8||6||.571||2|
|7||w – Barako Bull Energy||6||8||.429||4||+35|
|8||w – Powerade Tigers||6||8||.429||4||−35|
|9||e – Alaska Aces||3||11||.214||7|
|10||e – Shopinas.com Clickers||0||14||.000||10|
|(#1 twice to beat)|
|(Best-of-3)||5||Rain or Shine||3|
|5||Rain or Shine||2|
|(#2 twice-to-beat)||2||Talk 'N Text||4|
|2||Talk 'N Text||81|
|2||Talk 'N Text||4|
*Game went into overtime
- Philippine Cup Finals: (2) Talk 'N Text (10-4) def. (8) Powerade (6-8), 4 games to 1.
- Best Player of the Conference: Gary David (Powerade)
2012 Blue vs. Green Dream Game
2012 Commissioner's Cup
After the PBA Philippine Cup Finals, the PBA is slated to return in the PBA Commissioner's Cup. This conference features imports for each team, with an unlimited height ceiling.
- After a dismal finish in the Philippine Cup, the Lina Group of Companies announced that the Shopinas.com Clickers will be renamed as the Air21 Express starting in the Commissioner's Cup.
- On February 2, Coca-Cola Bottlers Philippines was rumored to sell its PBA team, the Powerade Tigers, to San Miguel Corporation, therefore allowing SMC to own and unprecedented 4 teams in the league. The rumors arose when it was revealed that certain factions in the Coca-Cola management have decided to sell the team. The next day, however, the trade rumors were debunked by Powerade manager JB Baylon.
- Due to being the Philippine national basketball team's naturalized player, Marcus Douthit's rights to be signed as an import (despite having naturalized Filipino status) were bidded on by the different PBA teams. The Air21 Express won the rights to sign Douthit after all the other teams passed. Douthit then agreed to play for Air21, with the rule that if he leaves Air21, he cannot play for any other team.
- On January 27, 2012, sister teams Barangay Ginebra Gin Kings, B-Meg Llamados and third team Barako Bull Energy completed a five - player blockbuster deal. In the deal, B-MEG received Gin Kings forward J.C. Intal and a 2012 2nd round pick from Barako Bull that originally belonged to Air 21, formerly Shopinas.com. Ginebra got Llamados forward Kerby Raymundo and Energy rookie Dylan Ababou. Barako Bull ended up with Gin Kings veteran swingman Ronald Tubid and rookie Reil Cervantes, as well as a second round draft pick in 2014 from Ginebra. This marks the second time that Barako Bull has traded its top draft picks.
- On the same day, Air21 completed a four-man trade with the Meralco Bolts. Air21 acquired Nelbert Omolon and Mark Isip from Meralco in exchange for Mark Canlas, Dennis Daa, and a 2012 first-round draft pick that belonged to Meralco originally.
- On January 11, after the Barangay Ginebra Kings lost their quarterfinal series against Rain or Shine Elasto Painters, coach Jong Uichico was revealed to have left Ginebra to join the Smart Gilas national basketball team coaches pool. Co-head coach Siot Tanquincen has become the sole head coach. On January 17, Uichico joined the Meralco Bolts as an assistant coach.
– clinched outright semifinals, – clinched quarterfinals, – eliminated
|1||y – Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||7||2||.778||—|
|2||y – Barangay Ginebra Kings||6||3||.667||1||0.85|
|3||x – B-Meg Llamados||6||3||.667||1||1.17|
|4||x – Alaska Aces||5||4||.556||2|
|5||x – Barako Bull Energy||4||5||.444||3||1.04|
|6||x – Meralco Bolts||4||5||.444||3||1.01|
|7||e – Powerade Tigers||4||5||.444||3||0.95|
|8||e – Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||3||6||.333||4||1.12|
|9||e – Petron Blaze Boosters||3||6||.333||4||1.11|
|10||e – Air21 Express||3||6||.333||4||0.80|
|1||Talk 'N Text||3|
|5||Barako Bull||2||1||Talk 'N Text||3|
- Commissioner's Cup Finals: (3) B-Meg (6-3) def. (1) Talk 'N Text (7-2), 4 games to 3.
- Best Player of the Conference: Mark Caguioa (Barangay Ginebra)
- Best Import of the Conference: Denzel Bowles (B-Meg)
2012 Governors' Cup
- The Barangay Ginebra Kings announced the retirement of Robert Jaworski's #7 jersey. The ceremony was held on July 8 before the start of the semifinals game between Barangay Ginebra and Petron Blaze.
- In commemoration of the jersey retirement of Robert Jaworski, the Barangay Ginebra Kings wore their throwback 1985 Ginebra San Miguel white jerseys (with slight modifications, specifically the replacement of the La Tondeña "G" logo with the current GSM yellow logo), on their semifinal game against Petron Blaze.
- PBA referee Peter Balao was suspended until the end of the season after a miss call of a three-second violation during the knockout game between the Barako Bull Energy and the Powerade Tigers.
- Following the loss of Barako Bull Energy against the Powerade Tigers in their knockout game, Don Allado of Barako Bull posted on his Twitter account his frustrations and mentioned that the PBA games are fixed. The Twitter posts were later deleted by Allado within a day and issued an apology to the league and the PBA officials. PBA Commissioner Chito Salud called Allado to his office to explain his accusations. Allado was later fined Php 500,000; Php 300,000 will go the PBA players educational trust fund and Php 200,000 to a charitable institution of his choice. Allado is also banned for one conference from all PBA related activities. The fine became the largest penalty for a player since Wynne Arboleda's fine after a violent altercation with a fan during their game against Smart Gilas in 2009.
- On April 20, 2012 Powerade Tigers and Petron Blaze Boosters completed a five - player deal that would send Celino Cruz and Marcio Lassiter to Petron while Powerade receiving reigning Rookie of the Year Rabeh Al-Hussaini, Rey Guevarra and Lordy Tugade.
- On May 1, 2012 Barako Bull Energy has agreed on a trade that would send veteran Dorian Pena to the Petron Blaze Boosters in exchange for Carlo Sharma and Celino Cruz.
- On May 5, 2012 Powerade Tigers traded Doug Kramer to the Barako Bull Energy for backup forward Jondan Salvador and a first round pick in the upcoming draft.
- On May 11, 2012 Alaska Aces has agreed to trade center Jay-R Reyes to the Meralco Bolts in exchange for power forward Gabby Espinas. The transaction also gave the Aces the right to switch draft picks with Bolts in the upcoming draft.
- On May 29, 2012, Air 21 Express traded starting point guard RJ Jazul to the Alaska Aces in exchange for backup guard Eric Salamat and a 2012 second - round pick.
- On April 16, 2012 coach Joel Banal of the Alaska Aces who was signed to a three-year deal, resigned from the team after losing the quarterfinal series against the Barako Bull Energy. Luigi Trillo, the son of Alaska team manager Joaqui Trillo, assistant coach of Alaska and former head coach of the PBA D-League Cebuana Lhuillier Gems, was appointed to replace Banal. Trillo also stated that he will reinstate the triangle offense in Alaska.
– clinched semifinals, – eliminated
|1||y – Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||8||1||.889||—|
|2||y – B-Meg Llamados||6||3||.667||2|
|3||y – Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||5||4||.555||3||+18|
|4||y – Barangay Ginebra Kings||5||4||.555||3||0|
|5||y – Petron Blaze Boosters||5||4||.555||3||−18|
|6||y – Meralco Bolts||4||5||.444||4||+11|
|7||e – Powerade Tigers||4||5||.444||4||−18|
|8||e – Barako Bull Energy||4||5||.444||4||+8|
|9||e – Alaska Aces||2||7||.222||6||+30|
|10||e – Air21 Express||2||7||.222||6||−30|
– clinched outright finals, – clinched finals berth playoff, – clinched 4-of-5 win playoff incentive, – eliminated
|1||z – Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||10||4||.692||—||2||3|
|2||y – B-Meg Llamados||9||5||.643||1||3||2||+20|
|3||x – Barangay Ginebra Kings||9||5||.643||1||4||1||−20|
|4||e – Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||8||6||.571||2||3||2|
|5||e – Petron Blaze Boosters||6||8||.429||4||1||4||+12|
|6||e – Meralco Bolts||6||8||.429||4||2||3||−12|
*Point differential on games among tied teams, and if still tied, overall point differential.
- Governors Cup Finals: (1) Rain or Shine (10-4) def. (2) B-Meg (9-5), 4 games to 3.
- Best Player of the Conference: Mark Caguioa (Barangay Ginebra)
- Best Import of the Conference: Jamelle Cornley (Rain or Shine)
- Most Valuable Player: Mark Caguioa (Barangay Ginebra)
- Rookie of the Year: Paul Lee (Rain or Shine)
- First Mythical Team:
- Second Mythical Team:
- All-Defensive Team:
- Most Improved Player: Jeffrei Chan (Rain or Shine)
- Sportsmanship Award: JV Casio (Powerade)
Awards given by the PBA Press Corps
- Scoring Champion: Gary David (Powerade)
- Coach of the Year: Yeng Guiao (Rain or Shine)
- Mr. Quality Minutes: Larry Fonacier (Talk 'N Text)
- Comeback Player of the Year: Mark Caguioa (Barangay Ginebra)
- Executive of the Year: Raymund Yu and Terry Que (Rain or Shine)
- Defensive Player of the Year: Jireh Ibañes (Rain or Shine)
- All-Rookie Team
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||62||40||22||.645||Champions|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||53||31||22||.585||Champions|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||44||25||19||.568||Semifinalist|
|Petron Blaze Boosters||46||23||23||.500||Semifinalist|
|Barako Bull Energy||42||18||24||.429||Semifinalist|
|Air21 Express/Shopinas.com Clickers||32||5||27||.156||Elimination round|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||32||22||10||.688|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||32||20||12||.625|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||32||20||12||.625|
|Petron Blaze Boosters||32||17||15||.531|
|Barako Bull Energy||32||14||18||.438|
|Air21 Express/Shopinas.com Clickers||32||5||27||.156|
|Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters||30||18||12||.600|
|Rain or Shine Elasto Painters||21||11||10||.524|
|Petron Blaze Boosters||14||6||8||.429|
|Barangay Ginebra Kings||12||5||7||.417|
|Barako Bull Energy||10||4||6||.400|
|Air21 Express/Shopinas.com Clickers||0||0||0||N/A|
- GIN-ROS TIFF, HALL OF FAME INDUCTION USHER 37TH SEASON, PBA.ph, October 1, 2011
- PBA now accepting draft applicants ABS-CBNnews.com
- Powerade acquires Kramer, Vanlandingham, Reynaldo Belen, interaksyon.com, August 26, 2011
- B-MEG SNARES BARROCA IN 3-WAY DEAL, PBA.ph, September 6, 2011
- Lina firm to be PBA’s first dot-com company, Reynaldo Belen, interaksyon.com, July 20, 2011
- Air 21 franchise renamed to Barako for next PBA season, Reynaldo Belen, interaksyon.com, August 23, 2011
- PBA approves salary cap increase, sets standard bonus scheme, Reynaldo Belen, InterAKTV, September 8, 2011
- Uneven playing field: The PBA is a league of haves and have-nots, Reynaldo Belen and Jaemark Tordecilla, InterAKTV, September 5, 2011
- Tanquingcen, Uichico to co-coach Ginebra next season, by: Reynaldo Belen, InterAKTV, August 26, 2011
- It's official: Tim Cone leaves Alaska, By: Dino Maragay, The Philippine Star, September 1, 2011
- Cone ends 22-year partnership with Alaska, Banal is new coach, GMA News Online, September 1, 2011
- Tim Cone is B-MEG's new head coach, GMA News Online, September 14, 2011
- Del Rosario chosen as new B-Meg coach; Gallent slides down as assistant, by: Reynaldo Belen, InterAKTV, August 30, 2011
- Star-filled PBA Opening Ceremonies at Smart Araneta Coliseum, Kaye Estoista-Koo, Philippine Entertainment Portal, October 3, 2011
- Ginebra retires Robert Jaworksi's No. 7 jersey, Erwin Santiago, Philippine Entertainment Portal, June 29, 2012
- PBA suspends referee, as Allado rips league after Barako's exit, GMA News Online, July 4, 2012
- PBA: Game-fixing accusations come from sore losers - Salud, GMA News Online, July 4, 2012
- ALLADO FINED P.5M, SACKED FOR 1 CONFERENCE, PBA.ph, July 5, 2012
- After tweeting game-fixing charges, PBA player slapped with record-setting fine, Mark Zambrano, GMA News Online, July 5, 2012
- PBA: How does Allado's P500k fine stack up against the biggest PBA penalties?, Adrian Dy, GMA News Online, July 5, 2012