2011 Avis Amur Antonov An-12 crash
RA-11125 seen in 2005 while in service with KnAAPO
|Date||9 August 2011|
|Summary||Loss of control after engine fire|
|Aircraft type||Antonov An-12BP|
|Flight origin||Magadan Airport, Russia|
|Destination||Keperveyem Airport, Russia|
On 9 August 2011, an Antonov An-12 aircraft of Avis Amur was operating a Russian domestic cargo flight from Magadan Airport to Keperveyem Airport, carrying nine crew and two passengers. An engine fire was reported en route and the aircraft subsequently crashed northeast of Magadan, killing all on board.
The accident aircraft was Antonov AN-12BP registered RA-11125, c/n 3341006. The aircraft had first flown in 1963 and at the time of the accident was the oldest Russian registered aircraft flying in commercial service.
The aircraft took off from Magadan Airport for Keperveyem Airport, carrying nine crew, two passengers, and 17.58 tonnes of cargo. A fuel leak was reported, followed by a report of an engine fire when the aircraft was near the village of Omsukchan and 230 nautical miles (430 km) northeast of Magadan. A return to Magadan was initiated, following which the aircraft disappeared from radar screens. The aircraft was subsequently discovered to have crashed at a location variously reported to be 45 nautical miles (83 km) or 200 kilometres (110 nmi) from Omsukchan; or about 170 nautical miles (310 km) from Magadan; with the loss of all on board. Fog in the area hampered the search for the aircraft, which crashed in a forest. Debris was spread for 5 kilometres (3.1 mi). Some human remains were found, but as of 15 August the 11 victims were still officially listed as "missing".
The Interstate Aviation Committee (Russian: Межгосударственный авиационный комитет (МАК)) of the Commonwealth of Independent States opened an investigation into the accident. As a result of the accident, the operation of the Antonov An-12 within Russia was banned until a risk assessment programme had been completed.
- "RA-11125 Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Hradecky, Simon. "Accident: Avis Amur AN12 near Magadan on Aug 9th 2011, engine fire". The Aviation Herald. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Russian cargo plane crash in Magadan 'kills 11'". BBC News Online. 9 August 2011. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Авиационное событие с самолетом Ан-12 в Магаданской области 09.08.2011 г. (in Russian). Federal Service for Supervision of Transport (Rostransnadzor). Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Ан-12 RA-11125." Interstate Aviation Committee (Russian) (Archive)