2011 Dalbandin earthquake
|UTC time||2011-01-18 20:23:23|
|Local date||January 18, 2018|
|Local time||01:23:23 PKT|
|Magnitude||7.2 Mw |
|Depth||90 km (55.9 mi) |
|Total damage||Moderate |
|Max. intensity||VI (Strong) |
|Casualties||3 killed, some injured |
The 2011 Dalbandin earthquake occurred on January 19 at 01:23 AM local time with a moment magnitude of Mw 7.2 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of VI (Strong). The shock occurred in a sparsely populated area of Balochistan, caused moderate damage, three deaths and some injuries.
The tectonic environment of this region is dominated by the motions of the Arabian Plate, the Indian Plate, and the Eurasian Plate. This earthquake occurred as a result of normal faulting within the lithosphere of the subducted Arabian Plate.
About 200 mud houses, including some government offices, were reported damaged in the Dalbandin area of Pakistan. Two women died of heart attacks in Quetta after the earthquake, about 330 km northeast of the epicenter, where the Mercalli intensity was IV (Light).
Tremors after the earthquake reached neighboring countries including Bahrain, UAE, Oman, Iran, Afghanistan, and India. It was felt with a Mercali intensity of IV (Light) in Islamabad, Karachi, Muscat, Delhi, and III (Weak) in Kabul, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi.
- ISC (2016), ISC-GEM Global Instrumental Earthquake Catalogue (1900–2012), Version 3.0, International Seismological Centre
- USGS. "M 7.2 - southwestern Pakistan". United States Geological Survey.
- National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Service (NGDC/WDS), Significant Earthquake Database, National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA, doi:10.7289/V5TD9V7K
- the CNN Wire Staff (2011-01-18). "Homes damaged after Pakistan earthquake - CNN.com". Edition.cnn.com. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "Leading News Resource of Pakistan". Daily Times. Archived from the original on 2012-05-25. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "Un muerto y varios heridos por terremoto en Pakistán" (in Spanish). El Economista. 2011-01-18. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- Ali, Saeed (2010-12-12). "Major quake rattles Pakistan | World | News". Toronto Sun. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- Martin, S. S.; Kakar, D. M. (2012), "The 19 January 2011 Mw 7.2 Dalbandin Earthquake, Balochistan", Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, 102 (4): 1810–1819, Bibcode:2012BuSSA.102.1810M, doi:10.1785/0120110221
- Major earthquake strikes southwestern Pakistan – CNN
- Dalbandin, Pakistan Earthquake of 18 January 2011, Mw 7.2 – IIEES
- Pakistan: Post-Earthquake Assessment for Town of Dalbandin, Balochistan (28 Jan 2011) – ReliefWeb
- The International Seismological Centre has a bibliography and/or authoritative data for this event.