2011 FA Community Shield
|Date||7 August 2011|
|Venue||Wembley Stadium, London|
|Man of the Match||Nani (Manchester United)|
|Referee||Phil Dowd (Staffordshire)|
16 °C (61 °F)
The 2011 FA Community Shield (also known as The FA Community Shield sponsored by McDonald's for sponsorship reasons) was the 89th FA Community Shield, an annual football match contested by the winners of the previous season's Premier League and FA Cup competitions. The match was the 160th Manchester derby between Manchester United and Manchester City and played at Wembley Stadium, London, on 7 August 2011. Manchester United won the game 3–2, with goals from Chris Smalling and Nani (2), after Joleon Lescott and Edin Džeko had put City 2–0 up at half-time.
Manchester United qualified to take part for the fifth consecutive year by winning the 2010–11 Premier League title and Manchester City qualified by winning the 2010–11 FA Cup. United successfully defended the shield to win it for the fourth time in five years, having beaten Chelsea 3–1 in the 2010 match.
This was only the second occasion the two teams had met in the competition, with the first being the 1956 FA Charity Shield, which United won 1–0. Both teams secured their place in the 2011 Community Shield on the same day, 14 May 2011, when United clinched the 2010–11 Premier League title with a 1–1 draw against Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park and City beating Stoke City 1–0 later in the day in the 2011 FA Cup Final.
|Manchester City||2–3||Manchester United|
Nani 58', 90+4'
|Shots on target||6||12|
Source: BBC Sport
- 2010–11 Premier League
- 2010–11 FA Cup
- Manchester derby
- 1956 FA Charity Shield – the only previous occasion the Charity or Community Shield has been contested by the two Manchester clubs
- "Dowd to referee Community Shield". TheFA.com. The Football Association. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- "The FA Community Shield 2011". Wembley Stadium. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2011.
- Bevan, Chris (7 August 2011). "Man City 2–3 Man Utd". BBC Sport. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- Mawhinney, Stuart (7 August 2011). "United take the spoils in Shield classic". TheFA.com. The Football Association. Retrieved 7 August 2011.