2011 Farmers Classic
|2011 Farmers Classic|
|Date||July 25 – July 31|
|Category||ATP World Tour 250|
|Draw||28S / 16D|
|Surface||Hard / outdoor|
|Location||Los Angeles, United States|
|Venue||Los Angeles Tennis Center|
|Ernests Gulbis |
|Mark Knowles / Xavier Malisse |
The 2011 Farmers Classic, presented by Mercedes-Benz, was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts in Los Angeles. It was the 85th edition of the Los Angeles Open, and was part of the Olympus US Open Series of the 2011 ATP World Tour. It took place at the Los Angeles Tennis Center on the campus of UCLA, from July 25 through July 31, 2011, with total player compensation in excess of $1 million. The events were televised by ESPN2 and the Tennis Channel. Following the tournament, a Coldplay concert was held on August 3 and broadcast a portion on ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live!.
Juan Martín del Potro, who won the 2008 Countrywide Classic and 2009 US Open was one of the first players signed on to play in the tournament. The Argentinean reached a career high of No. 4 in 2010.
|ARG||Juan Martín del Potro||19||2|
*Seedings based on the July 18, 2011 rankings.
The following players received wildcards into the singles main draw:
The following players received entry as a special exempt into the singles main draw:
The following players received entry from the qualifying draw:
- This was Gulbis's first title of the year and his second career ATP title.
- As a part of this year's tournament, "An Evening with Betty White" was presented prior to the tournament on July 22 at UCLA's Royce Hall.
- July 30, 2011 – Peter Fleming, the Farmers Classic 1979 singles and 1983 doubles champion, was named 2011 Tournament Honoree.
- August 3, 2011 – "An Evening with Coldplay" concert.
- "2011 Los Angeles Men's Singles draw". www.atpworldtour.com. Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).
- "2011 Los Angeles Men's Doubles draw". www.atpworldtour.com. Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP).
- Special Events Highlight Captivating Week at Farmers Classic Presented by Mercedes-Benz , farmersclassic.com, July 7, 2011
- Diane Pucin, The Day In Sports, Los Angeles Times, May 19, 2011
- Philip Mare (August 1, 2011). "Fish stunned by Gulbis in Los Angeles final". Tennis World USA.
- "ATP Los Angeles: Ernests Gulbis Upsets Mardy Fish For Second Career Title". SB Nation. August 1, 2011.
- "Gulbis rallies by Fish to win Farmers Classic". USA Today. August 2, 2011.
- 2011 Tournament Honoree: Peter Fleming Archived 2012-03-25 at the Wayback Machine., FarmersClassic.com, July 30, 2011
- Phil Gallo, Coldplay Covers Amy Winehouse in Live Tribute, Billboard, August 4, 2011