2011 Goody's Fast Relief 500
|Race 6 of 36 in the 2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series|
|Date||April 3, 2011|
|Location||Martinsville Speedway, Martinsville, Virginia|
|Course||Permanent racing facility
.526 mi (.847 km)
|Distance||500 laps, 263 mi (423 km)|
|Weather||Partly cloudy with a high around 63; wind out of the SW at 7 mph.|
|Average speed||74.195 mph (119.405 km/h)|
|Driver||Earnhardt Ganassi Racing|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing|
|No. 29||Kevin Harvick||Richard Childress Racing|
|Television in the United States|
|Network||Fox Broadcasting Company|
|Announcers||Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip and Larry McReynolds|
7.229 million viewers
The 2011 Goody's Fast Relief 500 was a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series stock car race that was held on April 3, 2011 at Martinsville Speedway in Martinsville, Virginia. Contested over 500 laps, it was the sixth race of the 2011 season. Kevin Harvick from the Richard Childress Racing team won the race, while Dale Earnhardt, Jr. finished in the second position ahead of Kyle Busch.
Martinsville Speedway is one of five short tracks to hold NASCAR races. The standard track at Martinsville Speedway is a four-turn short track oval that is 0.526 miles (0.847 km) long. The track's turns are banked at eleven degrees, while the front stretch, the location of the finish line, is banked at zero degrees. The back stretch also has a zero degree banking. The racetrack had seats for 63,000 spectators.
Before the race, Carl Edwards led the Drivers' Championship with 187 points, and Ryan Newman stood in second with 178. Kurt Busch followed in third with 177 points, one ahead of Kyle Busch and four ahead of Jimmie Johnson in fourth and fifth. Tony Stewart with 170 was six points ahead of Paul Menard, as Juan Pablo Montoya with 161 points, was four ahead of Kevin Harvick and Matt Kenseth in ninth and tenth. In the Manufacturers' Championship, Toyota, Chevrolet and Ford were in the first three positions with 31 points, 14 ahead of Dodge in fourth. Denny Hamlin was the race's defending champion after winning it in 2010.
Practice and qualifying
Two practice sessions were held in preparation for the race; both on Friday. The first session lasted 80 minutes long, while the second was 90 minutes long. Kyle Busch was quickest with a time of 19.804 seconds in the first session, 0.001 seconds faster than Joey Logano. Harvick was just off Logano's pace, followed by Brad Keselowski, Jamie McMurray, and Jeff Burton. Menard was seventh, still within a second of Busch's time. Also in the first practice session, Johnson spun sideways after the second turn.
In the second and final practice, David Ragan was quickest with a time of 19.670 seconds. Jeff Gordon followed in second, ahead of Keselowski and David Reutimann. Kasey Kahne was fifth quickest, with a time of 19.764 seconds. Ryan Newman, Bobby Labonte, Marcos Ambrose, Brian Vickers, and A. J. Allmendinger rounded out the first ten positions. Kyle Busch, who was first in the first session, could only manage 23rd. The second session also had cautions because of spins. The drivers involved were Logano and Dennis Setzer.
Forty-four cars are entered for qualifying, but only forty-three could qualify for the race because of NASCAR's qualifying procedure. McMurray clinched his first pole position of the season, with a time of 19.621 seconds. He was joined on the front row of the grid by Newman. Kasey Kahne qualified third, Logano took fourth, and Hamlin started fifth. Allmendinger, Labonte, Reutimann, Harvick and Regan Smith rounded out the top ten. However, in the qualifying session, only 43 cars attempted to qualify (Setzer withdrew). Following the session, McMurray commented, "We've had really good cars. It just seems like we've had really bad luck, so I'm hoping. ... I've always been a little superstitious of green, and I showed up, and I saw my car, and I was like, 'Wow, that's not really what I was expecting to see.' But I hope this turns it around for us."
|1||1||Jamie McMurray||Earnhardt Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||19.621||96.509|
|2||39||Ryan Newman||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||19.655||96.342|
|3||4||Kasey Kahne||Red Bull Racing Team||Toyota||19.665||96.293|
|4||20||Joey Logano||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||19.680||96.220|
|5||11||Denny Hamlin||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||19.726||95.995|
|6||43||A. J. Allmendinger||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford||19.735||95.951|
|7||47||Bobby Labonte||JTG Daugherty Racing||Toyota||19.745||95.951|
|8||00||David Reutimann||Michael Waltrip Racing||Toyota||19.755||95.854|
|9||29||Kevin Harvick||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||19.761||95.825|
|10||78||Regan Smith||Furniture Row Racing||Chevrolet||19.768||95.791|
|11||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||19.769||95.786|
|12||5||Mark Martin||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||19.784||95.714|
|13||83||Brian Vickers||Red Bull Racing Team||Toyota||19.788||95.694|
|14||6||David Ragan||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||19.792||95.675|
|15||33||Clint Bowyer||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||19.797||95.651|
|16||27||Paul Menard||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||19.817||95.554|
|17||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||19.820||95.540|
|18||56||Martin Truex, Jr.||Michael Waltrip Racing||Toyota||19.833||95.477|
|19||9||Marcos Ambrose||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford||19.835||95.468|
|20||22||Kurt Busch||Penske Racing||Dodge||19.836||95.463|
|21||24||Jeff Gordon||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||19.843||95.429|
|22||2||Brad Keselowski||Penske Racing||Dodge||19.852||95.386|
|23||99||Carl Edwards||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||19.875||95.275|
|24||17||Matt Kenseth||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||19.879||95.256|
|25||21||Trevor Bayne||Wood Brothers Racing||Ford||19.879||95.256|
|26||88||Dale Earnhardt, Jr.||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||19.894||95.184|
|27||42||Juan Pablo Montoya||Earnhardt Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||19.908||95.118|
|28||14||Tony Stewart||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||19.914||95.089|
|29||36||Dave Blaney||Tommy Baldwin Racing||Chevrolet||19.916||95.079|
|30||13||Casey Mears||Germain Racing||Toyota||19.932||19.932|
|31||38||Travis Kvapil||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||19.942||94.955|
|32||31||Jeff Burton||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||20.002||94.671|
|33||16||Greg Biffle||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||20.004||94.661|
|34||7||Robby Gordon||Robby Gordon Motorsports||Dodge||20.028||94.548|
|35||66||Michael McDowell||HP Racing||Toyota||20.044||94.472|
|36||34||David Gilliland||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||20.066||94.369|
|37||87||Joe Nemechek||NEMCO Motorsports||Toyota||20.100||94.209|
|38||09||Landon Cassill||Phoenix Racing||Chevrolet||20.135||94.045|
|39||60||Mike Skinner||Germain Racing||Toyota||20.171||93.877|
|40||32||Ken Schrader||FAS Lane Racing||Ford||20.228||93.613|
|41||37||Tony Raines||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||20.306||93.253|
|42||46||J. J. Yeley||Whitney Motorsports||Chevrolet||20.306||93.253|
|43||71||Hermie Sadler||TRG Motorsports||Chevrolet||20.640||91.744|
|1||9||29||Kevin Harvick||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||500||51|
|2||26||88||Dale Earnhardt, Jr.||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||500||44|
|3||11||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||500||45|
|4||27||42||Juan Pablo Montoya||Earnhardt Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||500||40|
|5||21||24||Jeff Gordon||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||500||41|
|6||24||17||Matt Kenseth||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||500||38|
|7||1||1||Jamie McMurray||Earnhardt Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||500||39|
|8||14||6||David Ragan||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||500||36|
|9||15||33||Clint Bowyer||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||500||37|
|10||12||5||Mark Martin||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||500||34|
|11||17||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||500||35|
|12||5||11||Denny Hamlin||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||500||34|
|13||4||20||Joey Logano||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||499||31|
|14||6||43||A.J. Allmendinger||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford||499||32|
|15||8||00||David Reutimann||Michael Waltrip Racing||Toyota||499||29|
|16||20||22||Kurt Busch||Penske Racing||Dodge||499||28|
|17||18||83||Brian Vickers||Red Bull Racing Team||Toyota||499||27|
|18||23||99||Carl Edwards||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||499||27|
|19||22||2||Brad Keselowski||Penske Racing||Dodge||498||25|
|20||2||39||Ryan Newman||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||498||25|
|21||33||16||Greg Biffle||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||498||23|
|22||39||32||Ken Schrader||FAS Lane Racing||Ford||497||22|
|23||34||7||Robby Gordon||Robby Gordon Motorsports||Dodge||497||21|
|24||32||31||Jeff Burton||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||495||20|
|25||40||37||Tony Raines||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||493||19|
|26||37||09||Landon Cassill||Phoenix Racing||Chevrolet||493||0|
|27||7||47||Bobby Labonte||JTG Daugherty Racing||Toyota||489||17|
|28||42||71||Hermie Sadler||TRG Motorsports||Chevrolet||488||0|
|29||19||9||Marcos Ambrose||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford||487||15|
|30||29||36||Dave Blaney||Tommy Baldwin Racing||Chevrolet||486||14|
|31||10||78||Regan Smith||Furniture Row Racing||Chevrolet||476||13|
|32||35||66||Michael McDowell||HP Racing||Toyota||470||12|
|33||36||34||David Gilliland||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||468||11|
|34||28||14||Tony Stewart||Stewart-Haas Racing||Chevrolet||462||10|
|35||25||21||Trevor Bayne||Wood Brothers Racing||Ford||460||0|
|36||30||13||Casey Mears||Germain Racing||Toyota||457||8|
|37||31||38||Travis Kvapil||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||443||0|
|38||16||27||Paul Menard||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||261||6|
|39||3||4||Kasey Kahne||Red Bull Racing Team||Toyota||219||6|
|40||18||56||Martin Truex, Jr.||Michael Waltrip Racing||Toyota||219||4|
|41||41||46||J.J. Yeley||Whitney Motorsports||Chevrolet||33||3|
|42||38||60||Mike Skinner||Germain Racing||Toyota||31||0|
|43||43||87||Joe Nemechek||NEMCO Motorsports||Toyota||25||0|
Standings after the race
- "Sprint Cup Series Schedule". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved March 3, 2011.
- Brown, Brian (March 30, 2011). "The Goody's Fast Relief 500". Rotoworld.com. NBC Sports Digital. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- "2011 NASCAR Sprint Cup TV Ratings". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- "NASCAR Race Tracks". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 2, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "About the Track — Martinsville Speedway". martinsvillespeedway.com. Martinsville Speedway. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Driver's Championship Classification". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 7, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "2011 Manufactures' Championship". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "2010 Goody's Fast Pain Relief 500". Racing-reference. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site – Sprint Cup Race Info / Rundown Page". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Practice Speeds: Goody's Fast Relief 500 (Practice 1)". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 4, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Spinning out in Martinsville – April 01, 2011 – NASCAR.COM Video". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. April 1, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Practice Speeds: Goody's Fast Relief 500 (Practice 2)". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 4, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Qualifying Order: Goody's Fast Pain Relief 500". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 4, 2011. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Race Lineup: Goody's Fast Relief 500". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 4, 2011. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- Sporting News Wire Service (April 2, 2011). "McMurray earns his first pole of '11 at Martinsville". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 5, 2011. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- "Qualifying/Grid page for the Goody's Fast Relief 500 at Martinsville Speedway". Jayski's Silly Season Site. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- "2011 Official Race Results : Goody's Fast Relief 50". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 6, 2011. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
- "2011 Official Driver Standings: Goody's Fast Relief 500". NASCAR. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Archived from the original on April 8, 2011. Retrieved December 18, 2015.
2011 Auto Club 400
|Sprint Cup Series
2011 Samsung Mobile 500