2011 Greek census
|2011 Population and Housing Census|
|Total population||10,815,197 (0.88%)|
|Most populous ||Attica|
|Least populous ||North Aegean|
The 2011 Population and Housing Census (Greek: Απογραφή Πληθυσμού-Kατοικιών 2011), branded as 2011 General Censuses (Greek: Γενικές Απογραφές 2011), was a population census in Greece conducted by the Hellenic Statistical Authority on behalf of the Greek state between 10 and 24 May 2011. It was conducted as part of the 2011 European Union census. Its purpose was to enumerate the number of people in the country as well as survey the social characteristics of the population. The census was available in 8 languages other than Greek: English, Albanian, French, Vietnamese, Russian, Arabic, Urdu and Dari.
The final results of the census were announced on 28 December 2012, with a minor correction in 2014. According to final results, the total resident population of Greece was 10,815,197 on census day. There was a margin of error of 2.84%.
Scope and format
The 2011 census was carried out to ascertain the number of people in Greece at the time of the census, the demographic, social, and economic conditions of residents and households, and the stock of buildings available in the country. The census was conducted in a format compliant with European Union regulations. It was the first census in Greece carried out over a number of days, as opposed to a single day; this was so as to make it more convenient for residents to complete the census. It was also the first census to be conducted in accordance with the data protection guidelines of the Hellenic Data Protection Authority (el).
Main demographic indicators by region
|Region||Absolute numbers||Sex (%)||Average age||Born in (%)||Marital status (%)|
|Eastern Macedonia and Thrace||608,182||299,643||308,539||49.3||50.7||46.2||39.9||89.36||10.64||35.84||52.93||8.52||2.23||0.49|
|Source: Census 2011 tables A01, A04, and A06.|
- "Publication of provisional results of the 2011 Population Census" (PDF). www.statistics.gr. 22 July 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 November 2011. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Census 2011 - Main Page". www.statistics.gr. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Announcement of the results of the 2011 Population Census for the Resident Population" (PDF). Hellenic Statistics Authority. Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "Press release, Demographics characteristics" (PDF). Hellenic Statistics Authority. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 December 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- "Ανακοίνωση των αποτελεσμάτων της Απογραφής Πληθυσμού–Κατοικιών 2011 για το Μόνιμο Πληθυσμό της Χώρας" [Announcement of the results of the 2011 Population–Housing Census for the Permanent Population of the Country] (PDF) (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority. 2011-12-28. Retrieved 2019-02-22.
- "Δημογραφικά χαρακτηριστικά / 2011" [Demographic characteristics / 2011] (XLS). www.statistics.gr (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority. Retrieved 2019-02-23.