2011 MLS Supplemental Draft
The 2011 MLS Supplemental Draft is a secondary draft that was held by Major League Soccer on January 18, 2011. The draft consisted of three rounds with each of the 18 MLS clubs participating.[ref 1] The return of the Supplemental Draft after a two-year hiatus coincided with the return of the MLS Reserve Division in 2011.
Fifty-four players were selected during the three rounds. Vancouver Whitecaps FC had the first overall selection in the draft, followed by the Portland Timbers. The following eight selections were from teams that failed to qualify for the 2010 MLS Cup Playoffs, starting with the team holding the fewest 2010 regular-season points (three points per win, one point per draw). The subsequent eight selection positions of clubs were sorted by fewest regular-season points, from among teams that went out in the same round of the MLS Cup Playoffs. As similar in other drafts, teams were permitted to trade these rights away to other teams in exchange for other rights such as players, special roster spots, or other rights of interest.
The fourth round of the 2011 MLS SuperDraft was eliminated when the Supplemental Draft was re-instated. Traded fourth-round selections in the 2011 SuperDraft were converted into traded first-round selections in the 2011 Supplemental Draft.[ref 1]
Round one trades
- #3: D.C. United → Los Angeles Galaxy. 2011-01-13: Los Angeles acquired this selection and the #16 selection from D.C. United in exchange for a third-round selection (#50) in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft.[ref 2]
- #4: Chivas USA → New York Red Bulls. 2009-09-11: New York acquired this selection from Chivas USA in exchange for goalkeeper Jon Conway.[ref 3]
- #12: Columbus → D.C. United → Portland. 2010-11-24: Portland acquired this selection and defender Rodney Wallace from D.C. United in exchange for midfielder Dax McCarty and allocation money.[ref 4] D.C. United had acquired this pick and defender Jed Zayner from Columbus in exchange for D.C. United's second-round 2012 MLS SuperDraft selection on 2010-08-06.[ref 5]
- #13: New York Red Bulls → Toronto FC. 2010-03-11: Toronto FC acquired this selection from New York in exchange for midfielder Carl Robinson.[ref 6]
- #15: San Jose → FC Dallas. 2009-04-28: FC Dallas acquired a conditional draft pick in 2011, which became this selection, from San Jose in exchange for defender Aaron Pitchkolan.[ref 7]
- #16: Los Angeles → D.C. United → Los Angeles. 2011-01-13: Los Angeles re-acquired this selection and acquired the #3 selection from D.C. United in exchange for a third-round selection (#50) in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft.[ref 2] D.C. United had acquired this selection from Los Angeles in exchange for forward Adam Cristman on 2011-01-11.[ref 8]
- #18: Colorado → FC Dallas. 2010-07-30: FC Dallas acquired this selection and a conditional 2012 MLS SuperDraft selection from Colorado in exchange for defender Anthony Wallace.[ref 9]
Selections by position
- "MLS SuperDraft trimmed to three rounds" (Press release). MLSSoccer.com. 2011-01-05. Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- French, Scott (2011-01-13). "MLS Draft: Galaxy takes Bell Gardens alum". ESPN Los Angeles. Retrieved 2011-01-13.
- Rigg, Zac Lee (2009-09-12). "Chivas USA Net GK Jon Conway, Among Other Moves". Goal.com. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- "Timbers Acquire DC United's Rodney Wallace for Dax McCarty" (Press release). Portland Timbers Media Relations. 2010-11-24. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- "D.C. United acquires defender Jed Zayner" (Press release). D.C. United Press Relations. 2010-08-06. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- Molinaro, John F. (2010-03-10). "No hard feelings on Robinson: Toronto FC". CBC Sports. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- Goff, Steven (2009-04-28). "Dallas Roster Move(s)". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- "Galaxy acquire forward Cristman from DC" (Press release). MLSSoccer.com/LA Galaxy Communications. 2011-01-11. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- "Rapids acquire defender Wallace in trade with FC Dallas". CBSSports.com. 2010-07-30. Retrieved 2010-12-05.