|2011 Romanian census|
|Most populous ||Bucharest (1,883,400)|
|Least populous ||Covasna (210,200)|
The 2011 Romanian census was a census held in Romania between 20 and 31 October 2011. It was performed by some 120,000 census takers in around 101,000 statistic sectors throughout the country established by the National Institute of Statistics (INS) of Romania. Preparations started already in 2009, and it was announced that the process would not end until 2014. Anyone who did not answer questions in the census questionnaire would be fined between 1,500 and 4,500 Romanian lei, although 4 of the 100 questions related to the respondent's ethnicity, mother language, religion, and possible disabilities were not mandatory.
Preliminary results were released once on 2 February 2012 and again on 20 August 2012. The final definitive result of the census came out on 4 July 2013, showing that, among other things, Romania had lost 1,559,300 people since the 2002 census, consequently having 20,121,641 inhabitants. Some people like sociologist Vasile Ghețău, director of the Center of Demographic Studies of the Romanian Academy and professor at the University of Bucharest, criticized the way the 2011 census was conducted. He mentioned problems such as people confusing the census taker, the use of old maps of the statistical sectors, some people giving incorrect data or no data at all, the "anti-census" attitude of the press and others, concluding that the "failure" of the census was not only of the Romanian Government, but also the country's population.
- "România va avea mai puțini deputați în Parlamentul European din cauza scăderii populației". Ziarul Financiar (in Romanian). Mediafax. 4 February 2012. Retrieved 28 April 2022.
- Mihai, Adelina (19 October 2011). "Recensământ 2011: Zece întrebări despre al 12-lea recensământ". Ziarul Financiar (in Romanian).
- Marcu, Diana (23 April 2012). "ÎNCEPE RECENSĂMÂNTUL: Cele patru întrebări la care poți refuza să răspunzi". Gândul (in Romanian).
- Popa, Dan (2 February 2012). "VIDEO Recensamant 2011, date preliminare: Romania are 19.042.936 locuitori, mai putin cu 2,6 milioane fata de recensamantul din 2002 / Am mai fost 19 milioane in 1966 / Ponderea tiganilor a crescut de la 2,5% la 3,2%". HotNews (in Romanian).
- "Recensământ 2011: rezultatele preliminare arată o populație de 19 milioane de locuitori". Wall-Street.ro (in Romanian). 20 August 2012.
- Ispas, Livia (4 July 2013). "RECENSĂMÂNT 2011, DATE FINALE: Populația României a scăzut cu 1.559.300 de persoane, la 20.121.641. Care sunt județele cu cei mai mulți locuitori". Mediafax (in Romanian).
- Ghețău, Vasile (10 September 2012). "Datele cu care vor lucra guvernele în următorii 10 ani. Octombrie 2011: Un recensământ ratat? Consecințele". Curs de Guvernare (in Romanian).