2012–13 New York Knicks season
|2012–13 New York Knicks season|
|Head coach||Mike Woodson|
|General manager||Glen Grunwald|
|Owner(s)||Madison Square Garden, Inc.|
|Arena||Madison Square Garden|
|Place||Division: 1st (Atlantic)
Conference: 2nd (Eastern)
|Playoff finish||Lost in Semifinals to Indiana|
|Television||MSG Network, MSG Plus, WWOR|
|< 2011–12||2013–14 >|
The 2012–13 New York Knicks season was the 67th season of the franchise in the National Basketball Association (NBA). They clinched a playoff berth on March 22 with a win over the Toronto Raptors, and clinched the Atlantic division title on April 9 against the Washington Wizards.
- 1 Key dates
- 2 Draft picks
- 3 Roster
- 4 Pre-season
- 5 Regular Season
- 6 Playoffs
- 7 Awards, records, and milestones
- 8 Notes
- 9 Transactions
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
- June 28: The 2012 NBA Draft takes place at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.
- July 11: 2012 NBA Free Agency begins.
|2||48||Kostas Papanikolaou||F||Greece||Olympiacos B.C.|
|2012–13 New York Knicks roster|
|2012 pre-season game log|
Pre-season: 3–3 (Home: 0–0; Road: 3–3)
|2012–13 season schedule|
|2013 playoff game log|
First round: 4–2 (Home: 2–1; Road: 2–1)
Conference Semifinals: 2–4 (Home: 2–1; Road: 0–3)
|2013 playoff schedule|
|y-New York Knicks||54||28||.659||–||31–10||23–18||10–6||82|
|2||y-New York Knicks||54||28||.659||12||82|
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game|
|J. R. Smith||80||0||33.5||.415||.352||.785||5.1||2.7||1.27||0.31||17.7|
Awards, records, and milestones
- On December 3, 2012 Carmelo Anthony was named the Eastern Conference Player of the week for November 26 to December 2.
- On April 1, 2013 J.R. Smith was named the Eastern Conference Player of the week for March 25 to March 1.
- On April 8, 2013 Carmelo Anthony was named the Eastern Conference Player of the week for April 1 to April 7.
- On April 15, 2013 Carmelo Anthony was named the Eastern Conference Player of the week for April 8 to April 14, his second consecutive (3rd overall) week winning the award.
- Carmelo Anthony was voted as a starter to the 2013 NBA All-Star Game (6th Selection).
- Tyson Chandler was voted as a reserve to the 2013 NBA All-Star Game (1st Selection).
- Carmelo Anthony set a franchise record of 31 consecutive games played with 20+ points, lasting from November 16 against the Grizzlies and ending on February 2 against the Kings.
- Tyson Chandler tied the franchise record (previously set by Willis Reed in 1969) of 3 consecutive games played with 20+ rebounds against the Bucks, Kings, and Pistons in games played on February 1 through February 4.
- Carmelo Anthony tied the franchise record of 5 consecutive games played with 35+ points (previously set by Bernard King in 1985) in games played April 2 through April 9.
- The Knicks tied the franchise record of 20 3-point shots made in a game on April 9 against the Washington Wizards.
- After the Knicks beat the Oklahoma City Thunder on April 7, coach Mike Woodson improved to 68-32 as Knicks head coach, the best 100 game mark in franchise history.
- The Knicks set new NBA records of 891 3-point shots made and 2371 3-point shots attempted in a season.
- On February 8, 2013 Jason Kidd broke the 12,000 career assist mark against the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- The Knicks started off 6–0, their best start since the 1993–94 season.
- The Knicks went 11–4 in November, the first time they won 11 games in a month since March 2000.
- The Knicks went 12-6 in March, the first time they won 12 games in a month since March 1994.
- The Knicks won 50 games for the first time since the 1999-00 season.
- The Knicks won the Atlantic Division title for the first time since the 1993-94 season.
- The Knicks had a 13-game winning streak from March 18 to April 9, the 3rd longest in franchise history, and the longest since the 1993-94 Knicks had a 15-game winning streak.
Via free agency
Via free agency
|Player||Date Signed||Former team|
|Jason Kidd||July 11||Dallas Mavericks|
|James White||July 11||Scavolini Pesaro|
|Steve Novak||July 11||Re-signed|
|J. R. Smith||July 11||Re-signed|
|Chris Copeland||July 16||Genrali Okapi Aalstar|
|Pablo Prigioni||July 24||Saski Baskonia|
|Ronnie Brewer||July 25||Chicago Bulls|
|Rasheed Wallace||September 28||Boston Celtics|
|Kenyon Martin||February 23||Los Angeles Clippers|
|Jones, SolomonSolomon Jones||April 12||Liaoning Hengye Jaguars|
|Quentin Richardson||April 15||Orlando Magic|
|Earl Barron||April 17||Washington Wizards|
|Landry Fields||July 14||Toronto Raptors||RFA | Offer Sheet|
|Jeremy Lin||July 18||Houston Rockets||RFA | Offer Sheet|
|Ronnie Brewer||February 21||Oklahoma City Thunder||Traded|
|Kurt Thomas||April 12||-||Waived|
|Solomon Jones||April 15||-||Waived|
|Rasheed Wallace||April 17||-||Retired/Waived|
|July 11, 2012||To New York Knicks
Marcus Camby (sign and trade)
|To Houston Rockets
2014 second round pick
2015 second round pick
|July 14, 2012||To New York Knicks
Raymond Felton (sign and trade)
|To Portland Trail Blazers
Jared Jeffries (sign and trade)
Draft rights to Georgios Printezis
2016 second round pick
|February 21, 2013||To New York Knicks
2014 second round pick
|To Oklahoma City Thunder
- "Carmelo Anthony drops 37 as Knicks clinch playoff berth". USA Today. March 22, 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "New York Knicks Statistics". NBA.com.
- "Anthony, Durant named conference Players of the Week". NBA.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "J.R. Smith, Jefferson named conference Players of Week". NBA.com. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Anthony, Pekovic named conference Players of Week". NBA.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Knicks' Anthony, Lakers' Bryant named Players of the Week". NBA.com. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "All-Star 2013 Roster". NBA.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Raymond Felton injures pinkie in Knicks' win over Bucks". Newsday. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Taylor, Nate (February 5, 2013). "Knicks’ Chandler on Cusp of a Team Rebound Mark". New York Times. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "NY Knicks clinch Atlantic Division title as Carmelo Anthony continues historic tear, but Kenyon Martin injured in win". New York Daily News. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Small ball fuels franchise-record 20 3s". ESPN.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Mike Woodson: NY Knicks are ‘in desperate times right now to win a title’". New York: nydailynews.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Jason Kidd records 12,000th Assist". NBA.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Knicks over Magic 99–89". NBA.com. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "Boston Celtics vs. New York Knicks - Recap - March 31, 2013". ESPN.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Transactions: 2012-13 Season". NBA.com. Retrieved 11 April 2013.