2012–13 New York Knicks season
|2012–13 New York Knicks season|
|Head coach||Mike Woodson|
|General manager||Glen Grunwald|
|Owners||Madison Square Garden, Inc.|
|Arena||Madison Square Garden|
|Place||Division: 1st (Atlantic)|
Conference: 2nd (Eastern)
|Playoff finish||Conference Semifinals|
(Lost to Pacers 2–4)
|Television||MSG Network, MSG Plus, WWOR|
The 2012–13 New York Knicks season was the 67th season of the franchise in the National Basketball Association (NBA). They clinched a playoff berth on March 22, 2013, with a win over the Toronto Raptors, and clinched the Atlantic division title on April 9 against the Washington Wizards.
This was the Knicks' first Atlantic division title since the 1993–94 season, their highest win total since the 1996–97 season, their first 50-win season as well as the first time they advanced past the first round since the 1999–2000 season.
As of 2020, the Knicks have not returned to the playoffs since this season.
- June 28: The 2012 NBA draft takes place at Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey.
- July 11: 2012 NBA Free Agency begins.
|Round||Pick||Player||Position||Nationality||School / College|
|2||48||Kostas Papanikolaou||F||Greece||Olympiacos B.C.|
|2012–13 New York Knicks roster|
|2012 pre-season game log|
Pre-season: 3–3 (Home: 0–0; Road: 3–3)
|2012–13 season schedule|
|2013 playoff game log|
First round: 4–2 (Home: 2–1; Road: 2–1)
Conference Semifinals: 2–4 (Home: 2–1; Road: 0–3)
|2013 playoff schedule|
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game|
|J. R. Smith||80||0||33.5||.415||.352||.785||5.1||2.7||1.27||0.31||17.7|
Awards, records, and milestones
- On December 3, 2012 Carmelo Anthony was named the Eastern Conference Player of the week for November 26 to December 2.
- On April 1, 2013 J.R. Smith was named the Eastern Conference Player of the week for March 25 to April 1.
- On April 8, 2013 Carmelo Anthony was named the Eastern Conference Player of the week for April 1 to April 7.
- On April 15, 2013 Carmelo Anthony was named the Eastern Conference Player of the week for April 8 to April 14, his second consecutive (3rd overall) week winning the award.
- Carmelo Anthony was voted as a starter to the 2013 NBA All-Star Game (6th Selection).
- Tyson Chandler was voted as a reserve to the 2013 NBA All-Star Game (1st Selection).
- Carmelo Anthony set a franchise record of 31 consecutive games played with 20+ points, lasting from November 16 against the Grizzlies and ending on February 2 against the Kings.
- Tyson Chandler tied the franchise record (previously set by Willis Reed in 1969) of 3 consecutive games played with 20+ rebounds against the Bucks, Kings, and Pistons in games played on February 1 through February 4.
- Carmelo Anthony tied the franchise record of 5 consecutive games played with 35+ points (previously set by Bernard King in 1985) in games played April 2 through April 9.
- The Knicks tied the franchise record of 20 3-point shots made in a game on April 9 against the Washington Wizards.
- After the Knicks beat the Oklahoma City Thunder on April 7, coach Mike Woodson improved to 68-32 as Knicks head coach, the best 100 game mark in franchise history.
- The Knicks set new NBA records of 891 3-point shots made and 2371 3-point shots attempted in a season.
- On February 8, 2013 Jason Kidd broke the 12,000 career assist mark against the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Via free agency
|Players Lost |
Via free agency
|Player||Date Signed||Former team|
|Jason Kidd||July 11||Dallas Mavericks|
|James White||July 11||Scavolini Pesaro|
|Steve Novak||July 11||Re-signed|
|J. R. Smith||July 11||Re-signed|
|Pablo Prigioni||July 24||Saski Baskonia|
|Ronnie Brewer||July 25||Chicago Bulls|
|Rasheed Wallace||September 28||Boston Celtics|
|Kenyon Martin||February 23||Los Angeles Clippers|
|Solomon Jones||April 12||Liaoning Hengye Jaguars|
|Quentin Richardson||April 15||Orlando Magic|
|Earl Barron||April 17||Washington Wizards|
|Landry Fields||July 14||Toronto Raptors||RFA | Offer Sheet|
|Jeremy Lin||July 18||Houston Rockets||RFA | Offer Sheet|
|Ronnie Brewer||February 21||Oklahoma City Thunder||Traded|
|Kurt Thomas||April 12||-||Waived|
|Solomon Jones||April 15||-||Waived|
|Rasheed Wallace||April 17||-||Retired/Waived|
|July 11, 2012||To New York Knicks
Marcus Camby (sign and trade)
|To Houston Rockets|
2014 second round pick
2015 second round pick
|July 14, 2012||To New York Knicks
Raymond Felton (sign and trade)
|To Portland Trail Blazers|
Jared Jeffries (sign and trade)
Draft rights to Georgios Printezis
2016 second round pick
|February 21, 2013||To New York Knicks
2014 second round pick
|To Oklahoma City Thunder|
- The Knicks started off 6–0, their best start since the 1993–94 season.
- The Knicks went 11–4 in November, the first time they won 11 games in a month since March 2000.
- The Knicks went 12–6 in March, the first time they won 12 games in a month since March 1994.
- The Knicks won 50 games for the first time since the 1999–2000 season.
- The Knicks won the Atlantic Division title for the first time since the 1993–94 season.
- The Knicks had a 13-game winning streak from March 18 to April 9, the third longest in franchise history, and the longest since the 1993–94 season had a 15-game winning streak.
- "Carmelo Anthony drops 37 as Knicks clinch playoff berth". USA Today. March 22, 2013. Retrieved 23 March 2013.
- "New York Knicks Statistics". NBA.com.
- "Anthony, Durant named conference Players of the Week". NBA.com. Archived from the original on 22 January 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "J.R. Smith, Jefferson named conference Players of Week". NBA.com. Archived from the original on 5 April 2013. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Anthony, Pekovic named conference Players of Week". NBA.com. Archived from the original on 9 April 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Knicks' Anthony, Lakers' Bryant named Players of the Week". NBA.com. Archived from the original on 19 April 2013. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "All-Star 2013 Roster". NBA.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Raymond Felton injures pinkie in Knicks' win over Bucks". Newsday. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- Taylor, Nate (February 5, 2013). "Knicks' Chandler on Cusp of a Team Rebound Mark". New York Times. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "NY Knicks clinch Atlantic Division title as Carmelo Anthony continues historic tear, but Kenyon Martin injured in win". New York Daily News. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Small ball fuels franchise-record 20 3s". ESPN.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Mike Woodson: NY Knicks are 'in desperate times right now to win a title'". New York: nydailynews.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Jason Kidd records 12,000th Assist". NBA.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Transactions: 2012–13 Season". NBA.com. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Knicks over Magic 99–89". NBA.com. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "Boston Celtics vs. New York Knicks – Recap – March 31, 2013". ESPN.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.