65th British Academy Film Awards
|65th British Academy Film Awards|
|Date||12 February 2012|
|Site||Royal Opera House, London|
|Hosted by||Stephen Fry|
|Best Film||The Artist|
|Best British Film||Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy|
|Best Actor||Jean Dujardin
|Best Actress||Meryl Streep
The Iron Lady
|Most awards||The Artist (7)|
|Most nominations||The Artist (12)|
The 65th British Academy Film Awards, more commonly known as the BAFTAs, were held on 12 February 2012 at the Royal Opera House in London, honouring the best national and foreign films of 2011. The nominations were announced on 17 January 2012 by actor Daniel Radcliffe and actress Holliday Grainger. Presented by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, accolades are handed out for the best feature-length film and documentaries of any nationality that were screened at British cinemas in 2011. Stephen Fry, who hosted from 2001 to 2006, returned to host the ceremony. The Artist won seven awards out of its twelve nominations, including Best Film, Best Director for Michel Hazanavicius, and Best Actor for Jean Dujardin. Meryl Streep won Best Actress for The Iron Lady. Christopher Plummer won Best Supporting Actor for Beginners and Octavia Spencer won Best Supporting Actress for The Help. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, directed by Tomas Alfredson, was voted Outstanding British Film of 2011. Director Martin Scorsese was given the BAFTA Fellowship and Sir John Hurt garnered the BAFTA Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema Award.
Winners and nominees
Philip Stockton, Eugene Gearty, Tom Fleischman, John Midgley – Hugo
Marese Langan – The Iron Lady
Gregers Sall, Chris King – Senna
The Skin I Live In (La piel que habito)
A Morning Stroll – Grant Orchard, Sue Goffe
Pitch Black Heist – John Maclean, Gerardine O'Flynn
- Most wins
- Most nominations
- 12 nominations The Artist
- 11 nominations Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
- 9 nominations Hugo
- 6 nominations My Week with Marilyn
- 5 nominations The Help and War Horse
- 4 nominations Drive, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, and The Iron Lady
- 3 nominations The Descendants, Moneyball, Senna, and We Need to Talk About Kevin
- 2 nominations The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn, Bridesmaids, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Ides of March, and Shame
- 17th Critics' Choice Awards
- 18th Screen Actors Guild Awards
- 32nd Golden Raspberry Awards
- 66th Tony Awards
- 69th Golden Globe Awards
- 84th Academy Awards
- BAFTA Film Awards Nominations in 2012, bafta.org, 17 January 2012.
- Stephen Fry Returns to British Academy Film Awards, bafta.org.
- Reynolds, Simon (12 February 2012). "Orange BAFTA Film Awards 2012 winners list – in full". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Pond, Steve (12 February 2012). "'The Artist' Dominates at BAFTA Awards". Reuters. Retrieved 12 February 2012.