2012 Belgian Grand Prix
|Race 12 of 20 in the 2012 Formula One season|
Layout of the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
|Date||2 September 2012|
|Official name||2012 Formula 1 Shell Belgian Grand Prix|
|Location||Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa, Belgium|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||7.004 km (4.352 mi)|
|Distance||44 laps, 308.052 km (191.415 mi)|
Track Temp 33 °C (91 °F)
|Time||1:52.822 on lap 43|
The 2012 Belgian Grand Prix (formally the 2012 Formula 1 Shell Belgian Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race that took place at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in Spa, Belgium on 2 September 2012, the first race after a five-week summer break. It was the twelfth race of the 2012 season, and the seventy-seventh running of the Belgian Grand Prix.
This was the 300th race for Michael Schumacher.
Tyre supplier Pirelli brought its silver-banded hard compound tyre as the harder "prime" tyre and the white-banded medium compound tyre as the softer "option" tyre.
The first free practice session began in wet conditions. Kamui Kobayashi ended the session fastest, having chosen to stay out early while other drivers pitted to begin work on their car setup. Ferrari's Felipe Massa failed to set a lap time when his car ground to a halt as he was about to enter the pits at the end of the installation lap. The second practice session saw even more rain fall, and large puddles of standing water on the circuit made running impractical. Only a handful of drivers set lap times, with Marussia's Charles Pic finishing the session fastest. The third and final session on Saturday morning was dry, allowing teams just one hour to complete as much of their testing programmes as possible ahead of qualifying and the race. Fernando Alonso went on to finish the session fastest.
Pastor Maldonado let his clutch slip a fraction too soon and started his race before the lights had gone out, passing the Saubers. Grosjean made a good start and moved up to the inside of La Source, but in doing so, squeezed Hamilton between himself and the pitwall. The two touched wheels, both drivers losing control. Grosjean then speared into the back of Pérez and became airborne, crashing heavily into Alonso, missing Alonso's head by a few inches. Grosjean came to rest at the outside wall. Hamilton crashed into Kobayashi as well as Alonso after Grosjean's heavy impact. Pérez lost his rear wing from Grosjean's hit and touched Maldonado when the accident happened, making Maldonado spin. Only the latter two emerged from the crash, Kobayashi with a substantial hole in the side of his car. Kobayashi who had started on the front row for Sauber, pitted after the accident and resumed in last place. Once Maldonado recovered from his spin he hit Timo Glock after the safety car restart. Narain Karthikeyan's HRT spun off backwards and hit into the tyre wall late in the race after a wheel came loose. After starting the race in 14th, Felipe Massa fought hard to get the fifth place, ahead of Red Bull’s Mark Webber. Bruno Senna had eighth position secured but due to a slow puncture he had to make a pitstop with only four laps left in the race, dropping him to 12th.
Button, who started on pole, was never under threat as Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel fought from 10th to 2nd, ahead of Lotus' Kimi Räikkönen.
Romain Grosjean was fined €50,000 and was given a one-race ban at the Italian Grand Prix for his role in the crash at the start.
Pastor Maldonado was given two five-place grid penalties at the Italian Grand Prix, the first of which was for his jump start and the second for causing an avoidable collision with Glock.
|Pos.||No.||Driver||Constructor||Part 1||Part 2||Part 3||Grid|
|7||2||Mark Webber||Red Bull-Renault||1:49.859||1:48.546||1:48.392||122|
|10||11||Paul di Resta||Force India-Mercedes||1:50.033||1:48.729||1:48.890||9|
|11||1||Sebastian Vettel||Red Bull-Renault||1:49.722||1:48.792||10|
|12||12||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:49.362||1:48.855||11|
|15||17||Jean-Éric Vergne||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:49.763||1:49.354||15|
|16||16||Daniel Ricciardo||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:49.572||1:49.543||16|
|22||22||Pedro de la Rosa||HRT-Cosworth||1:53.030||21|
|107% time: 1:56.622|
- ^1 — Pastor Maldonado received a three-place grid penalty for impeding Nico Hülkenberg in Q1.
- ^2 — Mark Webber and Nico Rosberg both received a five-place grid penalty for changing their gearboxes before the race.
Championship standings after the race
Drivers' Championship standings
Constructors' Championship standings
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "2012 Formula 1 Shell Belgian Grand Prix". formula1.com. Formula One Administration. Archived from the original on July 18, 2012. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "2012 FORMULA 1 SHELL BELGIAN GRAND PRIX (Race)". formula1.com. Formula One Administration. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2013.[dead link]
- Collantine, Keith (7 December 2011). "United States Grand Prix remains on unchanged 2012 F1 calendar". F1 Fanatic. Keith Collantine. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- Collantine, Keith (1 September 2012). "Button and Kobayashi share front row at Spa". F1 Fanatic. Keith Collantine. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Collantine, Keith (2 September 2012). "Button storms to Spa win after first-lap shunt". F1 Fanatic. Keith Collantine. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Elizalde, Pablo (29 July 2012). "Fernando Alonso amazed to leave Hungary with extended Formula 1 championship lead". Autosport.com. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Pirelli reveal tyre choices for final three rounds". Formula One. 16 October 2012. Archived from the original on January 11, 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- Collantine, Keith (1 September 2012). "Maldonado drops to sixth as Raikkonen avoids penalty". F1 Fanatic. Keith Collantine. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- "Webber gets grid penalty amid Spa practice washout". SpeedCafe. 31 August 2012. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2012 Belgian Grand Prix.|
2012 Hungarian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2012 Italian Grand Prix
2011 Belgian Grand Prix
|Belgian Grand Prix||Next race:
2013 Belgian Grand Prix