2012 Kamaishi earthquake
|Date||December 7, 2012|
|Origin time||08:18 UTC (17:18 local time)|
|Duration||about 1 minute|
|Depth||36.1 km (22 mi)|
|Max. intensity||MMI V
|Tsunami||1.0 m in Ishinomaki, Miyagi|
|Casualties||3 dead, 14 injured |
The 2012 Kamaishi earthquake occurred near the city of Kamaishi, Japan, on December 7. The magnitude 7.3 shock generated a small tsunami, with waves up to 1 m high, that hit Ishinomaki in Miyagi Prefecture. It occurred at a depth of 36 km within the Pacific Plate and was the result of reverse faulting, about 20 kilometres (12 mi) east of the Japan Trench.
The 1 metre (3.3 ft) tsunami caused a mountain of sandbags to collapse in Ishinomaki. An old man went missing and was found dead on December 14 after he sailed out to sea to try to evacuate from the tsunami in Kuji.
Some pipeworks were damaged in an old people's facility in Saitama. Some boards in a roof of an elementary school in Ichikai shifted. An elderly lady died of shock at her home in Marumori, and a man died of shock after trying to evacuate from where he was working in Iitate, causing a total of 3 deaths. This earthquake also caused 14 injuries.
Previous earthquakes in Kamaishi
In 2001 and 2008, there were a series of micro earthquakes that could have started the tectonic plate movement that spawned the 2012 Kamaishi earthquake. These small series of earthquakes were a magnitude of about 3-4.9. It is studied that the shocks moved from the outer and deeper limits into the mainshock epicenter. These small earthquakes were a precursor that began the tectonic movement for the 2012 earthquake.
- "M7.3 - 245km SE of Kamaishi, Japan". earthquake.usgs.gov. USGS. 7 December 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "三陸沖地震 埼玉県内も震度４ 女性１人けが". 産経新聞. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- "Small tsunami waves hit Japan after 7.3-magnitude earthquake". NBC.
- "東北、関東で震度５弱＝宮城・石巻に津波１メートル－１１人けが、沿岸部は一時避難". 時事ドットコム. 2012-12-07. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- "２万５０００人が一時避難 震度５弱 交通機関ほぼ平常に". 河北新報. 2012-12-08. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- "東北震度５弱:８県で１４人けが". 毎日新聞. 2012-12-08. Retrieved 2012-12-09.
- "不明の船長、遺体で発見＝地震直後に沖合避難―岩手". 時事通信. 2012-12-14. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- "Kamaishi Japan Rocked By 7.3 Magnitude Earthquake & Ofunato Japan Shaken by 6.2 Quake".
- "Japan earthquake sparks tsunami scare". BBC News. 2012-12-07.
- "三陸沖地震 宇都宮で男性軽傷、市貝町で小学校の天井がずれる". 産経新聞. 8 December 2012. Retrieved 9 December 2012.
- Uchida, Naoki; Matsuzawa, Toru; Ellsworth, William L.; Imanishi, Kazutoshi; Shimamura, Kouhei; Hasegawa, Akira (2012-05-01). "Source parameters of microearthquakes on an interplate asperity off Kamaishi, NE Japan over two earthquake cycles". Geophysical Journal International. 189 (2): 999–1014. doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2012.05377.x. ISSN 0956-540X.
|This article about an earthquake is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|