2012 Tandridge District Council election
The 2012 Tandridge District Council election took place on 3 May 2012 to elect members of Tandridge District Council in Surrey, England. One third of the council was up for election and the Conservative party stayed in overall control of the council.
After the election, the composition of the council was
14 seats were contested in 2012, with a total of 49 candidates standing for election. Before the election the Conservatives ran the council with 34 of the 42 seats, while the Liberal Democrats had 6 seats. Other parties standing at the election were the UK Independence Party with 13 candidates, the Labour party with 6 candidates and 3 candidates from the Green party.
The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats finished with the same number seats, after each party gained a seat from the other. This left the Conservatives with 34 seats, the Liberal Democrats on 6 seats and there remained 2 independent councillors. The Conservatives won 11 of the 14 seats contested, after gaining Whyteleafe from the Liberal Democrats by 81 votes, while the council leader Gordon Keymer was among those to hold their seats.
However the Liberal Democrats won 3 seats and gained a seat from the Conservatives by 99 votes in Warlingham East, Chelsham and Farleigh, where Jeremy Pursehouse regaining a seat on the council he had lost at the 2008 election. Meanwhile, the UK Independence Party failed to win any seats, but did come second in three wards. Overall turnout at the election was 34.53%.
|Party||Seats||Gains||Losses||Net gain/loss||Seats %||Votes %||Votes||+/−|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Fowler||262||19.3||+7.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Alun Jones||211||20.9||-2.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Stuart Paterson||270||16.4||-12.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Robert Wingate||115||6.6||-4.9|
|Liberal Democrat||Hilary Turner||565||52.3||+9.4|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||Bob Tomlin||472||40.2||-5.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Peter Roberts||294||29.4||-10.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Jeremy Pursehouse||707||45.0||+7.8|
|Liberal Democrat gain from Conservative||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||Wendy Pursehouse||218||23.1||-6.3|
|Liberal Democrat||David Gosling||496||55.2||+12.9|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||David Lee||376||39.7||-2.5|
|Conservative gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing|
|Liberal Democrat||David Martin||82||13.3||+1.1|
By-elections between 2012 and 2014
A by-election was held in Burstow, Horne and Outwood on 2 May 2013 after the resignation of Conservative councillor Michael Keenan over the introduction of same-sex marriage. The seat was held for the Conservatives by Christopher Byrne with a majority of 151 votes over the UK Independence Party candidate Graham Bailey.
|Liberal Democrat||Judy Wilkinson||188||13.1||+13.1|
- "Vote 2012". BBC News Online. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Haran, Brian; Davies, Michael (10 May 2012). "Pub landlord brings cheers as Tories stay in firm control". Tandridge Mirror. NewsBank.
- "No clues to council says survey". Caterham Mirror. NewsBank. 19 April 2012. p. 1.
- Brooks, Angela (1 May 2012). "Election: Voting on the horizon for Tandridge". Surrey Advertiser. NewsBank.
- Haran, Brian (12 April 2012). "Long-serving councillor set to step down". Tandridge Mirror. NewsBank.
- Brooks, Angela (4 May 2012). "Election: Seat swap for Tories and Lib Dems". Surrey Advertiser. NewsBank.
- "Tandridge council remains in Conservative control after election". Surrey Mirror. 10 May 2012. Retrieved 9 March 2015.
- "District election results 2012". Tandridge District Council. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Angell, Gemma (21 February 2013). "East Surrey Conservative chairman resigns over gay marriage bill". Surrey Mirror. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Voters to go to the polls in the Life area on May 2". Redhill Reigate Horley Life. 25 April 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "County Council election results in Life area". This Is Local London. 7 May 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- "Burstow, Horne and Outwood". Tandridge District Council. Retrieved 8 March 2015.