2012 United States Olympic Trials (track and field)
|2012 United States Olympic Track And Field Trials|
|Dates||June 21–July 1|
|Host city||Eugene, Oregon, U.S.|
|Events||40 (men: 20; women: 20)|
The 2012 United States Olympic Trials for track and field were held at Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon. Organized by USA Track and Field, the ten-day competition lasted from June 21 until July 1 and served as the national championships in track and field for the United States.
The results of the event determined qualification for the American Olympic team at the 2012 Summer Olympics, to be held in London. Provided they had achieved the Olympic "A" standard, the top three athletes gained a place on the Olympic team. In the event that a leading athlete did not hold an "A" standard, or an athlete withdrew, the next highest finishing athlete with an "A" standard was selected instead.
The trials for the men's and women's marathon were held January 14 in Houston and the trials for the men's 50 km race walk were held January 22 in Santee, California. The hammer throw competitions were held at the Nike facility in Beaverton, Oregon.
Key: . Athlete without "A" standard, not selected
Men track events
|100 metres||Justin Gatlin||9.80||Tyson Gay||9.86||Ryan Bailey||9.93|
(Wind: +2.3 m/s)
|Wallace Spearmon||19.82w||Maurice Mitchell||20.14w||Isiah Young||20.16w|
|400 metres||LaShawn Merritt||44.12||Tony McQuay||44.49||Bryshon Nellum||44.80|
|800 metres||Nick Symmonds||1:43.92||Khadevis Robinson||1:44.64||Duane Solomon||1:44.65|
|1500 metres||Leonel Manzano||3:35.75||Matthew Centrowitz||3:35.84||Andrew Wheating||3:36.68|
|5000 metres||Galen Rupp||13:22.67||Bernard Lagat||13:22.82||Lopez Lomong||13:24.47|
|10,000 metres||Galen Rupp||27:25.33 CR||Matt Tegenkamp||27:33.94||Dathan Ritzenhein||27:36.09|
|110 metres hurdles||Aries Merritt||12.93||Jason Richardson||12.98||Jeff Porter||13.08|
|400 metres hurdles||Michael Tinsley||48.33||Angelo Taylor||48.57||Kerron Clement||48.89|
|3000 metres steeplechase||Evan Jager||8:17.40||Donald Cabral||8:19.81||Kyle Alcorn||8:22.17|
|20 km walk||Trevor Barron||1:23:00.10 NR, CR||Tim Seaman≠||1:27:29.48||Nick Christie≠||1:29:47.30|
Men field events
|High jump[a]||Jamie Nieto||2.28 m (7 ft 5 3⁄4 in)||Erik Kynard||2.28 m (7 ft 5 3⁄4 in)||Nick Ross≠||2.28 m (7 ft 5 3⁄4 in)|
|Pole vault[b]||Brad Walker||5.67 m (18 ft 7 in)||Jeremy Scott||5.60 m (18 ft 4 1⁄4 in)||Scott Roth≠||5.60 m (18 ft 4 1⁄4 in)|
|Long jump||Marquise Goodwin||8.33 m (27 ft 3 3⁄4 in)||Will Claye||8.23 m (27 ft 0 in)||George Kitchens||8.21 m (26 ft 11 in)|
|Triple jump||Christian Taylor||17.63 m (57 ft 10 in)||Will Claye||17.55 m (57 ft 6 3⁄4 in)||Walter Davis≠||16.69 m (54 ft 9 in)|
|Shot put||Reese Hoffa||22.00 m (72 ft 2 in)||Ryan Whiting||21.66 m (71 ft 3⁄4 in)||Christian Cantwell||21.28 m (69 ft 9 3⁄4 in)|
|Discus throw[c]||Lance Brooks||65.15 m (213 ft 8 in)||Jarred Rome||63.35 m (207 ft 10 in)||Jason Young||62.15 m (203 ft 10 in)|
|Hammer throw[d]||Kibwe Johnson||74.97 m (245 ft 11 in)||Chris Cralle≠||74.36 m (243 ft 11 in)||A. G. Kruger||73.93 m (242 ft 6 in)|
|Javelin throw[e]||Sam Humphreys≠||81.86 m (268 ft 6 in)||Sam Crouser≠||80.80 m (265 ft 1 in)||Craig Kinsley||79.92 m (262 ft 2 in)|
|Decathlon[f]||Ashton Eaton||9039 WR, CR||Trey Hardee||8383||Gray Horn≠||7954|
- a As a result of Nick Ross not having the "A" standard of 2.31 m, fourth-place finisher Jesse Williams was included on the Olympic team as he had an "A" standard.
- b As a result of Scott Roth not having the "A" standard of 5.72 m, fourth-place finisher Derek Miles was included on the Olympic team as he held an "A" standard.
- c Brooks was the only individual to throw over the "A" standard of 65.00 m in the competition. However, Rome and Young threw the "A" standard in earlier competitions.
- d Johnson and Kruger were selected for the Olympic team as both had achieved the "A" standard (78.00 m) from earlier competitions.
- e Kinsley was included on the Olympic team as he previously held the "A" standard of at least 82.00 m. In addition, fourth-place finisher Sean Furey (77.86 m) and fifth-place finisher Cyrus Hostetler (77.63 m) was included as they held the "A" standard beforehand.
- f Marks for Eaton were: 10.21 (+0.4 m/s) for 100 metres, 8.23 m (+0.8 m/s) for the long jump, 14.20 m for the shot put, 2.05 m for the high jump, 46.70 for 400 metres, 13.70 for the 110 metres hurdles, 42.81 m for the discus throw, 5.30 m for the pole vault, 58.87 m for the javelin throw, and 4:14.48 for the 1500 metres run. Eaton's performance in the 100 metres and long jump were decathlon bests. He placed first in seven of the ten events. He is now only the second decathlete (after Roman Šebrle) ever to break the 9,000-point barrier. Note Eaton's 8.23 m in the long jump would have tied for second in the men's long jump final.
Key: . Athlete without "A" standard, not selected
Women track events
|100 metres[g]||Carmelita Jeter||10.92||Tianna Madison||10.96||Jeneba Tarmoh
|200 metres||Allyson Felix||21.69 CR||Carmelita Jeter||22.11||Sanya Richards-Ross||22.22|
|400 metres||Sanya Richards-Ross||49.28||DeeDee Trotter||50.02||Francena McCorory||50.43|
|800 metres||Alysia Montaño||1:59.08||Geena Gall||1:59.24||Alice Schmidt||1:59.46|
|1500 metres||Morgan Uceny||4:04.59||Shannon Rowbury||4:05.11||Jennifer Simpson||4:05.17|
|5000 metres||Julie Culley||15:13.77||Molly Huddle||15:14.40||Kim Conley||15:19.79|
|10,000 metres[h]||Amy Hastings||31:58.36||Natosha Rogers≠||31:59.21||Shalane Flanagan||31:59.69|
|100 metres hurdles||Dawn Harper||12.73||Kellie Wells||12.77||Lolo Jones||12.86|
|400 metres hurdles||Lashinda Demus||53.98||Georganne Moline||54.33||Ti'erra Brown||54.81|
|3000 metres steeplechase||Emma Coburn||9:32.78||Bridget Franek||9:35.62||Shalaya Kipp||9:35.73|
|20 km walk[i]||Maria Michta||1:34:53.33||Miranda Melville≠||1:34:56.92||Erin Gray≠||1:35:40.05|
Women field events
|High jump||Chaunte Lowe||2.01 m (6 ft 7 in)||Brigetta Barrett||2.01 m (6 ft 7 in)||Amy Acuff||1.95 m (6 ft 4 3⁄4 in) W35 AR|
|Pole vault||Jenn Suhr||4.60 m (15 ft 1 in)||Becky Holliday||4.55 m (14 ft 11 in)||Lacy Janson||4.50 m (14 ft 9 in)|
|Long jump||Brittney Reese||7.15 m (23 ft 5 1⁄4 in)||Chelsea Hayes||7.10 m (23 ft 3 1⁄2 in)||Janay DeLoach||7.08 m (23 ft 2 1⁄2 in)|
|Triple jump[j]||Amanda Smock||13.94 m (45 ft 8 3⁄4 in)||Sheena Gordon≠||13.83 m (45 ft 4 1⁄4 in)||Andrea Geubelle≠||13.79 m (45 ft 2 3⁄4 in)|
|Shot put||Jillian Camarena-Williams||19.16 m (62 ft 10 1⁄4 in)||Michelle Carter||18.57 m (60 ft 11 in)||Tia Brooks||18.34 m (60 ft 2 in)|
|Discus throw[k]||Stephanie Brown Trafton||65.18 m (213 ft 10 in)||Aretha Thurmond||62.23 m (204 ft 2 in)||Suzy Powell-Roos≠||60.20 m (197 ft 6 in)|
|Hammer throw||Amber Campbell||71.80 m (235 ft 6 in)||Amanda Bingson||71.78 m (235 ft 5 in)||Jessica Cosby||70.77 m (232 ft 2 in)|
|Javelin throw[l]||Brittany Borman||61.51 m (201 ft 9 in)||Kara Patterson||59.79 m (196 ft 1 in)||Kimberley Hamilton≠||58.04 m (190 ft 5 in)|
|Heptathlon||Hyleas Fountain||6419 pts||Sharon Day||6343 pts||Chantae McMillan||6188 pts|
- g Tarmoh was initially declared the winner for third. However, upon further review, officials announced it was indeed a dead heat between her and Felix. At the time of the race, there was no procedure for settling such a tie. After deliberation, USA Track & Field stated that either athlete will have the option of deferring the spot. In that case, the relinquisher will automatically be named an alternate and the other will have the spot. If neither athlete decides to defer, they will have the option of a coin toss or run-off to determine the winner. If the athletes cannot reach a consensus on which method to utilize, a run-off will take place. In the event that both athletes have no preference, a coin toss will occur. If one athlete has a preference and the other does not, the preference will occur. Included on the USATF leadership, inventing the procedure was USATF President Stephanie Hightower, herself the odd person out of perhaps the previous closest race decision in trials history; the 1984 women's 100 m hurdles. Ultimately, Tarmoh decided to defer, thus giving Felix the spot.
- h As a result of Rogers not having an "A" standard (31:45.00) and Flanagan opting to compete in the marathon instead (although she holds an "A" standard), fourth-place finisher Lisa Uhl (32:03.46) and seventh-place finisher Janet Cherobon-Bawcom (32:17.06) was included on the Olympic team as both were the only other runners in the race to have achieved the "A" standard from earlier competitions.
- i Michta was the only American representative in the 20 km walk as she held the "B" standard (1:38:00) previously.
- j Smock was the only American representative in the triple jump as she held the "B" standard (14.10 m) previously.
- k Sixth-place finisher Gia Lewis-Smallwood (58.78 m) was included on the Olympic team as she held an "A" standard (63.97 m, with the standard being 62.00 m) from May.
- l Fourth-place finisher Rachel Yurkovich (56.85 m) was included on the Olympic team as she held the "A" standard of at least 61.00 m.
- Gordon, Ed (2012-06-23). Rupp and Hastings battle through heavy rain in Eugene - USA Olympic Trials, Day 1. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-06-23.