2012 in Indian sports
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- M. Chitra wins the women's snooker title at the Manisha National Billiards and Snooker Championship.
- 19–23 January: Rajasthan defeats Tamil Nadu for the 78th Ranji Trophy in cricket.
- 28 January: In tennis, Leander Paes and Radek Štěpánek of the Czech Republic win the men's doubles at the Australian Open.
- 28 January: Australia defeats India 4–0 in the Test Series in Australia.
- Ajay Mittal wins the shotgun gold medal at the 55th National Shooting Championships.
- 18 February: The 2012 Summer Olympics Men's qualification 1 and 2012 Summer Olympics Women's qualification 1 begin in New Delhi.
- 26 February: The South African women's field hockey team defeats the Indian women's team, qualifying for the London Olympics.
- 26 February: The Indian men's field hockey team qualify for the London Olympics.
- 29 February: The first season of World Series Hockey begins.
- M.C. Mary Kom and Laishram Sarita Devi are gold medalists at the Asian Women's Boxing Championship.
- March 3: Mahesh Bhupati and Rohan Bopanna win the doubles title at the Dubai Tennis Championships.
- 5 March: The 2012 I-League 2nd Division Final Round in football begins.
- 10 March: Rahul Dravid retires from international cricket after a 16-year career.
- 13 March: In football, India is eliminated from the AFC Challenge Cup after losing three matches in the group stage.
- 16 March: Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar scores his 100th international hundred against Bangladesh in the Asia Cup.
- 2 April: Sher-e-Punjab wins the 2012 World Series Hockey final, defeating Pune Strykers 5–2.
- 4 April: The Twenty20 cricket Indian Premier League begins.
- 12 April: Shiva Thapa became the youngest Indian boxer to qualify for the Olympics.
- 16 April: The 2012 I-League U20 begins.
- 17 April: The 2012 I-League 2nd Division Final Round ends, with ONGC and United Sikkim promoted to the 2012–13 I-League.
- 5 May: Archer Deepika Kumari wins her first World Cup individual recurve gold medal in Antalya, Turkey by defeating Korea's Lee Sung Jin in the final.
- 2011–12 I-League football season ends.
- 10 May: Viswanathan Anand defends his world chess championship title against Boris Gelfand from May 10–31.
- 18 May: Mary Kom qualifies for the London Olympics.
- 19 April: 2012 I-League U20 ends, with Pune F.C. U-20 champions.
- 27 May: The 2012 Indian Premier League finals are held at the M.A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai. Kolkata Knight Raiders win, defeating two-time champion (and host) Chennai Super Kings.
- 29 May - 2 June: First leg of the Indian Volley League
- 4–8 June: Second leg of the Indian Volley League
- 12–16 June: Third leg of the Indian Volley League
- 20–24 June: Fourth leg of the Indian Volley League
- July 31: Gagan Narang wins a bronze medal in the men's 10m air rifle at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
- July 27 – August 12: India at the 2012 Summer Olympics:
- August 3: Vijay Kumar wins a silver medal in the 25m Men's rapid-fire pistol at the Olympics.
- August 4: Saina Nehwal wins the bronze medal in women's badminton singles at the Olympics, after opponent Wang Xin retired with a knee injury while leading 21–18, 1–0.
- August 8: Mary Kom wins the bronze medal in women's flyweight boxing at the Olympics.
- August 11: Yogeshwar Dutt wins the bronze medal in men's 60 kg freestyle wrestling at the Olympics.
- August 12: Sushil Kumar wins the silver medal in men's 66 kg freestyle wrestling at the Olympics.
- 23–27 August: First test between India and New Zealand of New Zealand's tour of India 2012 at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in Hyderabad, India; India won by an innings and 115 runs.
- 31 August – 4 September: Second test between India and New Zealand of New Zealand's tour of India at M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore
- 2 September - India defeats Cameroon for its third consecutive football Nehru Cup.
- 8 September: First T20 between India and New Zealand of New Zealand's tour of India at ACA-VDCA Stadium in Vishakhapatnam
- 11 September: Second T20 between India and New Zealand of New Zealand's tour of India at MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai
- 16 September: The India women's national football team win the 2012 SAFF Women's Championship.
- 18 September – 7 October: Indian men's and women's cricket teams at the ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka
- 22 September: First season of the Elite Football League of India begins.
- 28 October: Second Indian Grand Prix at Buddh International Circuit, Greater Noida; won by Germany's Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull Racing for the second time.
- 15–19 November: First test between India and England of England's tour of India at Sardar Patel Stadium, Ahmedabad
- 23–27 November: Second test between India and England of England's tour of India at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
- 5–9 December: Third test of England's tour of India at Eden Gardens, Kolkata
- 13–17 December: Fourth test of England's tour of India at Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Nagpur
- 20 December: First T20 of England's tour of India at Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium, Pune
- 22 December: Second T20 of England's tour of India at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai
|2012 Winter Youth Olympics||0||0||0||Report|
|2012 Summer Olympics||0||2||4||Report|
|2012 Summer Paralympics||0||1||0||Report|
|2012 Asian Beach Games||2||0||1||Report|
|American Football||2012-13 Elite Football League of India||TBA||22 September 2012||18 February 2012|
|Association Football||2011–12 I-League||Dempo||October 2011||May 2012|
|2012 I-League 2nd Division||Royal Wahingdoh
|2012 I-League 2nd Division Final Round||ONGC
||5 March 2012||17 April 2012|
|2012 I-League U20||Pune U-20||16 April 2012||19 May 2012|
|2012–13 I-League||Churchill Brothers||6 October 2012||12 March 2013|
|Cricket||2011–12 Ranji Trophy||Rajasthan||23 January 2012|
|2012 Indian Premier League||Kolkata Knight Riders||4 April 2012||27 May 2012|
|2012–13 Ranji Trophy||Mumbai||30 January 2013|
|Field Hockey||2012 World Series Hockey||Sher-e-Punjab||29 February 2012||2 April 2012|
|2012-13 World Series Hockey||Cancelled||15 December 2012||20 January 2013|
|Rugby Union||2012 All India & South Asia Rugby Tournament||Bombay Gymkhana|
|Volleyball||Indian Volley League||Cancelled||29 May 2012||24 June 2012|
- Chitra Magimairaj's long wait ends
- Ranji Trophy Elite, 2011/12
- Paes and Stepanek win Australian Open doubles title Archived January 31, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "4th Test: Australia v India at Adelaide, Jan 24-28, 2012 | Cricket Scorecard". ESPN Cricinfo. 28 January 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "Standing tall, ‘The Wall' bows out". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 10 March 2012.
- "Cricket history for Sachin, but Bangladesh chase down India's 289". Hindustan Times. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 18 April 2012.
- Shiva Thapa
- "Mary Kom qualifies for London Olympics". The Times Of India. 18 May 2012.