2013 "Pro Europe" demonstration in Moldova
|"Pro Europe" demonstration
in Chișinău, 2013
|Date||November 3, 2013
|Perpetrators||Pro-EU activists and anti-communist demonstrators|
No. of participants
|Demonstrators: around 117,000.|
The "Pro Europe" demonstration took place in the capital of Moldova, Chișinău, on November 3, 2013. Demonstration was organised by three parties of the governmental coalition: Liberal Democratic Party of Moldova, Democratic Party of Moldova and Liberal Reformists Party. It's estimated that around 100,000 people participated at the demonstration, being the biggest mass group or collection of groups of people, since Moldovan Declaration of Independence.
Originally, the organisators says that at the demonstration were participated around 100,000 people, but police says that it estimated crowd at 60,000 people. However, police reevaluated his number and in an official communicate declared that at the demonstration took part around 117,000 people. The crowd of people gathered in Moldova’s capital Chișinău, on November 3, 2013 to show their support for closer ties with the European Union. It comes a few weeks before a summit in Vilnius, Lithuania where Moldova hopes to sign a partnership agreement with the EU.
Moldovan President, Nicolae Timofti, told the crowds:
The European integration is a chance to rebuild our economy, improve the quality of life and ensure prosperity of all citizens, to build a society with a clear vision.
The demonstration was organised by the Moldovan government which wants to send a clear message to Brussels. However the country is under pressure from Russia which says closer ties with the EU would have “serious consequences” for Moldovan workers in Russia and the export of its goods.
- (in Romanian) 100 de mii oameni, potrivit organizatorilor, au venit in PMAN. Declaratia Pro Europeana, votata, 3 Noiembrie 2013, PRO TV
- Poliția: La mitingul Pro-Europa au participat aproximativ 117.000 de oameni, PUBLIKA.MD, publicat in data de 04-11-2013
- Tens of thousands join ‘pro-Europe’ rally in Moldova’s capital, euronews.com
- (in Romanian) Vocea de privighetoare a Valentinei Nafornița, cea care a deschis manifestația din 3 noiembrie, Unimedia.md
- (in Romanian) Manifestație pro-europeană: 100.000 de basarabeni au adoptat „Declarația de la Chișinău”, Sergiu Bidilă, A.M.PRESS
- (in Romanian) Declarația pro-europeană votată la manifestație, inprofunzime.md