2013 Belmont Stakes
|Date||June 8, 2013|
|Winning horse||Palace Malice|
|Jockey||Mike E. Smith|
The 2013 Belmont Stakes was the 145th running of the Belmont Stakes, the third jewel in the Triple Crown of Thoroughbred Racing. The race was held on June 8, 2013. For the third consecutive year, the race was run without the Triple Crown being at stake as 2013 Kentucky Derby winner Orb was defeated in the 2013 Preakness Stakes by Oxbow.
The official attendance was 47,562.
The Belmont Stakes Payout Schedule
- $2 Exacta: (12-7) $323.50
- $2 Trifecta: (12-7-5) $931.00
- $1 Superfecta: (12-7-5-6) $10,301.00
Both the Kentucky Derby winner Orb and the Preakness Stakes winner Oxbow entered the race. This was the 21st time that the winner of the Kentucky Derby and the winner of the Preakness Stakes competed in the race. A total of fourteen horses entered the race, tying for the second-largest field for the third time in the race's history.
Orb was the morning line favorite. Trainer Todd Pletcher entered a record 5 horses in the race, including the filly Unlimited Budget who was attempting to become the second filly to win the race in the modern era after Pletcher's 2007 winner Rags to Riches. Ridden by Rosie Napravnik, who in doing so, became the first woman jockey to ride all three Triple Crown races in a single year, the filly-and-female-jockey story garnered considerable press.
Oxbow held the lead late into the race until Palace Malice passed him with a quarter-mile to go. Palace Malice eventually won by 3 1⁄4 lengths. Orb made a run from back in the pack and finished third.
|Position||Post||Horse||Jockey||Morning Line Odds||Final Odds||Stake|
|1||12||Palace Malice||Mike E. Smith||15-1||13.80||$600,000|
|2||7||Oxbow||Gary L. Stevens||5-1||10.10||$200,000|
|4||6||Incognito||Irad Ortiz Jr.||20-1||18.20||$60,000|
|6||13||Unlimited Budget||Rosie Napravnik||8-1||14.30|
|7||3||Overanalyze||John R. Velazquez||12-1||10.30|
|9||14||Golden Soul||Robby Albarado||10-1||11.90|
|10||10||Will Take Charge||Jon Court||20-1||22.10|
|11||4||Giant Finish||Edgar Prado||30-1||32.25|
|12||8||Midnight Taboo||Garrett K. Gomez||30-1||30.25|
|13||2||Freedom Child||Luis Saez||8-1||8.10|
|14||1||Frac Daddy||Alan Garcia||30-1||30.50|
- "Race Day Info". belmontstakes.com. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "11th Race, Belmont Park, June 8, 2013". Equibase. June 8, 2013. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Melissa Hoppert (June 8, 2013). "Palace Malice Wins 145th Belmont Stakes". New York Times. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- Matt Gardner (5 June 2013). "Belmont Stakes 2013: Entries, Post Positions & Morning Line Odds". SB Nation. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Kyle C. Leach (6 June 2013). "Belmont Stakes 2013: Orb is favorite in field of 14; rematch with Oxbow set". The Star Ledger. nj.com. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- Colleen Thomas (4 June 2013). "Napravnik has another shot at history aboard Unlimited Budget at Belmont". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "Palace Malice wins at 13-1 odds". The Associated Press. espn.go.com. June 8, 2013. Retrieved June 8, 2013.