2013 Chicago Cubs season
|2013 Chicago Cubs|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Jed Hoyer|
CSN Chicago Plus
(Len Kasper, Jim Deshaies)
|Local radio||WGN (AM)
Chicago Cubs Radio Network
(Pat Hughes, Keith Moreland, Judd Sirott)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 2013 Chicago Cubs season was the 142nd season of the Chicago Cubs franchise, the 138th in the National League and the 98th at Wrigley Field. The Cubs finished fifth and last in the National League Central with a record of 66–96. The Cubs began the season on April 1 at the Pittsburgh Pirates and finished the season on September 29 at the St. Louis Cardinals.
The season marked the second year of the Cubs rebuild under President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein and General Manager Jed Hoyer which would result in the Cubs breaking their 108-year World Series drought and lead the Cubs to the 2016 World Series championship.
The season was the last season with the Cubs for manager Dale Sveum as he was fired following the season. The season was also the last season with the Cubs for slugger Alfonso Soriano who would be traded at the trade deadline.
During the season, the Cubs drafted future Rookie of the Year, MVP, and All Star Kris Bryant with the second overall pick of the 2013 Draft. The Cubs would also acquire other players that would play important roles during their 2016 World Series season: Héctor Rondón was selected from the 2012 rule 5 draft from the Cleveland Indians on December 6, 2011, Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop were acquired via trade with the Baltimore Orioles on July 2, and Carl Edwards Jr. and Justin Grimm were acquired via trade with the Texas Rangers on July 22.
- 1 Offseason transactions
- 2 Regular season transactions
- 3 Regular season
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- November 2, selected Zach Putnam off waivers from the Colorado Rockies.
- November 3, Jim Adduci, Justin Berg, Adrian Cardenas, Brian Esposito, Jeff Frazier, Diory Hernandez, Rodrigo Lopez, Seth McClung, Blake Parker, Horacio Ramirez, Ryan Rowland-Smith, Miguel Socolovich, Matt Tolbert, and Jairo Asencio granted free agency.
- November 7, signed Blake Parker as a free agent.
- November 13, signed Scott Baker and Alberto Gonzalez as free agents.
- November 14, signed Brian Bogusevic and J.C. Boscan as free agents.
- November 16, signed Dioner Navarro as a free agent.
- November 19, signed Shawn Camp as a free agent.
- November 20, traded Jake Brigham to the Texas Rangers. Received Barret Loux (minors).
- November 21, released Bryan LaHair.
- November 27, signed Scott Feldman as a free agent.
- November 30, Jaye Chapman, Zach Putnam, and Ian Stewart granted free agency.
- December 6, drafted Hector Rondon from the Cleveland Indians in the 2012 rule 5 draft.
- December 7, signed Jensen Lewis and Kyuji Fujikawa as a free agent.
- December 12, signed Ian Stewart as a free agent. Selected Sandy Rosario off waivers from the Boston Red Sox.
- December 13, signed Cory Wade as a free agent.
- December 15, signed Chang-Yong Lim as a free agent.
- December 17, signed Drew Carpenter as a free agent.
- December 21, signed Brad Nelson and Nate Schierholtz as a free agent. Jeff Beliveau selected by the Texas Rangers off waivers. Sandy Rosario selected by the San Francisco Giants off waivers.
- December 25, signed Jaye Chapman and Zach Putnam as a free agent.
- December 27, signed Hisanori Takahashi as a free agent.
- December 31, signed Dayan Diaz as a free agent.
- January 2, signed Edwin Jackson as a free agent.
- January 3, signed Dontrelle Willis as a free agent.
- January 10, signed Brent Lillibridge and Darnell McDonald as a free agent.
- January 26, signed Carlos Villanueva as a free agent.
- February 10, signed Scott Hairston as a free agent.
- February 18, traded Tony Campana to the Arizona Diamondbacks. Received Jesus Castillo (minors) and Erick Leal (minors).
- March 22, released Jason Berken.
- March 27, selected Guillermo Moscoso off waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays.
- March 30, released Dontrelle Willis.
Regular season transactions
- April 2, signed Ryan Sweeney as a free agent.
- April 3, signed Donnie Murphy as a free agent.
- April 4, released Jay Jackson.
- April 14, signed Kevin Gregg as a free agent. Selected Kameron Loe off waivers from the Seattle Mariners.
- April 16, selected Cody Ransom off waivers from the San Diego Padres.
- April 19, released Jensen Lewis. Selected Julio Borbon off waivers from the Texas Rangers.
- May 6, released Cory Wade.
- May 9, sold Alberto Gonzalez to the New York Yankees.
- May 10, sent Drew Carpenter to the Colorado Rockies as part of a conditional deal. Kameron Loe granted free agency.
- May 21, selected Eduardo Sanchez off waivers from the St. Louis Cardinals.
- May 27, selected Alex Burnett off waivers from the Baltimore Orioles.
- June 6, drafted Kris Bryant in the 1st round (2nd pick) of the 2013 amateur draft. Player signed July 12, 2013. Drafted Rob Zastryzny in the 2nd round of the 2013 amateur draft. Player signed June 17, 2013.
- June 7, drafted Zack Godley in the 10th round of the 2013 amateur draft. Player signed June 13, 2013.
- June 11, traded Ian Dickson (minors) to the Washington Nationals. Received Henry Rodriguez.
- June 21, sold Brent Lillibridge to the New York Yankees.
- June 22, sold Hisanori Takahashi to the Colorado Rockies.
- June 25, released Ian Stewart.
- July 2, sold Ronald Torreyes to the Houston Astros. Traded Steve Clevenger and Scott Feldman to the Baltimore Orioles. Received Jake Arrieta, Pedro Strop and cash. Traded Carlos Marmol and cash to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Received Matt Guerrier.
- July 7, released Shawn Camp.
- July 8, traded Scott Hairston, cash and player to be named to the Washington Nationals. Received Ivan Pineyro (minors) and player to be named.
- July 10, signed Edgar Gonzalez as a free agent.
- July 13, selected Cole Gillespie off waivers from the San Francisco Giants.
- July 18, released Esmailin Caridad.
- July 22, traded Matt Garza to the Texas Rangers. Received a player to be named later, Carl Edwards Jr., Justin Grimm, and Mike Olt. The Texas Rangers sent Neil Ramirez (August 23, 2013) to the Chicago Cubs to complete the trade.
- July 26, sold Guillermo Moscoso to the San Francisco Giants. Traded Alfonso Soriano and cash to the New York Yankees. Received Corey Black (minors).
- August 5, selected Thomas Neal off waivers from the New York Yankees.
- August 19, sold David DeJesus to the Washington Nationals.
- August 23, released Dayan Diaz.
- September 4, selected Daniel Bard off waivers from the Boston Red Sox.
- September 16, released Cody Ransom.
- October 1, Michael Bowden and Eduardo Sanchez granted free agency.
- October 3, selected Mat Gamel off waivers from the Milwaukee Brewers.
- October 10, J.C. Boscan granted free agency.
- October 11, Thomas Neal granted free agency.
- October 15, Darnell McDonald granted free agency.
- October 31, Scott Baker, Kevin Gregg, Matt Guerrier, and Dioner Navarro granted free agency
Opening Day starters
Monday, April 1, 2013 at Pittsburgh Pirates
NL Central Standings
|St. Louis Cardinals||97||65||0.599||—||54–27||43–38|
NL Wild Card
|St. Louis Cardinals||97||65||0.599|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||92||70||0.568|
Wild Card teams|
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|San Diego Padres||76||86||0.469||14|
|San Francisco Giants||76||86||0.469||14|
|New York Mets||74||88||0.457||16|
Record vs. opponents
2013 National League Records
Source: NL Standings Head-to-Head
|2013 Regular season game log: 66–96 (Home: 31–50; Away: 35–46)|
April: 10–16 (Home: 4–6; Away: 6–10)
May: 13–14 (Home: 9–8; Away: 4–6)
June: 12–15 (Home: 4–8; Away: 8–7)
July: 14–13 (Home: 6–7; Away: 8–6)
August: 8–20 (Home: 3–13; Away: 5–7)
September: 9–18 (Home: 5–8; Away: 4–10)
= Win = Loss = Postponement|
Bold = Cubs team member
|2013 Chicago Cubs|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; R = Runs Scored; H = Hits; 2b = Doubles; 3B = Triples; HR = Home Runs; Avg. = Batting Average; RBI = Runs Batted In; SB = Stolen Bases
|J. C. Boscán||6||9||1||2||1||0||0||0||.222||0|
Note: W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; G = Games pitched; GS = Games started; SV = Saves; IP = Innings pitched; H = Hits allowed; R = Runs allowed; ER = Earned runs allowed; BB = Walks allowed; K = Strikeouts
- reporter, Mark Gonzales, Tribune. "Cubs fire Sveum, seek 'spark of a winning culture'". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Soriano goes hitless in return with Yankees". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Rapid Reaction: Cubs draft 3B Bryant". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Cubs Select RHP Rondon from Cleveland in the Rule 5 Draft". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Cubs acquire Jake Arrieta, Pedro Strop from Orioles for Scott Feldman, Steve Clevenger". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Rangers acquire Garza in deal with Cubs". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "2013 Chicago Cubs Trades and Transactions | Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Chicago Cubs pitcher Matt Garza traded to Texas Rangers". Chicago Tribune. July 22, 2013. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- "Yankees acquire Soriano from Cubs". NY Post. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Perry, Dayn (August 19, 2013). "Nationals acquire David DeJesus from Cubs". CBSSports.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2013 Chicago Cubs season.|